The 2018 Midterms Game Day Thread of Angst, Worry, (and maybe some hope?)

fractional percentages confirmed.

It may not be enough to change the result.

Does that include provisional and absentee ballots?

Hand recounts find ballots that were rejected or uncounted by machine counters, but where the voter’s intent is clear to the human eye. So it impacts any machine counted ballets, or all of them.

Nelson’s lawyer:

A little bit about Elias: he was the main legal force helping to fight the court battle to have some of Virginia’s CDs declared as unconstitutional gerrymanders. He won the case, and the main area that was affected was in the southeast quadrant of the state.

Abigail Spanberger (who might be president some day!) and Elaine Luria are Democrats going to DC because Elias got the courts to agree with him and forced a re-draw.

If it’s Florida, it means we’re talking about undervote again.

Man, Florida, how many times you need to be taught the lesson that your vote counts. These close losses are heartbreaking.

Fingers crossd on the recount, I guess.

Couldn’t happen to a [bigger jerk].

State wide hand recount in Florida is going to be a crazy fiasco.

That undervote number in Broward county seem nuts.

Time for the SCOTUS to step in and declare the Republicans the victors because reasons.

What was the final vote breakdown in Broward county? I seem to remember early numbers being like 70% for the democrats.

68% Gollum, 32% DeRacist

Link?

Sure. Meant to circle back.

https://twitter.com/Nate_Cohn/status/1060600677284622336

https://twitter.com/Nate_Cohn/status/1060604755884552192

https://twitter.com/Nate_Cohn/status/1060605134516948993

https://twitter.com/Nate_Cohn/status/1060605432451006469

Democrats lead (narrowly) in two of those four CDs in Orange County. Republicans lead (narrowly) in the other two.

Thanks! I’m in CA45, and I really want to believe.

Because some of the other threads are kind of doom-and-gloom (partially due to me), I thought I’d share a few stories from the polling place last Tuesday.

To set this up, I’m the precinct organizer (I liked “precinct captain” better, but I guess it sounded too militant) for my neighborhood, which is an incredibly diverse and very liberal little corner of Fairfax County Virginia. We’ve got a mixture of fairly high-end homes, tiny townhouses, and aging bungalows. Our elementary school has a high population of “assisted lunch” students (i.e., poor) alongside the kids of big company executives. English is the second language of like 35% of the residents.

I had my next-door neighbor (who in 2017 put up a yard sign for the Republican state rep candidate) come over to me and confide that he voted straight-Democrat for the first time in his life. He did take pains to point out that he voted against the bond initiative. This is a guy who emigrated from Greece some twenty years ago and has consistently voted GOP because he’s terrified that the US will follow in his old country’s footsteps.

That wasn’t unique. I had at least two other guys come up to me after voting and confide the same thing: that they’ve always voted GOP but went all-Blue this round. My wife got a couple GOP women tell her the same thing.

I made a “selfie station” and stood it up near the entrance to the polling place. It was just a six-foot US flag suspended across a PVC frame with a laser-cut “I Voted 2018” sign. The idea was that if you see a Snapchat of your friend just having voted, you’re likely to go out and vote yourself. Kinda scruffy-looking, but anything will look that way after six hours of rain.

For most of the day it was pouring rain so very few people used it, but towards sundown it dried off a bit and a few folks took advantage of it.

But there were a few cases where my wife or I learned that it was someone’s first time voting. Usually this was me seeing someone who looked fairly young and asking them about it, but a few times it was a foreign-born new citizen shyly asking us for directions or instructions. After they would come out of the building, I’d ask them how it went ('cause sometimes there would be a problem), and if they were successful, we’d all cheer and have them stand in front of the sign with their families to take pictures. Seeing them grinning because we were just as excited as they were was easily the 2nd-best part of the day.

That’s awesome!

The feeling I get from the volunteers who run the voting stations is that, regardless of their actual political beliefs, they’re genuinely and earnestly excited about the institution of voting.

Like, it’s all old white people here who run our polls – I know statistically there’s a bunch of Trump supporters among them. But they see all these young people piling in and registering for the first time, and they’re just legitimately over the moon about it.

Yep, you rock T_W!