The 2023 20:20 Frame Game

Oh heck yeah. It’s a pretty light movie as far as fancy movie things go, but it’s a great mashup of a high school movie and Big Event movie, held together by Robin Harris being funny as hell.

Maybe it was just my upbringing, but I think Martin Lawrence just wasn’t a thing in the UK, at least until Bad Boys (and even then only in the context of Bad Boys).

Thankfully he’s not the center of the film, despite being the most successful actor involved (after the fact.) He’s a bit of comedy relief at most.

Did the Martin TV series not air there in UK? That was part of him being a thing so to speak.

Don’t think so, but maybe late at night on Channel 4 or something. It’s certainly not something that was a cultural touchstone and I don’t recall ever seeing it. Loads of sitcoms (most of them really), didn’t cross the pond back then (in both directions). Even Seinfeld was relegated to 11pm on BBC2 and was only really watched by comedy cognoscenti.

He plays somewhat of the same character you see in other things he is in. Imagine something akin to Frazier (the part of someone working on a radio show thinking they know everything) and King of Queens (the part where the man constantly gets pulled into shenanigans with his friends and ends up getting in trouble with his girlfriend (later, wife.) Like the guy trying to be the smart star but is sometimes a social misfit and has to ask his wife to forgive him a lot.

Martin kind of honed that character and to be fair, kind of also plays that character in everything else.

Pretty sure that’s from Pulse (aka Kairo). I remember that being one of the better ones from the J-horror boom.

Be positive, as you are correct. Very creepy horror from Japan 20+ years ago.

Happy to see that a thread for this movie exists here: Pulse (the original Japanese one)

The other frames:
40: (visual reminds me of the roof scenes from The Room)

60: (better visual representation of genre)

80: (framing reminiscent of end of The Graduate)

Final frame:

An earlier film by this director, Kiyoshi Kurosawa, was deemed Criterion-worthy- https://www.criterion.com/films/27666-cure

@charmtrap - To you sir!

Speaking of Seinfeld, it just so happens that I’m watching The Pitch for the first time. Is this where the whole “show about nothing” label came from, or was it a response to it? Because I’ve never really understood it - pretty much all sitcoms are as much shows about nothing as Seinfeld is. You have a premise for the main characters, which is usually very thin, and then random stuff happens to them.

I remember that episode. I think it was just made to be meta, in other words following the life of Jerry and getting the show about … Jerry wherein we become the audience which we … already are. This whole thing continues into Curb Your Enthusiasm when Larry David brings the cast together for a reunion and convinces them he can play the George character (who is really based on Larry David) and he falls flat because he plays George playing the character based on Larry David instead of playing it as himself.

All of the interaction with Larry David on Curb Your Enthusiasm and the original cast is like this ongoing joke where we get to laugh at the ridiculousness of a show plot being about a show we already watched. Highly recommended even if you just want to search for those scenes to see them.

New 20 here

A wild guess here, but Transcendence?

Never seen it, but given the background, 8mm?

[I assume those are actually 35mm]

Neither of these.

That’s gotta be House of Gucci, no?

No? Yes!

I will admit here that I haven’t actually seen HoG. I keep meaning to get around to it, but it’s like 2 1/2 hours long (as the number of shots above attest).

Looks good cinematically-speaking, though.

All yours @BellaConfusione!

Goddamnit, I had House of Gucci frames on ice but felt it was too obvious.

The movie is an absolute hoot, inadvertently. Those accents, in particular.

Plus, Camille Cottin is my French crush.

I hear you! Hope you checked out Death in Venice!

I didn’t have any interest in seeing House of Gucci, but those frames really do look good. Now someone needs to convince me to check out the other Adam Driver Italian biopic by a big name director as well.

New 20:

The 40: