The action roguelite thread

In RL1, platforming felt imprecise and bad, the different classes felt superficial, and I often felt that the escalating upgrade cost of the manor vs the money gained per run made it easy to screw up the build.

In RL2, I feel the opposite of all those things.

Second boss is considerably harder, but you also have more tools by the time you meet it. I almost won a couple times, so it’s a matter of time now. ;)

Funny you said that because I beat that one on my first try :-)
Maybe my stronghold was over developed by the time I made it there - level 56.

Nah, I’m level 72 or something and still can’t beat that. Though I’m wondering if we’re talking about the same one. ;)

The one in the Axis Mundi biome.

I beat that guy on my first try too. First boss took me 4 tries I think. Just got Aether Wings! That 3rd biome currently sucks to jump to right away. Too difficult for the amount of money I make. Think I’ll start on 2 for awhile.

The 3rd biome is more difficult but it seems like they drop gold much more frequently and in greater amount. Do you need to beat the 3rd biome boss to get the Aether Wings? It seems like I need something I don’t have to collect the lilies needed to open the boss door.

I didn’t find the bosses to be particularly hard (except the last one), but that was because I didn’t try to fight them at the first chance I had, but I waited until I could clear up the new biome I was playing (and without losing a ton of health in the process) before actually trying to fight the boss. So by the time I could do that, I had leveled up enough to beat them.

You need to find the wings before you can open the boss door. It’s in a room with one of the knights you can talk to.

I really like getting vampirism in Rogue Legacy 2. I’m struggling to beat boss 3, but with vampirism I can get close and collect a lot of loot on the way.

I got the trait that doubles the max hp , but doesn’t allow healing. I figured that would be a great one to make a beeline with to boss #3. Used the architect to lock the map for that run and teleported to the boss. Boss #3 dead. It felt like cheating. I’m at level 95 now.

Rogue Legacy 2: I’ve been stuck on the Stygian Study boss for a while now at level 107. I might be running out of steam. I was briefly happy when I thought I had him, but no luck. My best attempt against him was the double hp but no healing. I’m afraid I may have to grind too much to raise my hp and attack and I don’t know if I have it in me. It’s been fun getting here though.

Edit: All I needed to do was say I was going to quit and then I beat the boss, just like Dark Souls!

My progress on the later bosses all came in an insane RNG run where I had a trait that makes all relics the double version, and then I got 2 ambrosia relics. So that’s an extra 5 seconds on invulnerability on hit. It felt like cheating.

I’m now stuck on the final final boss. But I still like putting in a run or two every day, so I should be able to grind it out eventually with 50000 gold per day. And who knows, maybe I will even get better at playing.

Rogue Legacy 2: I gotta say my first impressions of the sun tower are not great. It does not seem fun. Plus I’m struggling to even take 2K gold where on the last level I’d frequently get 4-8K. When I get a good gold % earn bonus I may need to go through the other levels instead.

I just finished and started a new game+. I almost dropped the game at the Sun Tower. I agree with you, the Sun Tower is not fun at all.

The constant dodging of projectiles and enemies while platforming is really not my cup of tea. If you have the Astromancer, I suggest using the locking in the class and using it for that level.

So I think I’m at a similar level to most of you - I’m around level 90ish and am about to fight boss #3. I was trying to teleport directly to the stage I’m on for runs, but this is actually counterproductive. The increased difficulty means you end up earning not enough gold - you can end up hardly being able to buy anything.

So, like the Spelunky games, it seems worth your while to play past biomes as you are leveling up to increase your relic choice and money earned. Last time I ended a run with 15k which was an alltime high.

I barely stayed alive with it, but it was the first time I used it so I might just need practice. Do you know where the boss is usually located on that level? I think I made it to the top but I didn’t find anything noteworthy. I explored some to the sides, but my goal was to get as high as I could thinking that was where the boss would be.

When I have a good gold bonus I agree, I can make a ton of money starting at the first biome, and because it is relatively easy, I can get through it pretty quickly. I would liek to find that boss in the 5th biome though.

The boss is always at the top, usually you’ll be have to finish 3-4 climbs in the big rooms before you face him. You’ll find the room that leads to him have no ceiling so you’ll just have to jump up to reach it.
Re: Astromancer, 3 things. You can stay in the air indefinitely and you can use your talent to fly through all platforming areas. Lastly you can cheese lots of enemies using the wall or taking a higher platform since the Black Hole goes through both.

Looks like the devs made the Sun Tower easier

Sun Tower

Now grants a +20% gold gain to those traversing the Tower (similar to Axis Mundi).

• Windmill hitboxes updated to make them easier to spin kick and easier to dodge.

• Prime Hazards update: Removed the explosion damage, and fixed an issue where their body hitbox (what you can hit) was not linked properly and was instead using the hazards hitbox instead.

• Reduced platforming difficulty in a few of the rooms.

I have no luck with the Astromancer, but I finally made it to the boss with my knight and promptly locked the level. I’ve lost to the boss several times but I think I can win with a good starting boon, like 2x the HP. I don’t care if I don’t get any gold for beating the boss, I don’t want to unlock the level :-)

Edit: Got 'em with 31 hp to spare!