The Alienist. Not the book, the TV show.

Loved the book. Looking forward to the series.

That one episode a week thing is so 20th century.

So, aside from some inexplicable changes to the plot from the book (discovered when looking online) that made a couple of things rather confusing/nonsensical, this was rather dark, gritty, and entertaining. Definitely looking forward to more.

Between Murdoch, Frankie Drake, and this, quit a nice evening of historical procedurals.

Oh hey, I read this book back in I don’t know, the 90s? Kind of like a Sherlock Holmes story in late 19th century New York? I think I liked it though I think I may be confusing this with Mark Frost’s “The List of Seven.”

I have it set to record and hope to watch it on the weekend. Seems like a nice cast and the commercials look great, other than the fact they look very spoilery.

Watched the premiere and enjoyed it a lot. The production values in this show are very high quality, they really managed to get the look and feel of NYC circa-1896 down, and little touches of the 20th century being just around the corner were everywhere, from the construction of the bridge in the opening scenes to the typewriter that Dakota Fanning’s character is using in the police station to the forensic scientists Laszlo calls in to help him. The attention to detail in all the sets, costumes, etc. is really high, and that makes a show like this even more entertaining to watch.

Just read today that Netflix has bought the rights to this, and will be showing it in April - nice to hear its interesting!

So we watched the first episode and I enjoyed it. I will admit most of that comes from the leads and the setting. But I am willing to give the characters a chance to grow.

Makes me think of Larson’s book Devil in a White City.

My wife though while liking the setting and actors was rather put off by the subject matter. I am not sure she will last the whole series based on her reaction to the first episode.

My wife is the same way. Totally freaked out watching the beginning of Silence of the Lambs.

Anyone put off by the subject matter will not want to continue watching, as it does not get any better (and, in fact, gets worse) as the series progresses. We’re 3 episodes in now and the amount of disturbing material and scenes has been significant. That said, they’re integral to the story, so it’s not just gratuitous for shock value.

It’s a very good show thus far, I hope it gets renewed and that they can solve a different complex case every season.

Jesus. How is this show not getting more accolades? It’s damn good.

I’m going to wait to check this out until it hits Netflix in April, but can anyone comment on how close it’s sticking to the book so far?

Haven’t read the book, but from what I have been told it differs fairly significantly. The relationship between Roosevelt and Chrysler is set up differently (and incompletel so, I might add, leading to a couple of wtf moments early). More significantly, I believe the unsub is different, so that the whole thing takes place in the city, unlike the book

Finished the last episode today. Very good show. Both seasons solid, great performances, spot-on atmosphere and production values. Satisfying ending too, if there will not be more seasons.