The All-Positive Star Wars Opinions Thread

OK, so what was your original mindset then? Why did these fail to take hold with you before if you love them so much now?

I would think that the force field projector on the moon is simply to protect the DS while under construction. When completed it would have the same hyperdrive capability.

The Last Jedi was the first one to really connect with me emotionally. I really thought the characters were in peril for the first time in a Star Wars movie, and I really cared about happened to them for the first time. In the earlier movies, I never cared as much about the action scenes and other scenes since I never felt any sense of real excitement. Rian Johnson really managed to break through all my complaints about Star Wars not being realistic or being Fantasy more than Science Fiction (which I usually prefer), etc. When I suddenly cared about what happened, it flipped everything.

I’ve had that happen before – expectations and mindset are a huge part of the enjoyment of all media. Are you open to the idea that maybe the Last Jedi was just the movie you really gave a chance to (perhaps because your mindset changed over time), and that once you look at it in light of the originals, it may not be that great by itself? i.e. it’s not the Last Jedi that was a change, but rather you changed over time.

Nope, this is the all-positive Star Wars thread. Last Jedi was kickass.

I doubt I gave it much of a chance. I was already pretty skeptical going in. The movie had to overcome that skepticism and dislike of Star Wars in general, and it still came out ahead and actually made me a fan.

Don’t worry, it’s next up on the docket once I finish Force Awakens. This will be my first time watching it as a Star Wars fan, so we’ll see if it diminishes it in any way, I guess.

Those guys, a generation later, were just fine with their decision to pick… both sides?

I have to admit that Force Awakens works much better now that I’ve seen Last Jedi. I just know these characters so much better now. Snoke isn’t just some damn enigma trying to hint at the unknown, Kylo Ren isn’t just some kid who throws tantrums, I know his backstory, and what happened with Luke, and what will happen later with Snoke, so he’s much more interesting this time. Especially his scene with Han Solo.

And finally I saw Last Jedi again today. God, this movie is just sublime. There’s so many perfectly timed moments of euphoria, and moments where the rug is pulled out, and lots of moments of humor that are perfectly in line with the humor from the original trilogy. And funny enough, I thought those moments of triumph and disappointments would be dulled, but every beat in this movie is just so well made, I found myself anticipating it and feeling those emotions all over again as they came. It is definitely one of my all time favorite movies, and definitely my favorite out of these 10 movies now that my marathon is complete.

I really wish I’d timed this marathon better though. Now I want to go see Episode IX right now. But it’s not out until Christmas.

<Last Jedi Spoilers, obviously.>

Oh by the way, the eagle eyed Qt3 viewers who said Rose was still alive at the end of the movie were right, of course. It’s a blink-and-you-miss-it moment, and I caught it this time. I even know why I missed it last time. General Hux is played for humor throughout this movie to great effect, and this moment happens right after one of the bigger laughs from a Hux scene. He mouths off to Kylo Ren, and he gets pushed against the wall in a really comical way. And just as the audience is laughing, there’s a less-than-five-seconds scene where Finn brings in Rose and asks for medical attention for her.

I wish I’d caught this moment in the movie theater, because it really bothered me that Rose killed herself to save Finn, even though her whole reason for doing so would be that they live to fight another day.

I guess I live in a different universe than you.

You lived too long thinking Rose was dead.

I like those two characters, Rose and Finn, and look forward to more from them. Then again, I generally like Star Wars and will be at the theater near opening night when the next one comes anyways.

When I was a kid I didn’t understand that it was a different Death Star. I thought they just tried rebuilding the first one.

This cemented the idea that the Empire had acquired some scars, and were treating the Rebellion with more respect the second time around. As opposed to simply popping #2 out of the chute as if it were no big deal.

That was pretty good. He hits on the reasons I liked the movie and doesnt concern himself what I didnt like. And what I didnt care for was basically non essential and done for show, like the bomber run which was stupid but done for its WWII esthetics, a recurring theme in Star Wars, which I accepted for that in spite of it being ridiculous. So he is right to pass that stuff by, except to point out that it has always been a part of the series. The movie was about deconstructing the theme that has run through all of the Star Wars movies up to the new trilogy. Jedi good, Sith bad, which is simplistic theological bullshit. So they tear it down to great effect. And that is what is brilliant about The Last Jedi. It is absolutely a flawed movie but it is a movie with realistic purpose beyond a basic black vs white aesthetic. Now we only have to hope that Abrams knows what to do with what Johnson handed off to him.

Abrams was the perfect choice to start the trilogy. As for finishing it? That’s never been his strong suit.

That said I am probably more excited for Clone Wars season 7 and the Mandalorian anyhow. Really looking forward to those.

They’re taking forever to launch Disney+. I wish they’d launch it now so that I can finally watch Clone Wars and Rebels and Resistance, the three animated Star Wars shows. I can’t wait to see how they fill in the universe with more details.

I also find myself wanting to track down some of the older Star Wars games now. I wonder how I’ll feel about some of the games now that I’m a fan of the universe? For instance, Shadows of the Empire, in which you played Dash Rendar. I remember enjoying that on the N64 but I wasn’t really up on Star Wars lore at the time.

Shadows… is rough these days. Lived it back when, especially the sloop level, but early third person 3D games don’t hold up great.

The sewers, ugh.

But what does? Episode 1 Racer! Freaking fantastic still.

Showing my kids Star Wars for the first time. Wonder if it will make much of an impression?

Tonight it’s Empire!

Wait – how did they like the first one? How old are they?

Oh right - well short version, they both liked it. Not love, but they maintained interest, so I call that a win. My son is 7, my daughter is almost 5, so probably just the right age for this.

Plus we’re going to Disney next week and I wanted them to have a little context when we hit Galaxy’s Edge.

Tonight they got a little tired during Empire, we only watched half, probably the other half tomorrow. I don’t want to push it.