The Amazon Prime Video thread

Well, we gave The Fall a shot but couldn’t make it past the 1st episode. It’s so dark and creepy and as my wife put it “this is why I hate series, nothing has happened in the entire first episode!” So we’re moving on.

I’m going to admit this, but I discovered that IMDbTV (which is really Amazon) has the first season of Ally McBeal. I haven’t watched this show for almost 20 years (yikes), but it holds up fairly well, aside from those weird CGI moments. Huge shocker, but those do not hold up as well, technically or thematically. But the characters are fun and the writing is still sharp, and I’ve forgotten how much of a crush I had on Calista Flockhart.

Harrison Ford is turning 78 in July. Make your move!

Wow. There’s a name I hadn’t thought of in a while.

Very Harry Potter. Ravenclaw, probably.

Wow, is this the best picture they could find of Helen Hunt? She looks like a wight.

She’s great in Supergirl too. Chews up the scenery and looks fabulous doing it :-)

To be fair to her, after enough facelifts and tucks you get to the point where there’s barely enough skin to wrap around your skull. Seems like that’s where she is now!

She doesn’t look that bad in the movie. But she also doesn’t show much range of motion in her facial muscles.

I’m glad you mentioned Zero Zero Zero. I watched it on your recommendation and loved it. I also loved Gomorrah by the same writer.

So now I trust you. What should I watch next?

Glad you liked it, but dunno if I like this kind of pressure to deliver again. Think someone else should step up with a recommendation.

I was really hoping Season 2 of The Boys was coming in July. Guess not.

Season 2 of Hanna is coming. Hopefully The Boys are coming back in August, then I can watch them both that month.

I just started both Hanna and the Widow.

Do want!

Yeah, it’s not for everybody. The show is slow-moving most of the time, but keeps the tension up pretty damn high throughout, especially in the first and second series.

After series 2 ended, we looked at each other, wondering where they could possibly go from here. They could have very easily ended it after series 2, but they didn’t (I mean, a pretty decent ending was literally right there!). Mind you, we enjoyed all 3 series quite a bit, but the third one was the weakest by far, and partly because it was so unnecessary.

Regardless, all of the acting was first-rate, Gillian Anderson in particular giving what I feel is her best performance ever. Jamie Dornan as the killer was also a pleasure to watch. I could go on. Great cast.

I watched this tonight. It was fine, interesting from a historical perspective, but nothing special. Cast and performances seemed fine to my uncultured eye - Kristen Stewart is particularly easy on the eyes in this one. From what little I know of Seberg’s life, the plot seemed reasonable, though they definitely took some liberties with the order of events.

The subject matter is of especial interest given the focus these days on institutional racism, but it doesn’t really say anything outside of “those with power did bad things and it screwed up someone’s life”. True, of course, but we’re kinda overloaded with that message at the moment. Also, the focus is on the damage done to the white actress, not the black power movement. Not an approach likely to gain a lot of traction with the current set of activists.

Rather annoying hire few movies from the past 5 years or so pop up on Netflix and Amazon now. They seem to show up on regular TV first in many cases.

Someone took notice of the popularity of Netflix Party…

That said, you still need some voice chat solution like Skype, Discord or Google Meet to run alongside this because watching something together with your friends while only interacting via text chat is a bit lame.

This is Prime’s presentation of this.
https://help.twitch.tv/s/article/watch-parties

Yeah, it totally wouldn’t work if you can’t video chat. I think Scener is still probably a better option.