The Amazon Prime Video thread

The Netflix thread has worked out pretty well, for recommendations of shows that may not need their own thread. So I figured we could use one for Prime Video also.

I’ll start it off with Beartrek, which I just watched recently and enjoyed. It goes to four areas where different bear species live: brown, polar, spectacles, and sun bears. Some gorgeous wildlife video, as you’d expect, and also a lot of information about the bears’ interactions with their environments and the humans encroaching on them.

Why is there no show about yaks?

Oh please, you know better. This is the Internet!

Homecoming is very well done.

Homecoming is next on my list.

I wanted to like Forever starring Maya Rudolph and Fred Armisen. It had some funny moments and the plot kept me guessing early on. But midway through the season, it asked me to spend half an hour with completely different characters so I checked out. Anyone make it to the end?

I’ve recommended it before, but it’s still criminally under-watched, so I’ll plug it again: Comrade Detective.

Was talking about the F35 jets today and remembered this old movie. It is on Amazon prime and it is hilarious. It’s a satirical look at the weapon system design process where people keep adding features till nothing works.

Holy cow, there’s a video adaptation of Going Postal! I thought I’d seen all the Discworld shows, but somehow I’d missed this one.

I miss Sir Terry, but it’s awfully nice when you discover something like this. Makes a bit of the Discworld new again.

So there’s a new economic documentary on Amazon Prime called This Giant Beast That is the Global Economy. Kal Penn takes on a topic related to the global economy and goes around talking to various people about how that topic works. Watched the first episode on Money Laundering tonight, and it was pretty entertaining. I’m interested in economic topics anyway, so it’s hard for me to say whether anyone else would like it, but I thought it was well done.

I started watching this thinking it was actually what it purported to be, but was like, no way could this look this good of it was produced in 1983 Romania. Also, the ideological messages are too on the nose even for the Romanian government at the time.

EDIT: First episode was pretty good!

Yeah, I caught that one somehow/somewhere (maybe on public TV?) a couple of years ago. Great story and cast, including the super dreamy Claire Foy (be still my heart) as Adora Belle Dearheart.

Note to self, if you ever get Amazon Prime Video, check out the following shows:

ABC Murders - John Malcovich as Hercule Poirot
Avatar: The Last Airbender (old Nickelodeon show enjoyed by Qt3)
Carnival Row (new show by Deep Space Nine and 4400’s René Echevarria about Victorian era detectives)
One Mississippi (Tig Notaro show)
The Night Manager (Hugh Laurie show)
The Man in the High Castle
The Expanse
Jack Ryan
Patriot (What if 007 dealt with his PTSD by being a standup comic?)
Sneaky Pete (conman show enjoyed by Qt3)
A Very English Scandal (Hugh Grant show)
Justified (People tell me it’s good) (Amazon Exclusive, not Original, so it could leave)
Catastrophe (Knocked up the TV show?)
Fleabag (British show about a woman dealing with adversity in her life?)
The Tick
Comrade Detective (Romanian Cold War era Propaganda detective show comedy)
The Americans (Amazon Exclusive, not Original, so it could leave)
Forever (Fred Armisen, Maya Rudolph comedy about mid-life crisis?)
Preacher (Amazon Exclusive, not Original, so it could leave)
6 Feet Under? (Funeral home family?)
Hannibal? (Can it be as good as the movies?)
Goliath? (Billy Bob Thornton is a lawyer, something something)
Mad Dogs? (Series about friends gathering in Belize?)
Bosch (Not sure, about a private detective maybe?)

Movies:
Don’t Worry, He Won’t Get Far On Foot (Joaquin Phoenix)
Last Flag Flying (Steve Carell, Laurence Fishburne, Bryan Cranston)

Done:

Hannah - Based on the movie I loved - series turned out to be great
The Big Sick - was a decent movie
The Marvelous Ms Maisel - 1st 2 seasons were amazing
The Grand Tour - Just as fun the second time through the series
This Giant Beast That is the Global Economy - Fun series
The Boys (asshole superheroes) - Turned out really good

Heh, I thought you were referring to the movie of the same name and almost stopped reading. Good list!

Good point. I edited that entry to clarify.

Edit: Also added The Tick. Apparently that’s an Amazon show.

I’m not seeing Comrade Detective.

Never heard of it. I’ll gladly add it. From the title, is it about a detective during the Soviet era?

I don’t know when it happened but Amazon has put together a lot of attractive shows on their service. I didn’t even include The Grand Tour yet.

The conceit is that it’s a Romanian detective show from that era, made by the propaganda ministry. But it’s a deadpan comedy. It’s amazing.

I really liked Red Oaks, a coming of age series in the 80’s.
Also: American Gods
Bosch
Mozart in the Jungle
Goliath
Community College

At least these are available in The Netherlands, don’t know other regions.

Yep Bosch is great (season 5 soon!), as is Absentia which just started its 2nd season. Oh and also Goliath with Billy Bob Thornton.

Added Hannah to my list, since @Pyperkub reminded me that’s on Amazon, and I really want to see that, since I loved that movie.