The Amazon Prime Video thread

There’s a whole other season! I thought they ran out of leads pretty quick in the first few episodes. But, I was sucked in by the style and kept going.

Maybe I’ll try season 2. They mention Mothman in the summary.

Didn’t realize there was a second season, thanks. Finished up the first season last night, and it left me with mixed feelings. On the one hand, the production is excellent. Almost everything about it works for me. The investigators are all appealing and seemingly credible. The subject matter is something I care a lot about, having studied it for a few decades. On the other hand, the investigation itself is too rushed and breathless, and often feels more like fandom and cosplay than serious, academic, and methodical work, which makes taking these guys seriously a bit difficult. But my love of Keel and other figures and lore stuff that they continually bring up, combined with my appreciation for the overall production, seem to be winning, so I’ll probably stick with it and check out Season 2.

I am totally unfamiliar with this show and its source material, but yes, it’s got a great voice cast: Steven Yeun, Sandra Oh, J.K. Simmons, Chad Coleman, and Walton Goggins all seem to be main cast or recurring and Zazie Beetz, Clancy Brown, Mark Hamill, Mahershala Ali, Jon Hamm, and Djimon Hounsou (among many more) are ‘other characters.’ I’m really not that interested in another superhero show, but I might give it a shot just to hear all those interesting voices.

Ooh, I hadn’t noticed Goggins.

re: Invincible

I didn’t know there were only three episodes out so was slightly annoyed when I hit the end!

It’s basically the Amazon standard for their originals, 3 at launch then 1 a week after.

I love the Amazon X-ray feature. I mean, it could be better- it could let you click on the info to get more movies with the actors, for example. But I like being able to hit pause and see the name sof the folks in the current scene without having to pull out my phone and hunt it up. And it’s surprisingly in-depth, too. I just rented the old Steve Martin flick Dead Men Don’t Wear Plaid- it’s a neat send-up of/love-letter to the hardboiled noir detective movies, and there’s only like 4 real actors in the movie. The rest of the time, it’s clips from the aforementioned old noir movies, they just dressed Martin up in appropriate clothes and edited him in so it looked like he was interacting with those old characters. But on X-ray, it actually tells you the actor and movie it came from-Cagney, Bogart, Ava Gardner, etc. It’s neat.

What a brilliant film! I can only imagine the amount of work they did setting up all those scenes to match those old films.

I really need to see that one again soon!

I just finished, and it was dedicated to Edith Head, it was the last movie she worked on. So y’know, the costume side was taken care of, easily, heh.

Oh wow, I did not know that.

Neither did I, before I read that. IMDB confirms it.

I believe X-Ray pulls from IMDB, btw.

Which Amazon bought in 1998.

It’s great. Which makes it all the more frustrating those rare times it doesn’t work for one of the actors on screen whom you want to identify. And I do miss it on other streaming platforms.

Started Them, and then paused to read up on it after a crucial, disturbing scene in the first episode. Learned that there’s a much worse scene coming up, of the sort that I just don’t think I can handle, so I bailed.

Witness for the Prosecution is now free on Prime and I highly recommend it. A b&w 1957 film based on a Agatha Christie play directed by Billy Wilder and starring Charles Laughton, Tyrone Power and Marlene Dietrich. It’s a fantastic movie.

That does sound great. Love me some Billy Wilder! Thanks for the tip.

I watched Witness for the Prosecution decades ago and loved it. I might try a rewatch; it’s the type of thing that typically holds up pretty well.

I tripped over Low Winter Sun on Prime last night and started watching. It’s an AMC series from 2013 I’d never seen nor heard of. So far, it’s very good. The premise is that two police detectives murder a third, then have to investigate the murder with Internal Affairs breathing down their neck. It’s set in decaying Detroit, so it’s gritty and filled with misery. The writing is very good and the performances from Mark Strong and Lennie James are top-notch. Hope it holds up for the full season.

It’s a remake of, I think, a Scandinavian series. (Like AMC’s The Killing, so I guess it’s a trend.) I’ve seen neither myself.