The Amazon Prime Video thread

I dunno if it was in this thread, and my search fu sucks, so I’m posting here anyway.

I subscribe to Britbox as a channel on Prime Video. Someone recently posted about a British series called Inside No. 9. It’s like a lightweight Black Mirror - a bunch of 30 minute episodes that all have a twist. I’ve started watching them and they’re pretty good. So whoever mentioned them, thanks for the reccomendation!

The first seven or so seasons are available on Britbox. It’s also notable that they’re pretty much the only show on Britbox that isn’t a police procedural.

It was in the Black Mirror thread IIRC, and I’m glad you like it!

If you get to the end and want more of the same kind of style, the two main actors / writers also created an earlier comedy series (with overtones of horror) called The League of Gentlemen, also on Britbox I think.

Don’t know if this has been mentioned yet here, but the Tilda Swinton / Idris Elba -starring 3000 Years of Longing is currently included with Prime Video. Worth a watch. Directed by none other than George Miller (I assume it’s the George Miller).

EDIT: or should this have been posted in the Movies subforum?

It is the Mad Max/Babe/Happy Feet George Miller.

I was super skeptical of this based on the thumbnail, but once I got around to watching it, it’s great. I can’t really define why other than in a somewhat absurd premise, it came out as a strong drama with, obviously, two A+ actors holding it together.

It was my second favorite movie of last year, after Everything Everywhere. It’s fantastic and beautiful and weird.

Dedicated thread:

I thought it was great as well. I really loved some of the sub-stories within it and the production thereof. Like the guy playing the instrument that had hands that helped, etc. It was very well done.

By that guy, you mean Solomon who is now, apparently, a magician?

I agree, it was a very solid film. Really a series of short films loosely tied together, but held together by a clever meta textual narrative. It also helps many of those vignettes are quite a treat.

Solomon being a magician who trafficked with genies and other spirits is a longstanding occult lore thing.

Just in case someone scrolls through and didn’t see the movie I’d like to spoiler that scene, it was mesmerizing. Obviously spoilers if you watch it.

That instrument needs to be a DnD artifact.

The Queen of Sheba in that scene looked like a de-aged Angela Bassett (who is/was a remarkably handsome woman IMHO).

She kinda did … and I honestly am not even sure who that actress was?

Aamito Lagum, a Ugandan fashion model.

She’s was breathtaking.

Flick Connection highlights new movies on assorted streaming services. His latest video came out today::

A lot of good movies were just added, with a couple more coming in around the end of the month.

Battle Los Angeles is not a “shockingly good” movie.

Battleship was a shockingly good movie?

Seriously, Battleshit?

I highly recommend The Limey, although Terrence Stamp’s Cockney (I think) gangster accent is so thick you may need subtitles to understand it, and the Pulp Ficition-esque non-linear storytelling can be a bit disorienting to follow.

Amazon always has a lot of great movies hiding in their impenetrable search engine. Finding them is the trick.

Lot of good movies in that list, though, it’s true.