The Anacrusis - L4D follow-up by Chet

I was gonna buy this on good faith and as a L4D style gameplay fan. Coming to Gamepass is even better!

I dig the '70s in space vibe but yeah, those things look like ass.

RPS has a preview/talk here

And they are positive, but I have to say they failed as writers because I’m left wondering why it was positive, saying they were impressed. They say

-it’s more ‘roguelike’ but it isn’t clear what they refer to. I think they mean the objective is random for each level?
-they talk of the director throwing different waves of enemies at the players, but at this point this is a basic feature of the genre, and less a point of praise
-they describe the scout grenade from DRG as one of the weapons
-they liked how there was an objective that wasn’t killing all the enemies… but I think that’s the case of all the games in the genre?
-This part sounds more roguelike: “The same goes for the special Perk-atron station, too. Officially known as Matter Compilers, these appear randomly in each level and each player has a random trio of abilities to choose from each time. As long as you don’t die, you can stack them in interesting ways between levels.”

Then again, there are already roguelikes with 4 player coop (RoR2, Gunfire Reborn, Roboquest)

Which mechanically sounds similar to something Vermintide 2 did with their rogue-lite inspired Chaos Wastes game mode. So, again, something that a prominent game in the genre has already attempted. The most major difference being that in VT2 you spend earned currency to access abilities (boons & miracles) rather than getting a random trio of ability to choose from.

I mean, it sounds like a potentially compentent L4D clone, I’m not saying it will be bad. But if your title is ’ The Anacrusis is so much more than a sci-fi Left 4 Dead-like’ I’m expecting more evidence of it.

This is probably closer to where I’d bet I land on this one.

Man, that animation looks bad.

Funny you should say that, Chetty the ex Valve developer perma banned me in the steam forum for saying something no more innocuous than the enemies are so bad a modder will need to fix them after release.

Something btw more than a few people were pointing out besides me.

Guess he woke up on the wrong side of the planet in Seattle while we got snowed in and decided to take it out on little ole me.

Not crazy to strictly control their own forums, if you want to shit on the game do it somewhere the developers can’t moderate.

I didn’t mention it for the purposes of begrudging him that prerogative. I mentioned it to show he’s clearly quite sensitive about it and strangely unfamiliar with how steam forums actually work for someone who worked at Valve.

easytarget

Forum name checks out. ;)

I expect nothing from games journalism and I’m still usually disappointed.

Also I don’t think that I’d call the statement “the enemies are so bad they’ll have to be fixed by modders” innocuous.

So it seems Gamepass is the way.

How is he unfamiliar with how the forums work? He figured out how to ban people, anyway.

Oh jeez, I didn’t expect a 5.

A 5 from IGN is disastrous. Not good news.

Doubtful.

IGN reviews have been irrelevant since at least God Hand.

I see WESTERN is winning in that IGN co-op shooter poll.

An IGN 7 could well be my GOTY. That’s on their scale.

An IGN 5, on the other hand… bodes not well.