The Anti-Bargain Thread

The three Earthworm Jim games made their debut on Steam today.

For $19.99.

EACH

Actually, when you click the individual game, it says they are all part of the Earthworm Jim pack for $20. It looks like they are $20 each though.

While the opening example might not be quite as awesome as indicated I still heartily approve of the thread concept. I just need to remember it next time I see one.

Haha, Gendal, that’s exactly what I thought. It makes me want to go find examples and then nonchalantly post them like I had only just stumbled across them.

Opening week for Borderlands saw it priced for $40CDN at Bestbuy/Future Shop while Gamestop/EB had it for $60 or $70 for the unfortunates who pre-ordered it.

Go ahead and put every Blizzard game ever made (although if you’re an addict I guess you can find some “value” there for your crack problem) as well as Call of Duty 4.

I, um, blogged about stuff this like six months ago.

I nominate those publishers who try and charge me 50% extra than other people for the same digital stuff from the same server, because I live in Australia :-)

You Australians are not alone. Regional pricing is a very annoying “feature” for Europe too.

This game is easy.

On Steam, Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare has a banner announcing a new low price of $39.99.

Below it is the price in €: 49.99. Or about $75.

But they also have Mass Effect for €7.49 - I’m really tempted to buy that.

I told a colleague today that Blizzard was now doing its games via digital distribution and he should be able to grab WCIII for like $5 right now.

He looked it up, and it’s $20. Frozen Throne is also $20. If you want the digitally distributed Battlechest, it’s $40. I presume you get a pdf of the strategy guide or something.

It’s only 7 years old.

You can purchase Age of Empires III: Gold for $33, which includes its first expansion, War Chiefs.

And if you act now you can buy the second expansion, Asian Dynasties, for only $28!

That’s list price, so not surprising (that it’s the same, not that it’s still 40 bucks). Heck, the Diablo Battle Chest is still $40 and the newest release in that is over 8 years old; Diablo turns 13 in a few weeks.

That said, I have seen sales on both Chests, though not recently.

Hooray.

Dave can boast about his awesome Target clearance aisle in the bargain thread and I can bitch about mine in here.

On clearance today? Ghostbusters for the PS3, $42.40.

Was that a doorbuster price?

Empire at War Digital VS Empire at War Hardcopy

Ghostbusters (360) on clearance at Target for $41.98, while Walmart and Amazon are selling it at its new low price of $40.

Modern Warfare 2 PC for $60. Seriously what are they thinking?

Two things:

1. I’ve seen this on sale for $20 before.
  2. From a value standpoint - good gaming hours per dollar - how would you rate your purchase of Diablo?

I know that for my $50, my wife and I probably got 200 GOOD gaming hours in. I’ll take that every single time. :)