The Arma 3 hype thread

This worries me a bit. The greatest fun I’ve had is having a 500 vs. 500 battles with both sides converging on a single point. If they take that away, pare it down, or don’t optimize for mass assaults I’ll be very disappointed. We already have smaller scale warfare in other games.

I hope they continue to optimize (or better utilize multiple cpu cores) so we can keep upping the AI numbers.

Wait, what?

Where have you played a 500 vs 500 mission?? Not in any campaign made by Bohemia, but done in a user made mission or in the editor.
You sill have user made content and the editor, so you will have your 1000 mens action.

Scenarios made by me :)
My concern was if the new system vastly increased demand on cpu power (per soldier or per small group) that it would make large scale combat untenable.

Well, i am not seeing any incredible images that means vastly increased requisites. It looks a bit better, but Arma 2 looked a lot better than Arma 1, and Arma 1 looked a lot better than Ofp. In fact this the graphic jump is the smallest from all their games, i think.

From a shacker:

Arma III at e3!

Seriously, I can’t believe no one is posting about this but perhaps it’s because of the tiny Bohemia Interactive booth?

Anyway, I managed to get a personal tour of the current Arma III build so figured I’d share as I know you guys are Arma fans. I had the chance to see ground, air (Commanche) surface water vehicles and underwater swimming including swimming up to a submerged submarine which looked great.

Everything looked really good, much better than Arma II and with a higher framerate to boot. I asked about the rig they were running and they said 6GB of RAM and a high end Nvidia card. That’s the best I could get.

Gun audio was great, didn’t hear any VO so can’t say if, “Enemy, man” is still in or not. They did say that the focus on this release is on making everything fun and they showed us a map with potential missions that ran the gamut from assaulting a fortress to infiltrating a village for intel or diving a sunken wreck for leisure. (seriously) Also showed us mockups of the soldier customization which sounded like you’d be able to choose light-heavy classes with the associated armor or lack thereof in exchange for enhanced movement. They repeated the desire to make things fun several times which I was glad to hear as frankly that would be my largest criticism of the series so far.

They also took up the Commanche and increased the draw distance to 6000 and everything looked and more importantly ran very very well. It certainly gave me some serious hope for Arma III as I thought Arma II had serious potential but came with some huge flaws as well. Said to expect the game summer of 2012.

http://e3.gamespot.com/live-cam-tour/live-cam-day-2/

2:40 mark

Very brief demo, but it was nice to actually see it moving

I get very nervous about the performance of a new ARMA engine when the current one needs a high end rig to run well, even now.

You look at Just Cause 2 running on a 360 and then you look at ARMA 2 running on a quad core 3.4 with a 6950, and it just makes you shake your head. Hopefully they get some decent engine programmers this time around.

I know. In the show it looked smooth but… who knows what machine they were using.

Found this longer vid from E3

more details

http: // forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=120428

Better quality videos

Graphics look great, but I’m curious about the fact that they’re going for a more futuristic look to the soldiers and equipment.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but at 2:49 in the first video, did the guy playing the game not have to lead his target? That’s right after he kills 4 enemies with a grenade. Maybe the enemy wasn’t quite moving yet.

That does seem to still have the slightly weird physics of the earlier games. There’s the ‘vehicles have real weight’ section, where the vehicles are clearly made of bouncy fibreglass. And the infantry section still seems to have that slightly ungainly movement that no other first person game has, as if your body is actually quite a heavy vehicle.

I haven’t watched the final video yet. Have we seen the UI at all?

-Yes, it’s in the “near future”. Even with cancelled vehicles like the Comanche.

-At 2:49, at that distance, you shouldn’t have to lead the target. Also the target wasn’t moving fully in perpendicular, but in diagonal.

-Physics are totally changed, they are using PhysX now. Still, they may need more tweaking, of course.

-Animation system and ui are from Arma 2… for now, they are placeholders for the E3 build, they will improve/replace them.

This game is not going to be out anytime soon. One of the people from the stand said they have two years of development to improve.

Less vehicles? Boo! Better physics and animation? Yay!

The person you are playing as was born in 92. So I suppose the game takes place around 2025 or so.

As a total Arma noob, I have to say this looks pretty cool. The single player sounds like it could be really interesting. Looking forward to hearing more.

Yea I’m concerned with them showing no leading, and not much (or any) bullet drop. They’ve mentioned making it more fun several times, I just hope that doens’t mean dialing down realism to accomplish that.

Uh… it would have been unrealistic to have bullet drop at that distance. Do i have to remind people the distance to which an assault rifle is “zeroed”? It’s 200-300 mts.