The Arma 3 hype thread

Arma 1 is a game. Arma 2 is another one.

Of course they can’t play together. Half Life 1 player can’t play with HL2 players. Starcraft 1 players can’t play with Starcraft 2 players. Quake 2 players can’t play with Quake 3 players. Civilization 4 players can’t play with Civilization 5 players. Etc etc

Arma: Queens Gambit was a traditional expansion for Arma 1, you could only play it (and it was mainly single player) if you had Arma 1.

Arma 2 BAF and Arma 2 PMC are DLC for Arma 2:OA. You need Arma 2: OA to play them, even just to install them. Servers that use content from the DLC are open to people without the DLC, as to not fragment the community a lot.

Wow, that’s basically just an ignorant slander. Bohemia has gone way out of their way to prevent the Arma2 community from fracturing. You have two main parts, the original Arma2 and Operation Arrowhead. If you have either of those in common with someone else, you can play together.

On top of that, you can even play on servers with the two DLC packs even if you don’t own them, you just get ultra-low res models and textures, but it’s still playable.

Yea, the (lite) version of the two stand-alones is really nice as it lets you use the assets in a multiplayer game, but people without them can still join the server and play.

see http: // Arma 2 Package Combinations - Bohemia Interactive Community
read and learn

What is that giant white blob on the Eastern side? Is it a limestone quarry? If so, I can imagine some cool scenarios we could build around/in it. If it’s flat instead of scalloped it would be a nice section to build our own city for custom scenarios as well.

It’s a salt marsh, Lake Aliki. Flat as a pancake.

So you slam ArmA II here and then accuse Dwarden of being a viral marketer. Class act Wallington.

First of all, I didn’t “slam” Arma 2. I love the Arma / Op Flashpoint games, but they are clearly flawed gems. Everyone knows this and accepts it.

But Heaven forbid someone has a critical thought about a game and suggests ways to improve it. It’s awesome a developer wants to post ads here, but that doesn’t make his next game better. I want to be excited by Arma 3 but I want to see some gameplay footage before I start getting excited.

Do you people not play other videogames? Do you not realize how behind the times the game (graphics and physics) engine of the Arma series is? It’s a great concept and has been super fun (in fact I think I’m going to take a break from LA Noire today and play some Domination). But clearly when a tank explodes and it looks like a cardboard box, or when the indoor/urban combat AI is so poor (I don’t think I’ve ever seen an enemy go inside a building to search or take cover behind a wall). Compare a typical gunfight in Arma 2 to say, Far Cry 2, or Battlefield:BC2. I’m not saying that the AI has to be that good, but what happens when you take a shot at someone in Arma ? They just go prone and start rotating toward you. It looks like what it is, a military sim being marketed towards civilians. Which is fine, but it kist lacks the polish of a $50 game. It’s a $20 bargain bin game to most people.

What we need is some kick ass gameplay footage.

Keep in mind guys, I want this series and BI to make mullions off this series. I want them to make so much money they all buy solid gold houses and rocket cars. I just want the end result to not be a frustrating mess. I was just trying to suggest some improvements.

But I’ll just shut up and wait for reviews and bargain bins, I guess.

As for calling the developer a VM, give me a break. He WAS trying to VM, you idiots. If that’s allowed, cool! Welcome! Not my forum, or my right to point it out, guess. I didn’t know VM was allowed here. Sorry! Carry on! Are we allowed to ask him questions? I guess I don’t know all the forum rules quite yet.

Wow, 2 pages only and there is already people fighting? Calm down people and stay on topic (arma 3 news).

edit: wasn’t referring only to you, Wallington, more in general.

I didn’t mean derail your thread, btw. Just a fan of the series chiming in. I’ve already rewarded BI with over $100 in sales, so I’ll remain optimistic and be ready to gladly eat my skepticism when gameplay footage comes out soon.

Awesome!

Well, the E3 trailer was a total letdown. You will know why when you watch it.

WTF? Why did they even bother with that trailer?

Well, i suppose it’s more a teaser than a real trailer.

We have new screenshots, at least.

This image makes me think about Bohemia following their shooter/rpg/adventure thing in the campaign:

Let’s hope this time they nail it.

Plunder?? What am I a mercenary now?

A pirate perhaps? :D

I think there are stuff in the water (look closely), maybe from a sunk supply ship, so it’s about recovering supplies. I think the general idea is you (a marine from special navy operations) being stranded behind enemy lines and then joining in a guerrilla warfare (think Ofp Resistance, if you played it, or the two or three missions from Ofp Cold War Crysis where you join the guerrilla), so recovering supplies it’s an option that makes sense. So that explains also the “hideout” point, the ambush point, the “avoid detection” from civilians, etc.

There are some fan missions from Ofp/Arma/Arma 2 that played a bit like that, open missions with several clues in the briefing (go to town A to recover information about patrols, attack supply base B to gain new weapons, etc), and total freedom for choosing the order of your actions.

That image of the truck driving through crates needs that goofball from Half-Life 2 looking out the window like a Garry’s Mod still picture.

Wait, has this ever been their stated goal? Even with the open-ended missions, they’ve always been discrete levels in a campaign. It seems like moving toward a directed open world (like STALKER for example) would be a big change in style.

Well, it’s my own fan theory, only. My reasoning

First, it’s possible to do, some fans missions have done it.
Second, Arma 2 already went a bit in that direction, the middle missions of the campaign were more or less like that. The last missions were also open with some options but it was too “contaminated” with Warfare.
Third, this is from their site:

After years of intense warfare against Eastern armies, Europe has become the last stand for the battered NATO forces. On the verge of being driven into the sea, NATO command embarks upon a most desperate measure. In the hope of seizing what seems to be a well-guarded military secret, Operation Magnitude is launched.

A small group of Special Forces and Researchers are sent to a Mediterranean island deep behind enemy lines. However, the mission is compromised and the task force destroyed, leaving Cpt. Scott Miller washed ashore upon the hostile island. In his effort to carry out the mission, he will face the dangers of modern warfare, an unforgiving environment, and the consequences of his own decisions…

So it seems after the first two missions (that surely it will serve as introduction), the proper game will begin with you alone in the hostile island. What are you going to do alone against the enemy army? I think they are going to go with the guerrilla route, joining and leading the typical rebels. Think JA2 structure in fps, perhaps?

Bohemia have already shown interest in this type of structure, Arma 2 was actually to be even more open at first but they had to scale back a bit. I think the original idea was to have a dynamic war, that’s why they developed the ambient combat module (random fighting) and the sec ops module (random tasks given to you).