The astonishing cluelessness of The Crew 2

Changing the setting and “shuffling the cars” (?) doesn’t seem like a really inspiring sequel. One of the most tedious parts of the original Crew – which is rightly called out as tedious in this sequel, although it apparently escaped judgment previously because the rest of the game was good – is the inane, obscure car leveling. It was both overdone and opaque. Would have been nice for them to improve on that, since there’s only so many arbitrary car stats I can upgrade without losing the illusion of working with a car and not a Diablo character.

Improvements there would make the series a better rival to the Forza games. A new setting with “shuffled” cars would be an expansion pack.

Plenty of people hated the line. I can’t think of any other game that made the GPS float overhead like that. The mystery is why they didn’t just offer the option to put the line of the ground.

I liked the line in the air, as I never lost sight of it in hilly terrain and around a series of sharp bends, a problem that I always have when it’s on the ground.

Stop pretending you don’t know that was Furious 7. Remember that part where Tyrese was like how come I never get to make the plans and they were like ok what’s your plan and then he was all we drop out of planes and then they god damn did it and it was awesome. That’s wasn’t really a question because I know you remember it.

The Crew 2 is pretty bad, though. I was sold on it being a modern Diddiy Kong Racing but the Crew 2 has none of the style of DKR. It’s actually painful watching this game try to shove it’s cool guy racing thing down your throat. Super pass.

When’s Forza Horizon out?

To be fair, I couldn’t recall whether it was 7 or Fate.

I had to go to a karaoke birthday party a few weeks ago and someone picked that song from the end of 8 where Paul drives off into the sunset to death by fatherhood. I spent the duration of the song telling people F&F stories because it was the least I could do after having to put up with two hours of karaoke.

That was 7.

I blame my phone.

I am pretty sure there’s car-plus-airplane shenanigans in Fate also.

I wonder how many followers Tyrese earned when he drove his car out of the airplane. /TheCrew2

-Tom

I think Blur started this ingame follower nonsense.

Was the calling all units expansion any good or is wild run alone enough? (they seem to have bundled them now)

Calling All Units is definitely good. The cop/robber chases are a great way to tear up the streets and get good loot!

-Tom

Thanks, I am going to give it a shot based on that. I was replaying the crew and they introduce Calling all Units in such a tacky way – First they drape the menus with Calling all Units logos, so I think I bought it already. Then wham, it’s basically a forced police pursuit out of nowhere, complete w/ EMP blasts ripped from that Need for Speed Hot Pursuit: remake-except-worse game, and you can’t even abort the mission. Once you beat it, they hit you with a prompt to buy it. If you had said it was bad on top of all that, I’d be even more angry!

So, you know how people on review sites complain that would have given zero stars for something if they could have, but were forced to give one star?

Tom, this is your own site. Do what all of us have dreamed of and give it zero!

Also, I am very sorry that this was a disappointment. I know you had high hopes after your love-fest with The Crew.

From what I’ve seen of the game I absolutely agree with Tom’s review. There was a list of things they needed to do to make the sequel better and they didn’t hit a single one of them. Whoever was project lead was asleep at the wheel.

Hah, nice one.

Yah, they really drove this franchise into the ditch.

The Metacritic score is a 63 so it’s a very solid D-minus.

All this talk about the terribleness of The Crew 2 (The Cr2w?) made me reinstall The Crew 1, so there’s some positivity for ya.

All good except you can’t restart the game, you just have to continue to drive around and redo stuff your already done.