The Avengers: Infinity War Spoiler Thread

I was really stunned at how many people in the theater were visibly and loudly upset at that ending. The only comparable audience reaction I’ve seen like that was the end to The Fellowship of the Ring.

In both cases, it seems a large part of the audience didn’t realize it was the first part of a saga.

To me what matters isn’t who died, who might come back, whether the emotional stakes might be undone, or whatever.

What matters to me is that the characters who are left don’t know any of that. To all of them - especially Tony, for whom this outcome was his worst nightmare ever since The Avengers and his visions induced by Wanda in Age of Ultron - they have no idea that anyone might come back, so the impact this will all have on them will be extremely significant.

I really liked the movie. Though I just watched Thor Ragnarok for my first time last night and it’s hard for anything else to live up to that.

I’m also really interested to see how this impacts the television shows. Agents of Shield at a very minimum ought to be in full crisis mode.

That’s a really good way to look at it.

This week’s episode of S.H.I.E.L.D. barely acknowledged it with a throwaway line about aliens attacking New York but neither character really paying attention to what was going on.

That makes sense for this week, because there’s no way they’d talk about the ending of the movie in an episode that airs the night the film is released.

But they’ve really got to acknowledge that half of the world’s population just disintegrated soon if they want the show to maintain even a shred of continuity. I honestly won’t be surprised if they don’t though, S.H.I.E.L.D. has fucked up so much potential already.

On the Netflix side, we’ve probably got Luke Cage season 2 and Daredevil season 3 before Avengers 4 comes out. Those I actually suspect might just open with a note that the events happen prior to Infinity War. I wouldn’t have any trouble with the characters not being involved in the events of the movies—it’s not like Cage and DD would be wondering why they weren’t called to Wakanda for the big fight—but it’s going to feel a little too convenient if they’re set in the aftermath of IW and somehow both shows avoid losing any characters to Thanos’ actions.

I agree, but can you imagine trying to coordinate all this? Even the movie’s actors weren’t allowed to see the whole script, so it’s not like they’re going to let the actors in the TV shows know what happens at the end of Infinity War.

I don’t watch Agents of SHIELD - is it meant to be contemporary with the movies, or could they get away with saying that it’s all happening before the finger snap?

For Luke Cage and Daredevil I would imagine you’re right that that’s what they’ll do.

S.H.I.E.L.D. is meant to be contemporary with the movies, yeah. I forget the exact exchange in Friday night’s episode, but it’s something like:

“and have you seen what’s going on in New York?”
“Yeah, aliens, what’s going on?”
“I don’t know, I don’t even have time to follow the news”

That’s okay for that episode, but it definitely puts the show taking place at the same time New York is being attacked. I’m guessing that Infinity War unfolds over 48 hours at the most, so S.H.I.E.L.D. should definitely be acknowledging the fallout in the next episode, or maybe the week afterward at the latest.

Interesting. I’d be shocked if they managed to make it work given production times. Sounds like we’re headed for a split in continuity.

The original Avengers is on TV and I never realized they had two Infinity Stones in the same place at the same time - the Mind Stone in Loki’s scepter and the one in the tesseract. Did Thanos know and assumed Loki would bring them to him?

I never read the comics.

Thanos gave Loki the scepter, which he must have come to regret. Seems likely Loki didn’t realize there was an infinity stone in the scepter, and maybe not even the tesseract at that point, but it’s hard to say. But Thanos surely knew they were both stones.

I went back to the post in the non-spoiler thread where DrCrypt posted some leaks from back in November.

It was obviously based on insider knowledge, but fascinating now to look back at what was right and what was changed from whenever the leak had the info. There’s some stuff that was correct and obviously couldn’t have just been guessed. There’s some stuff that looks like it may have just been cut for time. And there’s some stuff that’s definitely different in the final film.

Im not so sure that Agents of Shield is in the exact same time frame as A4. They have done a bit of time slipping themselves so frankly I dont know exactly when the current episodes of AOS are, in terms of the marvel universe.

I had a blast and was just exhausted. Kudos to them keeping things as quiet as they did. Interesting that in the trailers there was a shot where they cg removed Thor’s head and it was only his cape and arms and now I see why. Same with Star Lord falling through the portal removing the bird, but why is Hulk in all the Wakanda shots if he’s not in the movie and where the hell is Hawkeye? Damn man is Renner a jerk or something they keep giving him the shaft in these films? Also I was hoping we might get a little more Nick Fury.

That said, I love getting rid of everyone makes the next film about the original avenger team, though there is at least one scene where everyone is fighting together.
I’m guessing we’re multiversing to fix the universe, but man whole year before it comes out. Jeez

iirc, he broke both his arms doing a stunt on another film, so they couldn’t use him.

In the movie War Machine causally mentioned something about house arrest.

I know same with Ant Man. I’m guessing he’ll be Ronin in the next film with his family killed by Thanos fingers or something, but still it just seemed off not having him.

Just love the Guardian characters and having them interact with the other Avengers was just freaking awesome:

How cool was:

• Thor, Rocket and Groot teaming up.
  • Rocket giving Thor a new eye. Gives SO much weight to one of the GOTG Rocket “jokes”.
  • Groot making the handle of Thor’s new hammer out of himself.
  • Rocket asking Bucky to buy his arm, and then muttering about stealing it.
  • Starlord insulting Thanos GCI

Edit: of course Groot as a rebellious tean. Hi initial pissy “I am Groot” had us in stitches.

List goes on. Thought they pulled this one off so well, by keeping everyone in character.

That was so nasty, the bit about Rocket telling Thor that he should have washed it first given the way Rocket smuggled the eye out.

I guess I’m an outlier but I truly hated the ending, with a great and mighty hate so potent it threatens to suck me to the Dark Side.

Also, I had forgotten (or never read) the 90s original comic so I didn’t know the undo/redo set-up cheeseball ending was coming. If I had known that, I actually would not have paid to see the movie, instead waiting to stream it when the re-do was finished in the 2nd movie. So I’m sitting here today feeling like Marvel stole my $18 that I paid to see it in IMAX.

There’s a lot of joy in this thread but I feel nothing but rage and hate. The Dark Side beckons.

I’m hyped for the sequel, but I kinda love the idea of watching the movie as a stand-alone Thanos story.

I was thinking about the Nick Fury button at the end.

Since the Captain Marvel movie next year is a period piece… What if Fury’s galactic Captain Marvel device was actually a temporal pager sending her an alert back in the 90’s?! Then she has 20 years to plan retcons of all the Marvel movies to get the stones…