The Battle Royale between Battlegrounds and Fortnite has started

While Fortnite Battle Royale is going free-to-play, Bluehole is pondering their relationship with Epic’s Unreal Engine 4.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://www.quartertothree.com/fp/2017/09/22/battle-royale-battlegrounds-fortnite-started/

Yeah, I kind of think Epic made a mistake. They are the company that sells the game engine that they’re using to make a game, then they COPY that game. I would probably not think much of it, but what they’re saying is right - Epic is using PUBG in their MARKETING

It’s… baffling to me.

Yeah, I honestly didn’t even think about it until I saw Bluehole’s objection.

Epic does name-drop PUBG in their announcement.

“We love Battle Royale games like PUBG and thought Fortnite would make a great foundation for our own version.”

Right, it seems like they would know better. You can’t sell a product and then copy what it is used to create. If this was anybody else, making their own engine, wouldn’t be even remotely the same trouble.

I guess it could be worse. Denis Dyack and Too Human could be involved somehow.

I think this is a complete non-issue. The odds of fortnite affecting the unstoppable juggernaut that is pubg are literally nil. It is a question of whether pubg wants to flex its muscles when being “disrespected”, gangsta style.

yeah, I’m not saying it’s going to hurt PUBG, but it’s just kind of a bonehead thing for Epic to do

You just summed up pretty much every executive-level decision Epic’s made in regards to Fortnite.

Bluehole and Epic sound like they’re in a tense standoff.

Meanwhile, Bohemia Interactive is driving by honking a car horn.

It really is about respect-- don’t copy my work and then use my name in your actual marketing. That just isn’t cool.

This exactly. In addition to being boneheaded and disrespectful, it’s also shooting yourself in the foot (if you’re Epic) as now developers that were considering using your engine will see this and possibly decide to go a different direction to avoid a similar issue.

Pretty much everything about Fortnite has turned to shit thus far. (Fortshite?) Such a promising start, and every decision since has been the wrong one.

PUBG is a clone of a clone of a clone. It’s a very good one, but they didn’t invent the genre. Bluehole also made Devilian which is a pretty naked Diablo clone, making their objections a bit rich.

One man standing rules were common, but I haven’t seen the battle royale mechanic of shrinking the playable zone over time before. Did anyone do it before that guy’s ARMA mod?

It kinda doesn’t matter than Player Unknown originated it when he’s basically sold the idea to multiple companies at this point. How can Bluepoint claim to own the mechanic when he made a game with Daybreak that used it first?

He never said he owns the mechanic, he’s just pissed that Epic literally used his game in an advertisement for their clone.

Epic are idiots because mentioning your competition just reminds or advertises to your customers said competition.

Well yeah, except Epic’s clone is completely free while PUBG costs money, and Epic’s version is supposedly really great too.

Because Daybreak actually licensed the concept from him?

There’s obviously more to this as well.

1. Bluehole have paid ton of money in royalties to Epic, and also shares tech (e.g. prior to PUBG there was no UE game supporting 100 players). This is basically Epic saying Fuck You to a business partner they’ve profited off handsomely.

2. Tencent, a large shareholder in Epic, recently failed in a buyout of Bluehole. This may explain the Fuck You.

My take is that Bluehole hasn’t handled the PR here well, but let’s not pretend Epic is acting Just Fine here.

Well, yeah. That’s the question I’m asking. Can PU demonstrate sole ownership of the concept? What was the nature of his business relationship with Daybreak, Bluepoint and anyone else he may have worked with/for? Is there anyone who collaborated with him during his modding days that may step forward with their own claim?

Is anyone questioning the legality of it? It’s more of a stupid business relations move, not anything illegal.