The Best 1990's guitar rock album no one ever heard getting re-released

I have held off on posting about this record for a while–mostly because it has a kickstarter campaign being run by the artist themselves to get what, push to shove, is my favorite album of the 1990’s re-released in deluxe fashion. I know I’m enough of a fan that I have no objectivity here, so I didn’t want to come off as a being a shill passing a hat. Thankfully, this particular Kickstarter project eclipsed its goal within two weeks. Instead, I’ll post so folks are aware of the existence of a magical, wonderful, unknown record from 1997 that should be in any music collection that also has Guided By Voices, The Beatles, REM, The Kinks, Oasis, Spoon, The Grifters, Blur, etc. etc.

Kontiki, the 1997 record from Austin band Cotton Mather can sit next to anything by any of those other artists and stand just as tall.

Cotton Mather were a 3 (and sometimes 4) piece band from Austin who kind of got lost in the shuffle in the early 1990’s. Fronted by a fellow named Robert Harrison, their first album (Cotton Is King) is a bit overly-slick, bears a definite Squeeze influence, and was somewhat out-of-step with the louder, rawer sounds of 1993-95. Harrison thought so too; he talks of that first record as having been something of a mistake, describing touring on it to be a “chore” due to the fact that he really fell out with most of his own songs on the record. Harrison had started hearing Pavement and Guided By Voices by that time, and was enthralled.

What you should know here about Robert Harrison is that despite his Texas upbringing, his voice sounds like a ringer for John Lennon. What also seems important is that his main creative counterpart in Cotton Mather, bassist Whit Williams, can do a pretty solid Macca impersonation–at least on backing vocals. What you should also know is that Harrison and Williams had a way with a melodic hook that was simply undeniable. Those are some pretty awesome building blocks but on their first record, which was clearly a stab at attracting a big label and appealing to a mainstream, it just didn’t click.

Cotton Mather re-tooled. Harrison came up with crates and crates of demo material for dozens of songs. He and Williams pared everything down to the 14 songs that would end up on Kontiki…but at that point there was no money for recording anything properly. With drummer Dana Mizer, Harrsion and Williams ended up recording most of Kontiki in the garage of Harrison’s house in a residential neighborhood in Austin…on cassette tape (yep) and 4-track ADAT (Yikes!). If you’re unfamiliar with recording gear, in the age of Pro-Tools and digital studios, this was the equivalent of recording into a can with some string and having Thomas Edison grinding out a wax cylinder with the final results. Somehow, through diligence and not a little bit of trial-and-error, Cotton Mather ended up with some decent base tracks.

The next part of the story of this album is a guy in Nashville named Brad Jones. Jones is one HELL of a great producer who happens to do more rock and guitar pop stuff in a country music city than is healthy, but his credits include Josh Rouse, Rad Foster & Bill Lloyd, Jill Sobule, Matthew Sweet, as well as being a go-to session guy on bass especially for Elvis Costello and Steve Earle. Jones had let it be known that he was intrigued with Mather’s first album, and so the band shipped off their garage-recorded junkshop songs to him. Jones did some kind of miracle of production, somehow making the mix work, adding a few instruments at Harrison and Williams’ bidding, and then skull sessioning with the guys to leave in all sorts of found sounds present in the original tapes to make this a fascinating-sounding record (you’ll hear click tracks, chairs squeak, conversations, scrapped song snippets splattered all over Kontiki).

The album finished, the band put it out on tiny a tiny Austin label called Copper Records. Copper printed as many copies as they and the band could afford. They went out to a few distributors. They sent as many as they could to radio and retail in college towns.

Nothing happened.

I happened to be on a listserv at the time where a few critics who’d gotten copies couldn’t stop raving about Kontiki. I was working at a record store at the time, so we brought in two copies, one of which I bought, the other of which I sold in twenty minutes to a co-worker before we ever opened the store, based on me playing my copy. For the next three months we sold every copy of Kontiki we could get. As soon as we’d get one (the distributor had trouble getting any in, due to a very limited CD pressing), we’d play my copy in-store, and sell our retail copies within minutes. Never ever have I seen anything like it. We used to call it the “Who hell is this???” record, because that question would happen within about two songs of playing Kontiki at the store. Sadly, though, that was that in the States for Kontiki.

Over in the UK, things went differently. At a party, Noel Gallagher of Oasis happened to hear Kontiki and fell head over heels for it. He started talking it up as the best record of the year to the British music press, as well as on TV and radio. Kontiki got picked up for UK release by then-fledgling indie label Rainbow Quartz and sold a bunch of copies in England, where Cotton Mather toured to great success and where their song “My Before And After” got them glowing, almost slobbering praise from not only NME and MOJO, but also from The Guardian and the Times. The Brits were unafraid to call Kontiki what it was: the best Beatles album the Fab Four never made. Sound absurd? Probably is. But I can defend that position. Imagine you had a time machine, and could take the full-of-energy 1967 Beatles through the next three decades of rock and pop music, absorbing everything–punk, postpunk, prog-rock, grunge, new wave, and even lo-fi indie rock. Now imagine that you plunk them down and see what sort of album they’d make having taken in those influences. I would maintain (and am willing to take the heat on this) that if those things were possible, Kontiki would be the record The Beatles would indeed have made.

It is incredibly accessible, but incredibly dense and layered. Kontiki is noisy and shambolic. It is challenging in ways that pop music too frequently is not. It wanders off the reservation time and again. It takes risks with style and structure and breaks rules in a bravado display of craftsman-like chutzpah. It is more than just interesting sounds, too; Harrison and Williams know their way around a lyric: “Is this some sort of reverie for the one woman Jan and Dean heading for the crash?” is typical of the elliptical, witty, and sometimes chill-inducing words that Cotton Mather sings on their wonderful songs here. (The only chance that I’m guessing anyone has heard a song from Kontiki is that the TV show Veronica Mars used the aptly-titled and gorgeous “Lily Dreams On” in the season 1 finale.)

Kontiki did well in the UK, but went out of print anyway about 10 years ago. (In the US, all copies were sold through by the end of 1998 or so.) Since then, copies of the CD in mint condition have skyrocketed as the legend of Cotton Mather has grown in critical circles; last year the average price on the four copies that sold on Ebay was over $100.

Harrison, who now records fronting a new band called Future Clouds And Radar, also owns the rights to Kontiki, and decided he really wanted to see the record get the widespread release he’d always hoped it would get back in 1997. He set up a Kickstarter.com campaign to accomplish this, a deluxe reissue of Kontiki, featuring the original album and a bonus disc with some of the best outtakes from that time (Harrison describes these as “surprisingly good”, and I’ll trust his ear on this); there’ll also be liner notes about the songs and recording of the record.

So. If you still want in on some of the kickstarter goodies, click me.

Here’s the very droll and rather humble video Harrison made for the funding campaign. (Believe me when I say that Robert Harrison is about as nice a guy as you’ll find making incredibly artistic music.)

And you say you need some samples of this wonderful album to hear the hype?

Okay.

“Camp Hill Rail Operator”

“Homefront Cameo”

“My Before And After”

“Autumn’s Birds”

“Lily Dreams On”

There’s another Veronica Mars connection-- Paul Rudd actually performs “My Before And After” (as a new song by his character) in the show.

I’d never heard of the band before your post, but I knew I had heard that song recently. Turns out that’s what it is. My girlfriend’s watching the show at the moment.

I’m in for $25, if only because I want to justify my search this morning for the album to download.

Thanks, as always, Triggercut.

1. God I love Kickstarter.

2. You and Morton (and a few others) have floated a number of excellent mixes my way over the years. The 2k1 mix remains, for me, the best for a variety of reasons that don’t really have anything to do with the quality of the music contained therein (which is generally excellent, even when I don’t like it). You know the story, since we’ve discussed it in bits and pieces around the tubes over the years.

I loved music growing up but I was largely alone in what I liked. At college, with money only for beer, I sort of got away from music. An HBO episode of Reverb right at the beginning of my second college career wonderfully changed all of that (Built to Spill’s Keep it like a Secret and of courser Terror Twilight were the main focuses). I remember you drunkenly denouncing Terror Twilight back at GG to me (or, maybe I was drunkenly defending it? Hah, time flies!), and how I later came around to your side to a degree, and much later you came around to mine to a degree (it is a Malkmus Solo album in more ways than one - he layed down most of the tracks and as far as I can tell tightly controlled what little outside creative input there was - as I learned after I dove into S&E and CR/CR. But it’s a good Malkmus solo album). I remember you sending me a PM saying “hey, I sent these out, it’s my annual mix, you want a copy?” I was already hearing Fell in Love with a Girl on the radio (and I was more or less already in love with the Stripes at that point, but I hadn’t picked up WBC yet).

As far as I know I lost my copies of the 2k1 mix and they are gone forever (alas). I still think disk A is my favorite disk overall (I’m pretty sure at one point there’s a [something awesome I forget] - Letter from an Occupant - Sublimation Hour stretch that is just sublime). That disk. . . it spurred me to get WBC. I purchased Girls Can Tell, Mass Romantic, Street Hawk, and several albums I can’t think of right now. I didn’t get a GBV album right away. . .but I eventually got more into them.

There are albums I always wanted to get but never did (who sang Thank You REA?). Still, that period represents me coming back into music, and it’s a very happy time for me. Various mixes and albums became multi-purpose sound tracks. The 2k1 mix was there for me when I was just diving into Helherron, and much of my early postings to it were set to Disk B. There’s a Bobby Morton mix I played all during Geneforge 3 beta testing, and also while doing an extra long commute to take a certain class I needed at a sattelite campus. Stuff like that.

There are several songs from the 2k1 mix that still haunt me. Songs that have remained under my skin all this time. 40 Watt Solution is one of them.

So I kickstartdonated, and I’ll be getting this as soon as it becomes available.

Gorgeous!

Thanks for the link and the write-up, trig.

(Fixed the link for “Camp Hill Rail Operator”, which you really oughta listen to, because for me it encompasses what’s so great about Cotton Mather and Kontiki–the bass is totally controlled and in the beat, the guitars wander around it and maintain the melody…and the drums sound like an avalanche of too many beats for what’s going on.)

Just watched that season 3 episode of Veronica with Paul Rudd singing “My Before And After”. Amazing. Someone associated with that show was a huge Kontiki fan.

Cotton Mather didn’t fold the tents after Kontiki failed to menace in the US. They recorded an ep called “Hotel Baltimore” and then a final album which is also excellent called The Big Picture that came out in 2001 (which has the song “40 Watt Solution” as well as “Amps Of Sugarland”, perhaps my favorite 2 minute rock and roll song of the last 20 years.) After touring with The Big Picture, Harrison had an old back injury flare up badly; he withdrew into the country for self-described mental and physical healing so that was the end of Cotton Mather.

In much better health now, Harrison has a new record from Future Clouds And Radar due soon, as well as something from a new project of his called Sir Parker due this summer.

Wow, those samples are really, really good. As a huge Beatles fan, I really like this, and will donate as soon as I’m able (might not be for a while).

To be clear: the kickstarter.com project has already far exceeded its funding goal. If you want to own the CD, it’ll be out hopefully later this year or early next year, and should get a decently widespread release. I linked to the kickstarter.com page just in case anyone was interested in some of the “extras” that come with some of the donation levels.

Wow, that is some really good stuff. Camp Hill Operator sounds like it needs to be played loud, so I’ll have to wait to leave work to really appreciate it.

Sure, that’s a great album. I bought it because Little Steven named “She’s Only Cool” as The Coolest Song in the World This Week early on in his Underground Garage radio show, probably in 2000 or so.

I scored amazing alternate versions of “Homefront Cameo” and “Autumn’s Birds” somewhere (I think on the original Napster), but I’m not sure of their ultimate source. IIRC I far preferred the alternate of “Homefront Cameo” to the album version. If those are on this bonus disc…

1997 was by far the best year for alt rock that I can ever remember. Not surprised these Cotton dudes didn’t get a chance, I look forward to hearing them.

Holy shit those samples are amazing. Thank you, triggercut. I’m in.

Wow, and they’re a local band too?! Why didn’t I know them before this thread?

Cotton Mather was pretty much non-existent to most of the Austin music scene in the 1990’s. The lineup of the band changed fairly frequently, with only Robert Harrison and Whit Williams as constants, and they really wanted to only perform live as a 4-piece group so finding a drummer and either guitarist/bassist with some skills on keys wasn’t the easiest thing. As a result, there just weren’t many gigs for the band around the time of the Kontiki recording.

The label it was on, Copper Records, was tiny, and didn’t have much of a footprint in the city’s music scene either–mostly because Copper was kind of centered in Houston instead of Austin. When the band finally got some momentum, it was over in the UK where they were selling records and getting airplay, so when Cotton Mather solidified its lineup around the releases of the Hotel Baltimore EP and Big Picture albums it made sense to tour in the UK over the US (although they did play shows here, and especially in Texas).

When Harrison’s spinal condition and mental state made him decide to put Cotton Mather away after that, he seems to have gone into complete hibernation…

…but his new project, Future Clouds And Radar has enjoyed decent promotion for an independent band, including landing Harrison a spot singing “Build Havana” on the ABC series “Cupid” (Hey now–that’s also a Rob Thomas show like Veronica Mars…so I think I know who the Cotton Mather fan associated with those shows is now.)

My first thought: “hey, I’ve heard that song … wasn’t that … that song that guy sang in Veronica Mars?” Thanks for saving me the Google.

Thanks for the recommendation. Great find.

I just got an email via Kickstarter from Harrison thanking me for my donation. He’s officially a radical dude, and not just because he thinks “I have the coolest name”.

He’s also personally inviting us to the launch party, whenever it happens (the release is planned roughly for September), which I expect will be in Austin…

I can’t thank you enough for that link, triggercut. I thought you were crazy to compare them in quality to the Beatles and the Kinks, but after listening to the songs, I completely agree. I’ve listened to all the songs I could download from youtube about a dozen times now, and it’s an experience I’ve never had – I have tears welling up in my eyes during every song. I can’t believe music this good was ever made and that I get to hear it. Obviously I’m in for the kickstarter project, but I don’t think I can wait until September. I’m going to have to shell out for a used copy on Amazon marketplace.

Boy, this shows how much I don’t like alt rock. Thanks for the recommendation though.