The best games of 2009. Well, the first six months of 2009

First six months of 2009 has mostly been disappointing titles, one after another. Especially Demigod and Empire: Total Wars.

There are a few pleasant surprises, such as Wolverine, The Sims 3 and DoW2(MP only). However, they are not good enough to be qualified as GOTY material.

If I really have to choose I would nominate this JRPG on DS called Suikoden: Tierkreis, which you own a castle and recruit characters to join you. Very addicting.

If you can’t find ten games you like from the first half of this year, you probably hate games. Great year so far.

If I made a list it would probably include…

Flower
Noby Noby Boy
Wheelman
Dynasty Warriors Gundam 2
Pixeljunk Eden Encore
Excitebots
Prototype
Infamous
Red Faction Guerrilla
Dawn of Discovery

And if I have to retroactively bump something when Sims 3 finally gets released on Steam, I’d probably go with… damn, it’s too tough to choose. Eleven best games of the first half of 2009, coming soon!

I’m still catching on on the best of 2008, and my general game intake in 2009 (let alone my 2009 game intake) has been severely limited as it is.

So, at this point, the list looks like this:

1: Plants vs. Zombies
2: House of the Dead: Overkill
3: Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars

So, Tom’s right, I couldn’t get to five. Though not for the reasons he implied.

What’s wrong with Empire? Did it not turn out well? I played the demo, and it seemed OK.

thinkingork, how is that Suikoden different from the others? That sounds like every Suikoden game, so I’m wondering if the mechanics are different in some way. I’ve been thinking of picking it up, or at least renting.

I like BjB’s list, even though I’ve only played one game on it (inFamous, which I really liked). His list is sort of my current most wanted games list.

Or, based off that list, don’t own any modern consoles!

Same thing.

I see, uh, 8 PS3 games on that list.

You are an idiot. There is one PC game on there and one Wii game.

I think you may have misread Tim’s post.

Indeed, it would seem that I am the idiot.

Well I just took that in stride so you probably could have gotten away with it. :)

Amazing half-year. Looking forward to seeing what the 2nd half brings (HOI3!). My top 5:

1. Red Faction: Guerilla
  2. Sims 3
  3. Plants vs Zombies
  4. Infamous
  5. Resident Evil 5

Top 4 was easy-peasy. Lots of things vying for my 5th slot though… Dawn of Discovery, Overlord II, Duels of the Planeswalkers, Banjo Tooie XBLA, Super Robot Taisen OG Endless Frontier… and I haven’t even opened my import copy of Demon’s Souls yet!

I think Empire Total War is the only game I have bought in 2009. I was out of the country Q4 of 2008, so I have been playing those games. Since I was very disappointed in Empire, I guess my list of the best released games of 2009 is non-existent :P

I will say that I am currently playing L4D, CoD: World at War MP, and NeoTokyo for HL2. Also, I replayed Streets of Rage II on Sega with my brother.

So, best game of 2009: Streets of Rage II!

Tom has done his annual list of best games for the first half of the year. 2010 this time. Too lazy to start a new thread. Someone else do it. Or we could discuss it here in last year’s thread.

I’m surprised to count the first 8 games on that list as ones that I haven’t played yet. However, I couldn’t agree more with the top 2 games on that list. They are so incredible.

Woo Just Cause 2!

I really need to give Darksiders another try eventually. I think Bayonetta was still too fresh in my mind and muscle memory when I tried the demo, and still too fresh when goozex got the full game to me faster than I expected. In comparison to that, I felt like every time I was brawling things I was locked in cement, and I didn’t stick with it long enough to open up any of its other charms.

I will never think of Bioshock 2 as anything more than a soulless cash-in for people who don’t know any better. The addition of multiplayer proves it, and Yahtzee agreeing proves it x2.

I’m surprised Tom liked Bayonetta (I wasn’t aware he’d even played it), since it’s decidedly non-beret wearer friendly. But I absolutely agree with his 2 line review. Just a brilliant game that knows exactly what it’s doing and does it well. I’ve said it before, but while the gameplay says “Devil May Cry”, everything else screams “God Hand”.

Wow, I’m seeing a real paucity of Red Dead Redemption mentions on here. What happened? Or are all the RDR-heads too busy killing snakes to even have read this thread yet?

Ouch at Tom’s list. Can’t hate the man for having an opinion, but three months later and I can’t recall a thing from my playthrough of Bioshock 2. Red Dead and Mass Effect all the way for me.