The best games of 2013 (so far!)

If number of copies soid had anything to do with how good something was then you might have a point.

Checking out Sword and Glory. Thanks.

Yeah Guacamelee is more than that. It's good.

Played through the game entirely in single player and I've worked through most of it with a friend as well and never for one second while I/we were playing it did we think 'we should do this instead of what we want to do because then our score will be higher.' Granted it gives you a score at a ranking after each level but while you're playing the actual game part of the game, trust me on this one, it's the furthest thing from your mind.

Awesome list, Tom! I gotta say that Rogue Legacy has definitely got it's hooks into me. I probably plugged 4 or 5 hours into it on the fourth. It's the kind of game that would make for a totally awesome game diary.

I wish I could say Kingdom Rush Frontiers, but I found that game too simple and the towers didn't fully unlock until too late in the campaign. Even the challenges seem easier than in the first Kingdom Rush.

The most opened app on my phone right now is Neuroshima Hex, Lost Cities, and Stone Age. My wife and I basically have a continuous async competition going during the workday.

I've heard fantastic things about the new expansion for Ascension: Immortal Heroes, but I just can't bring myself to buy anymore with the impending death of this version of Ascension.

Lastly, it's not out, but Battle of the Bulge creators Shenandoah Studios are Kickstarting a Gettysburg game. Shut up and take my money!

Any way I could convince you to drop the childish little slur "gay"?

I completely agree! I haven't finished The Walking Dead -- just completed Episode 4 last night, Episode 5 will probably be tonight -- but increasingly I do get the feeling that it is simply trying to pull on the same heart strings to earn critical renown. I guess it worked, as The Walking Dead received a plethora of awards last year, but going back to it after playing The Last of Us just made it seem like it was trying too hard. (Also, it occurred to me that Metro: Last Light works with similar themes as well, though in a slightly different manner. Still, another example!)

I really don't want a sequel to The Last of Us either. There are plenty of video game worlds that I would love to revisit -- RPG worlds primarily (Mass Effect, Fallout, et cetera), but also the Dead Space universe, Metro, State of Decay, Psychonauts, and so forth -- but The Last of Us is not one of them; Naughty Dog had their story to tell and, though I'm sure there are plenty other tales to be told of the survivors in that world, I really don't know where else they would go with it. And I really don't think they could do anything to top The Last of Us; it wasn't perfect but it was damn close for what it was. Adding more onto the end would somehow cheapen the experience, I think.

Definitely not. I got so bored on my playthrough of Bioshock Infinite I barely made it through for the story. The lack of carryover and being shepherded through encounters makes the second playthrough untenable.

The last of us has a great story, but I found the gameplay repetitive and not challenging in a good way like a Dark Souls.

Both the games you mentioned are over-hyped garbage. I don't even think this is a good site for you to be reading if you think highly of that kind of game.

The only one being childish is you. Can't a homosexual individual enjoy deviant behaviors without requiring that we adjust our language to accommodate their precious feelings? Maybe we should start editing the Bible too while we're at it, we can just say God didn't understand them rather than calling them blasphemous and disgusting.

Its a metroidvania.

Level editor is out, uses Steamworks

It's circumstantial evidence. The game has fallen off many radars.

Tlou is so gay that it makes Justin Bieber look like a man.

To each their own and all but the Tomb Raider love always surprises me. I felt there was barely a game in there and the heroine was not even remotely the strong, bad-ass, do-a-hand-stand-then-swan-dive-in-to-a-pit-of-tigers Lara Croft I know.

I'm playing through it right now actually (nearing the end, I think), and it strikes me as being very much an Uncharted-style game but with less space to move around in combat situations.

The game seems to only challenge you when putting you in a situation where you're cornered, and then throwing enemy after enemy at you. It's less annoying / drawn-out than when e.g. Uncharted 3 does that, but then there weren't really enough big, more open fights to make up for that.

The game has way more stuff to collect than Uncharted though, but I rarely have fun doing that since most of the environments are so small and linear.

I think there've been about two locations in the game where I stopped and took the time to really explore (apart from the tombs, but they were so short...), but then the rest game was this rollercoaster-style action movie with only hints of survival elements and exploration along the way.

A shame... I love the way Lara controls in this game, but most of the time it doesn't matter because I'm just going on a straight path through a rather bland Hollywood action movie script.

There is literally nothing that interests me less than what the Bible has to say about homosexuality.

Have you tried Ni no Kuni yet?

It could happen.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...