The best games of 2018 (so far!)

It’s been a shockingly good first 6 months of the Year for Games. My list would be as follows:

1. Battletech
  2. God of War
  3. OnRush
  4. Monster Hunter World
  5. Pillars of Eternity II
  6. Vermintide 2
  7. Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey Redux
  8. Ni No Kuni 2
  9. Radiant Historia Perfect Chronology

If you’re going to look up the builds for Slay the Spire you’ve deprived yourself of like 80% of the fun of the game. I’ve taught myself how to ascend with the Ironclad and it was a fun 10 hours or so that I’m going to get to do twice more with the other characters. Which is a thing you can do in a game where a complete playthrough takes 30 minutes

When it came to terrifying enemies and sound design, Prey just didn’t come close to System Shock 2 which set the bar for haunted space ship games 20 years ago (oh my god, has it been that long?). I guess it was a case of “I saw this done better all the way back in 1998” ?

Which is a shame because it’s better gameplay wise, polish wise, and mechanics wise. I just got done hosing down a heartless with a comical foam goo gun and “horror” was the furthest thing from my mind.

Yes, Prey doesn’t particularly try to be part survival horror, unlike SS2.

Nothing will ever match the cyborg midwives, I’m totally with you there.

Or the scream of those damn monkeys.

It turns out I can’t deal with survival horror so I am glad they designed it the way it did or I wouldn’t have been able to play it. Alien Isolation sits quietly in my steam library at 4 hours of game time, unlikely to ever be returned to…

Oh, man, Florence came out this year. It’s got to be on my list. Could easily see it being my favorite of the year come December.

Okay, and now that I’m done with it, Yoku’s Island Express is definitely a list-maker!

RPS late to the party!

Don’t really care for the new RPS design.

Don’t really care for RPS.

RPS is the best, will get used to the new design.

RPS needs to work on its writing/editing instead of its appearance.

Alice O’Connor’s news write-ups were entertaining and, amazingly, not annoying. But I doubt she’s still around?

At first I found much of the writing style there entertaining but after a little while it started to grate on me. I’m not sure who it was I was frequently reading.

Alice is still there.

And joined by another Alice. Soon it will be Alices all the way down.

Subnautica is my favorite game of the last I don’t know how many years.

Adding Hollow Knight to my list because those worms are the cutest.