The Big Sick (2017)

Meh.

Thought we had a thread about this, but I guess I was thinking about the brief discussion in the “Thread of Liberal Stupidity” over in the P&R section.

I’m sure plenty of people will like this, it’s a sweet story that’s based on real life (no idea exactly what details are authentic and what’s changed for the film), and most people don’t want to hear film criticism for a feel-good movie like that. Plus, it’s getting recognition since Kumail Nanjiani is a minority, and it is great to see him staring in a movie earning mainstream traction that very much involves specifics of his family and cultural heritage, but again, it makes it even more of a buzzkill when you don’t actually like the film.

But here we are. It’s just a bland, safe, rom-com, with a lot going for it in the cast, but nothing to elevate it above predictable rom-com territory.

Regarding the title… @tomchick can change that setting in the Admin panel.

I am interested in seeing this, but it’s probably going to end up being a Netflix watch for me. I don’t know too much about it other than it’s a slightly fictional used account of Kumail and Emily’s early relationship? I liked the podcast those guys did about video games, they seem like a fun couple.

It’s distributed by Amazon, so you may not see it on Netflix specifically.

I thought it was a made up story, but hearing that it is highly biographical made it more … plausible, for me. Overall I liked it and I recommend it, but it is a romantic comedy so my enthusiasm for the entire genre isn’t great.

Hey man, don’t edit my thread title.

Hey Tom (edited to remove the actual tagging of Tom since he’s probably just avoiding the thread since he hasn’t seen the movie), is this something you’re willing to change? I’m giving @wumpus a hard time about it because I assume it’s a Discourse default that’s gone unexamined, and in my opinion “The Big Sick” should be perfectly sufficient as a thread title despite not being 15 characters.

But if you’ve decided we still need to stick with that restriction, I’ll quit fussing with him about it.

@tomchick can decide on minimum topic title length, I don’t have any opinion about that – but I’m not a fan of obnoxious-for-the-sake-of-being-obnoxious topic titles.

So why don’t we leave it to him?

I got bit by that Topic title length thing with the Evolution 2017 topic in the Games forum. I had to add something to it which is why it has that quote from last year’s tournament in the topic title.

I was referring to deciding on default minimum allowed topic title length, not whether or not an intentionally obnoxious title should be left around for others to stumble over. At any rate, the current title is fine, and Tom can decide what he wants to do about topic title minimum length as he sees fit.

Dude, do not change anyone’s thread title. Ever. Period. End of sentence. In fact, please don’t use your admin access for anything that isn’t absolutely necessary to running Discourse as software. What the heck are you thinking?

@WhollySchmidt please feel free to change the thread title back to whatever you had originally.

-Tom

Now I kinda want to literally change the title to whatever you had originally, but for the sake of not dicking around the thread any more than I already have, I’m good as is.

Predictably (for me, not for anyone’s perception of me) I really enjoyed this.

The relationship between Kumail and Emily is on fast-forward a little bit to get to the actual drama of the title and his relationship with her parents but I didn’t mind that too much.

I’d agree that it’s relatively safe but knowing that it’s true in essence is what elevates it above predictable rom-com territory. Not too far above it but I’d happily add this into my rom-com rotation.

I saw this and I’m not a huge fan of the genre but it was really hot and the theater so cool and inviting. I agree that the memoir-ness of the thing made it more plausible and more enjoyable.

@ChristienMurawski and Kelly Wand talk a bit about The Big Sick at the start of the QT3 3x3 podcast about favorite ‘no’.

I finished watching this last night. Nice little movie. I had heard of Anupum Kher being in the movie as Kumail’s dad but it was disappointing that he had such a small role in the movie. What was a pleasant surprise is that Ray Romano is also in the movie, which I’d never heard about, and he had a nice big role in the movie, and he filled that role really well.

I’d go so far is to say that Ray Romano and Holly Hunter are the heart of the movie, not Emily and Kumail. And they’re the reason I really liked this movie.