The Bitcoin Saga

I thought Magic cards were the BitCoin of the late 90’s? ;-)

Oh, I sat out that part of the 90s. I guess even with Magic cards you’d have some nice frameable art.

Magic card values for a handful of stuff from the early 90s are continuing to rise due to Wizard’s retarded no reprint rules for most of the old money cards. I wish they’d reprint them (because almost all of them are super cool cards that are fun to play in decks!) and crash the market, Bitcoin style, because collectors, it turns out, ruin collectible card games.

Yeah Moxes and Lotuses are still worth a hell of a lot.

And if all else fails you can play with them and they’re broken powerful.

If all else fails with Bitcoins you don’t even have a picture or a fucking coin.

Yeah, my son inherited a couple. His friends occasionally complained.

I have quite a few valuable ones. They are sitting in my basement in a box and have been for years. Someone I ran into at work a few months back was talking about Magic and I mentioned this, only to found out HOLY JESUS the prices are insane now. Seriously. I came into the game around the end of Unlimited and really started getting a lot of stuff in Revised, but I have a few Alphas and Betas and rares from some early expansions.

As an example I have at least 5 or 6 of every bi-land, and for many I have upwards of 10 or more. Back then you almost were required to have them in decks you played, so if you were going to bust out 3-4 decks at a gaming day or party, well, you needed them. Apparently you can drop those now for $50-100 depending on which. That’s insane.

Obviously Lotus and Moxes were super rare and sadly, even I did not have them.

Noticeably more than that (even accounting for lower value to sellers than the purchase price) for some. Underground Sea from Unlimited’s going for $300+ right now. I mean, nothing compared to Black Lotus ($4K+), but shit, man.

Which sucks, because the oldschool Dual Lands are just the bee’s knees for multicolor decks. None of the dumb shenanigans modern Duals have to weaken them, just counts as both X and Y, play it like any other land, no BS. God they’re so nice.

Also, you know, I’m not gonna blow $320 on the mana base for my goofy White/Black Cleric reanimator deck.

Magic card prices are hella goofy.

Finally, this thread gets to talk about something of tangible value.

What’s funny is that I started between major sets. So when you needed something like that, you’d go buy what they had, and it might have been unlimited. Meanwhile the borders were changing, the card shape was changing, etc. It was a bit of a nightmare, pun intended.

I’m assuming that’s part of the collector mentality now. Black bordered beta versions = more, etc.

When I was flat broke in college (or just after) I sold a Shivan Dragon so I could afford a Whopper Combo.

I like telling that story.

I’m an absolute crypto currency skeptic…

Recently there was a SEC meeting where they said some some vague, hand-wavey stuff about not wanting to impede the enthusiasm for crypto currencies and the market went crazy and shot up.

As an outsider, looking in - crypto currency seems to be some kind of mass hysteria. It’s like those old points scams you read about or other pyramid schemes from the 70s and 80s. The world has gone mad I tell you…

That site:

Hahahaha fuck off. If you think I’m going to some crypto website without full adblock you’re having a laugh.

Judging from this Coindesk article, the “greenlight” consists of policymakers not saying all crypto should be immediately banned, which, fine, but it’s hardly an endorsement. The SEC has been getting more and more aggressive, both in its signalling and in its enforcement actions, about ICOs, as it should. I don’t really see this as a change of direction.

Seems like every site is now throwing up a popup saying “hey, we don’t deserve to be ad blocked. Please click the button to turn it off.” And I’m like… “nope.” Some sites (maybe kiplingers? don’t recall the exact ones) refuse to let you go without turning off the ad blocker, to which I say “there’s plenty of other content out there, bubba” as I close that browser tab.

How long till there is no other content? I know this is a bad of its own making this is a death spiral waiting to happen.

The CPUs running the distributed ledger to clear transactions for the currency have a non-zero value, so cryptocurrencies aren’t worth nothing. The value is essentially the number of processors running the blockchain (so if you started a new coin tomorrow, it would be worth nothing if you couldn’t persuade anyone to run it). But the distributed ledgers are in competition with other payment providers who provide the same service at a known cost.

It’s not like you can redeem your crypto for a CPU though, so unless you go into the labour theory of value, I’m not sure that holds up.

That’s the eternal struggle. Honestly, I wouldn’t mind ads as long as they didn’t do the following:

1. destroy my bandwidth
  2. pop-up/obscure content
  3. make noise
  4. track my data

But it’s a tug-of-war between business interests funding the content and consumer interests not wanting to worsen their experience or reduce their already limited privacy.

Honestly, I’d be fine if they just hosted and served the ads themselves and took moral and legal responsibility for any malware and other objectionable content, like every previous advertising driven media. I’m not against ad-driven business models. I just find this wild west where users are supposed to open themselves up to total system compromise just to visit a website utterly intolerable.

Oh my. Where did I put those boxes?

Coincidentally for this thread, a new ad concern is this:

1. Runs a crypto-mining set while the ad plays, using your CPU cycles.