The Black Lives Matter movement

That’s a picture of Edgar Maddison Welch, the guy who entered Comet Ping Pong and discharged a rifle, one of two weapons he had on him. Arrested without incident.

But Walter Scott, who was unarmed and running away, presented enough of a threat that an officer feared for his life and shot Scott several times in the back.

EDIT: I did a quick Google image search of both Scott and Welch. These are the first photos that show up for each of these men.

Scott:

Welch:

Not to diminish what the cop did, but it does look like one of them listened to the directions of officers while the other didn’t. Not a reason to kill him though.

Yeah, I hear what you’re saying. Although given what’s been occurring, I’m not sure how safe Walter Scott would have been either way.

You remember the black guy lying down in the street with his hands up, because they told him to lie on the ground and raise his hands… and you remember he was shot too right?

Yeah “not following instructions” is a BS excuse. You get shot regardless half the time and it’s not like white people follow instructions and you don’t see them getting shot over and over for it. I’ve known a lot of white-trash/redneck types and one thing they don’t ever do is follow the directions of cops. And they also don’t get killed for it.

Yeah, after the guy who got shot while lying on the ground with guys hands up? I no longer think it is totally reasonable to expect folks to surrender to cops.

It seems like, if you’re black, there a non trivial chance that you are gonna be shot no matter what you do, or what you’ve done.

A young white kid here failed to follow two cops instructions and paid for it with his life. The video was everywhere. Can’t remember his name though. Thanks google…Dylan Noble.

I am sure nobody here is arguing you shouldn’t do what the cop tells you to do. That sounds irresponsible to me.

But the counter argument is pretty strong. A young Black guy followed instructions and was still shot. At least you have a chance to live if you run.

Well, I imagine statistically, following a cop’s instructions regardless of race dynamic is less likely to get you shot than disobeying. It’s just that this issue is as much a victim of every crime reported by the media. We get bombarded by the news until we popularly believe the worst will happen every time.

That’s not to diminish the seriousness of the issue. It’s just that we all lose a little perspective on these things when we see the worst over and over.

Yea…right. Every day we hear about that in the news. Every day…every day…every day. I think most prefer to play the odds and do what the cop says.

EDIT: edited to bold the sarcastic part.

Are you white? Cause if you are, then that’s probably the correct move.

LOL I just re-read that post.

Make sure you do some cocaine before you run to help with your reactions! Pro tip!

Man, if only these whiny-ass protesters would just shut up already, amirite?

If you do what the cop says, you should’t be playing the odds. The problem is, if you are a black man, it seems to be playing the odds no matter what you do. As in your chance of survival is completely about how the cop feels at any given moment… which is a problem.

I was talking about killings. Not protesters. Protesters got the right to go on forever, and more power to them. But based on the number of people arrested daily (white, black or brown) the percentage killed is pretty low (still too high) and I would wager that the percentage who failed to follow the cops orders made up the largest number (regardless of color).

So you agree that a black man should just ignore the cop and run for it?

I’ll repeat what I actually said in case you missed it.

A black man’s “chance of survival is completely about how the cop feels at any given moment… which is a problem.”

Answer the question please. Everyone here thinks every cop is shooting every black male they run across. You know, and I know, and they know, that isn’t true.

I don’t deny there are shitty racist cops out there, and there shouldn’t be. But don’t deny that anyone, black or white, has a better chance if they do what the cop asks.

That’s not true. The fact that you can state that or even believe it tells me you’re not making a conscience effort to even evaluate what others are saying. I will answer your question when you actually take a moment to digest what I am telling you. You’ve made no attempt to do so thus far.

Read the above posts. Read your own posts. Because it doesn’t fit your narratives doesn’t make it wrong. The posts above depict a world where cops should be ignored because it is safer or doesn’t matter. That isn’t real world. There are bad cops…but the deaths, as bad as they are, are not the norm.

Again it seems like we are just talking past each other.

I have just asked a simple question…A black man should just ignore the cop and run for it? Others here have said they might as well. I disagree. Plain and simple.