The Black Lives Matter movement

BRB looking at her district boundaries and seeing if I can move into them.

Not sarcastic either, since I’m moving into that area. I’d gladly vote for her after reading about her.

EDIT: looks like no. A little too far east of where I’ll be working.

I thought you were headed to Pittsburgh. Change of plans?

Yes. Long story, but I’m even in Portland now

Oh wow, well you’re a step closer to LA now for a visit! Though now we’re somewhat seriously considering moving off to Kansas City to raise the family after our cross country road trip.

You could not pay me enough to live there. It’s nothing but boring for hundreds of miles west.

I’m 57, and in my entire life I’ve never called the police. I can’t imagine calling them for a nuisance complaint.

Never had a subwoofer parked across the alley blaring while you’re trying to get a baby to nap, or dudes smashing up garbage to grab whatever copper they can take to the scrapyard, or 3am shouting domestics next door, I take it? Or maybe you’re just a better person than me.

No, I’ve certainly had nuisances like that. I’ve generally found that if you ask people to quiet down, they will. Have you tried that?

How many times have you called the cops on someone for a nuisance complaint?

I’ve spoken to people who are being obnoxious, yes. I’ve also declined to insert myself into someone else’s screaming match, or ask the probable drug dealers to turn down their music.

Maybe I’ll try being a condescending prick next time, see how that goes.

Well, you’ve got the talent for it.

We had a neighbor get transferred there. Their house was flooded out about six months after they moved there. I remember thinking that I had no idea the weather was actually worse there than in central California, but all we have here is heat.

I have called the cops only once for loud music. The renter in the house behind me set up a tent in her backyard and had a DJ with music that actually rattled our windows. At 10:01 I called the cops. I figured that was late enough.

I don’t have a problem with people calling the cops in an instance where it makes sense, e.g. a domestic disturbance. I had specifically asked about calling 911 for a nuisance complaint. I think of 911 as being for emergencies. I have called 911 for stuff like a driver being stupid on the highway where calling local authorities was impractical.

The problem with parties that go to 4am is you can’t call the main office, they’re closed. I’ve called on the parties that won’t stop that are incredibly loud, so have other neighbors. It’s simply not a good idea to approach a bunch of drunk people at a loud party at 4am in the morning. At the same time, the police are not going to show up shooting everyone at a party.

If there is an issue during the day, you can just call the main office. Confronting your neighbor maybe entirely up to the neighbor. this particular party had multiple call ins from several neighbors. Pretty much all of these videos we’ve been seeing have been during the day and… they’re questionable about the offence. Selling water, bbqing, swimming in a pool…

Yeah, I mean, if you can’t call the local office, you can’t.

Heck I’ve called and driven to the local office. I wanted to be there in person because I had concerns about a huge black van with someone living in it and very little visibility in the window parked off and on on the side of the road at my house. I wanted to make sure they knew I was serious when I said the guy living in it hasn’t done anything wrong, but I wanted to make sure because you can’t see much in the van and there are kids around these roads… asked them to just check he was okay to be around here.

What is it with all these racist mean old white ladies lately? Is this a new phenomenon, or is it just the increased awareness and ubiquity of recording devices?

It’s almost like someone is setting an example for them to follow…

It’s a copycat thing, I suspect. Maybe hoping for a gofundme and/or 15 minutes of fame while lacking the ability to understand how destructive her actions are.

Mean old white and racists ladies, around forever. Is it new for them to do this in public for the most part, kind of yes which I think is borne of this idea that we’re supposed to tolerate them now and not smash them down kind of talks.The only thing recordings do is make what others have been saying for years also have proof which i guess makes it more real to those who never believed it before.