The Black Lives Matter movement

I think the kid’s coaches screwed up. Reading the Philly Inquirer article on this, it seems they knew the week before that the head cover was not per code (needed to connect to the head gear). However, the ref in that match let it go, while this week the ref didn’t, but really the coaches should have gotten the gear fixed prior to next the match.

So, the ref might have been right?

Oh, that won’t go down well in this forum.

Yes, that’s the bit Gandhi was missing. He should have gone out for the high school cricket side, it would so have informed his views on protest.

Incorrect. I was in varsiety as a freshman. Did that give me special powers or something?

Yeah, I’m sure that will erase him saying nigger.

That doesn’t mean the ruling might not be technically right. And then what do you do?

The kid and the coach decided that in this case the game was important than the cause. That was the decision made on the field. And it sucks that the kid would have to lose his identity to wrestle but I am not going to force a kid to throw a match, no matter how good the cause. This is something that should be resolved by parents and adults without involving the kid.

I want you to tell me what being the runnr up for state the first year I was in my sport and skipping over junior varsity entirely has to do with understanding that sometimes winning isn’t everything.

Yeah which is why people said before you tried to school us that the adults involved should have done adulting. What happened shouldn’t have happened.

But you answer doesn’t work, especially if the ruling is the correct one.

You don’t need a ref with a history of racism to tell a kid to cut his hair like that. There are coaches involved and kids don’t magically just show up it of nowhere. He could’ve been corrected before.

So what magical powers do I have now that you know I actually played sports? We don’t stop being not white, by the way, simply because we participate within the confines of institutions notorious for racism. It’s not something you’re not aware of even as a kid.

The people decided that getting to their destination was more important than equality before the law, so they sat in the back of the bus. That was the decision made on the field.

I mean, why do you keep saying this? What do you think it means? If you set up a power imbalance and use it to persecute people based on race, when they surrender to your authority do you really think it’s because they wanted to?

I am saying that making this kid the center point of this particular crusade is selfish. Let the kid be a kid.
And that we may not have all the facts, and that the kid may have been in the wrong, on a technicality.

I have this idealized fantasy that if I were in the shoes of the coach, I would say to the ref: “Shave my head first.” And then dramatic music would play, all the others wrestlers would demand to be shaved in solidarity, and a shaving montage would ensue while Freddie sings “we are the champions”.

OK that’s hokey but I feel the coach did in fact have options.

I’m a coach. You call the parents if something like this happens. Certainly before you take steps like cutting a child’s hair in the gym. I’d like to think that if I believed the ref was acting out his racist fantasies, I’d walk. I’ve never been in that situation and I hope I never am.

“Keep Portland Weird White”

What is it that white folks are so scared of? I’d like to know if I should be afraid. I mean, as a minority, I might be a threat to myself and not even know it.

It’s an intimidation power trip.

A misunderstanding? What kind of “misunderstanding” has someone call the cops on someone in the lobby of a hotel…Oh I see. It’s a black man in a hoodie. I forgot hoodie privileges are reserved for only certain people.

Yeah, it’s BS.
Hotel Guest: “And I stay here?”
Racist: “Not anymore.”

There’s no misunderstanding.

If I were a cop I’d be all up in the face of the jerk who called 911 and then apologizing profusely to the individual who was reported. In fact I’d give him my card and say if anyone bothered you again like this you give me a call.

Cops only seem to have the power to make death decisions, not logical ones. They usually come out saying something like they have to respond to a business when they call.

I would just like to know what the misunderstanding is that they said happened.

Yeah, I mean naively one might expect cops to enforce the law rather than just doing what the business owner wants

Hahahahahahaha