The board game market is seriously dysfunctional

I disagree that the good games off crowdfunding will necessarily be available eventually through other channels. There’s plenty of stuff I adore that has only ever been crowdfunded and only ever will be crowdfunded, most likely, unless you happen to have a local store that backs crowdfunding projects and has a few copies that way. Some of that stuff is probably never going to be made again as companies move on or go out of business. Even if it does come to retail, availability is often extremely spotty at best.

That said - if for some reason you don’t want to take advantage of the many delights of crowdfunding, which I remain wholeheartedly in favor of doing, that just means you’ll miss out on some good games. You’re going to miss out on good games regardless. There are too many boardgames being printed too infrequently not to. And there are absolutely plenty of great games going direct to retail. I just find that the specific sort of thing I’m personally most looking for usually isn’t (highly thematic, at least mildly deep coop games with nice production and a strong emphasis on narrative with or without a campaign) and not infrequently doesn’t make sense to stock at retail afterwards because of things like shelf space, cost of production and so forth. All of which said…apparently Awaken Realms did a deal with Asmodee to distribute their games? So maybe that’ll be changing for one publisher’s great games!