The Brew Barons - hooch, heavily armed seaplanes, and a dash of Porco Rosso

You have my attention!

been having no issues with hotas controls

Also just set up and tested my HOTAS, and it worked great.

Anyone tried this on the Steam Deck yet?

I did, the reports of mid-30s FPS is right. I find the framerate acceptable for now, and Deck optimization is apparently next up from the devs. Also, the thumbstick controls are a little sharp, and there is a bit of fiddliness with the menus.

The voice acting is apparently all AI generated.

Mh, got myself into a nice softlock. The plane repairs are pretty expensive, and you total your plane when you crash. That, in itself, wouldn’t be much of an issue, but…

…there’s only one save, and the game autosaves.
…and every time you crash, most of your cargo is lost.

So, I’m broke, the plane’s broken, and I can’t fulfil the contract cause I lost the cargo. Sucks to be me, I guess, but that’ll be a restart and a gentle reminder that the ground which is closing in at high velocity is not friendly. :/

The M/KB flight controls feel a bit counter-intuitive.

Welp. That’s me moving on.

Can you say more? As a protest for the game not hiring actors, or because you’re worried it will sound bad? And is this something that other games have done maybe I wasn’t aware of?

When @Alstein posted that, I initially read it as a bullet point, almost a boast. But it looks like it was instead a warning to potential players. Sorry if I’m coming across as naive, but can someone thumbnail for me how/why that’s objectionable.

Yes, that’s pretty much it. I get that indie companies are going to do whatever they can to keep development costs down, but I draw the line at buying games when I know they’re using AI instead of hiring voice actors or artists.

I also know that it’s a losing fight and most people won’t care if their future games are 100% AI generated mish-mashes of other works. I’m old so I have the luxury of being stubborn.

When I watched the trailer, I was afraid of that.

Yeah, guess I am not buying if that is the case.

I found it in the Kickstarter

Voice Lines: We think many will be happy to hear that all the characters in the game will speak their lines! Which just makes things easier when we’re focusing on the action. Voices were something we always wanted to support though looked unlikely due to the limited budget, but with more recent advancements in AI training it has become possible. Our character voices are derived from one of two methods, either a mixture of real voices from real people used to teach the AI, or entirely from AI. So far we are pleased with the outcome but at a later point in time we will assess recasting some of the AI voices with real voice actors if it’s within our budget.

Yeahhhhh I don’t know how I feel about that. Ugh.

This is one of my increasing number of lines I’m starting to draw on games.

Look, I got a lot of games to play, and if they want to cheap out on VO, I can play something else.

I have to agree that’s a major negative for me. This game went from “I’m gonna get it!” to “ehhhhhh . . . I’ll think about it” with that news. The technology is fascinating, and honestly I can appreciate how this can add a bunch of flexibility to studios. That said, something doesn’t feel right even though I can’t decide the proportionality between the thought of potentially taking money away from voice actors, concerns over quality, or the overall sense that it’s supporting a trend I’m not a fan of in general.

Sigh, yeah, I’m gonna uninstall it. I’d rather they had used no voices than “AI” voices. AI is a net detriment for humanity.

I am actually kind of pissed about this, because I thought that Steam was supposed to be making it clear when a game uses AI generated content, and judging from the store page, you can’t tell unless you check the discussion page.

Where is the" AI generated" tag?

I’m so old that I played games for ages before VO became a thing, so I don’t necessarily miss it. I played Sovereign Syndicate (a game in the vein of Disco Elysium/Planescape Torment) and essentially forgot it didn’t have VO after about 5 minutes.

I think the game is cute, plays fine so far on the steam deck. Can’t say I care about ai voices, we’ve had voice synthesizers since the 80s. The game benefits from being voiced, and there are few games I’d say that about.

Agree on the use of ai voices instead of actors, yet relieved they didn’t find actual actors that poor.