The Brew Barons - hooch, heavily armed seaplanes, and a dash of Porco Rosso

In what is probably the biggest surprise for me this month, this odd little title released today:

So, yeah, booze making mixed with air combat, in the style of Porco Rosso (no, that’s not a liquor…then again, I’ve drunk odder sounding things…). I figured that mixture might get a few people around here interested, particularly the “booze running with an armed seaplane” thing.

It’s out now on Steam:

An indie take on Skygunners? I’m in

Oooh, intruiging. The two-person team lists these as some of their credits:

That’s an, uh, interesting pedigree for an open-world arcade-flight RPG, but I’ll bite. Superthanks for the heads-up, @Thorne!

I saw this randomly flagged on ResetERA the other day and the trailer immediately put it on my radar. Will wait for impressions as I worry it could be a bit heavy on the gathering and crafting side of things but it could be right up my alley if done well.

Crimson Skies follow-up is what that trailer says to me.

To which I say: YES PLEASE!

Yes, exactly! Gimme gimme!

Only thing worrying me is that gathering. If it gets too much in the way of flying it would be unfortunate.

You gather while flying, like shooting trees and cutting wheat with your propeller.

This perhaps explains some of the low-altitude flying I’ve seen in Ukraine

It says it’s coming out in 14 hours, and no mention of Early Access, as far as I can see, right?

Nope, full version. Played a bunch today, liked it a lot.

Tip: Use mouse controls. The gamepad controls are kiiiiinda borked right now. Mouse is 1,000x better.

Wow, if I have to control the planes using a mouse I’d rather play a different game instead.

If you were okay with Freelancer you’d be okay with this.

I finished Freelancer, but I definitely didn’t enjoy the gameplay thanks to the mouse controls.

Well then hopefully they sort out the gamepad controls.

Oh god my sixth sense perked up when someone mentioned freelancer.

I still have a leather Freelancer jacket that was a promo from when the game was launched. Sadly it has some tears around the cuffs, because it’s a killer jacket.

17 bucks…that’s far less than expected. Oi, luv’d Freelancer, luv booze, hate air poirates, simple as!
I’ll take the plunge.

I get the sense it’s a pretty modest game in scope/content. The team is tiny.

Those aren’t tears, just battle scars. Keep wearing it with pride.