The Case of Charles Dexter Ward -- BBC adapts Lovecraft

American here. App installed just fine, no issues registering as a new user and subscribing to the podcast. Thanks for the heads-up, @Wendelius!

Got thru the new season over the weekend, it was pretty interesting and entertaining, that’s all I say for now!

Nice ! Glad it worked for you.

I liked the first two seasons, but I felt like there were a few points in the second one that were just big exposition dumps- really clunky and didn’t fit into the narrative well. And now they’re doing (yet another) version of Shadow…? I’ll listen, but I don’t have high hopes.

Awesome- Thanks! I listened to the Dexter Ward one a while ago, and really enjoyed that. So well done. I remember thinking the ending degenerated a bit, but thats pretty much most horror/mystery I’ve found. Like the Wolverine one that I also really enjoyed, except for the last episode. Reveals are seldom well done.

Anyways - Having rekindled my love for listening to kindle (ha!) while commuting so I right now have tons of listening material, this is good to have queued up!

The BBC’s podcast series of Lovecraft adaptations is back! Their Shadow Over Innsmouth (which definitely took more liberties and developed its meta-plot more than the others) was three years ago.

The next chapter is The Haunter of the Dark.

Hey, The Haunter of the Dark! That’s the one with the Shining Trapezohedron! I always liked that one. Curious to hear what they do with it.

Pretty good season. They’re definitely doing their own thing with the stories now. Maybe a little too circuitous with the character references going back through every season. This is less about the source material and more about modern fascism in Britain and places that hover between time periods.

Pretty obvious clue at the end that the next chapter will be The Call of Cthulhu.

they put it out all at once? sweet.

I listened to this all the other day, and I have to say I liked it a lot. Having listened to the original story recently via the HPLHS audiobook of every HPL story, I feel like they did a pretty fun job of taking the original and bringing it to the modern age/podcast format- probably the best they’ve done since season 1, frankly. The writing was solid, and even though it was a lot of interviews with people explaining stuff, I felt like it avoided the ‘character in the know just doing an exposition dump’ than the last couple seasons. It was a lot of fun. And hey, anti-fascism is always a good thing.