The Cloverfield Paradox - The next Cloverfield movie on Netflix

I don’t think I’m giving away much in my answer to you, I was blurring it for anyone who wouldn’t even want your question answered at all.

But to be extra-vague, I would say the movie believes it’s explaining the first Cloverfield, but I disagree because the script is incompetent.

Ahh, OK. So how is John Goodman in this one? Awesome as always I expect?

This movie is duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuumb and I don’t like it.

Thanks for making me watch it, QT3.

You can’t be awesome and be in this movie.

Unless I missed something subtle, there are no direct ties between this and 10 Cloverfield Lane.

So John Goodman is playing a different character? How confusing!

Sure, let’s go with that. Really, you shouldn’t waste your time with this movie.

All right now those of you trying to talk me out of watching a movie should take a lesson from The A.V. Club - telling me it’s a C+ movie and basically going “Eh …” is going to poke a needle in my curiosity way better than telling me it’s the worst thing you’ve ever seen.

Usually the A.V. club goes gaga for anything John Goodman is in. That is very surprising.

Are “funny” curly haired stoner man’s partially digested remains in this movie?

Netflix throws so much stuff at the walls, it is not surprising some of it does not stick…

I’m surprised John Goodman took the role, if it wasn’t well-written. And even then you’d hope him to elevate it. A rare misstep by John Goodman.

Seriously, should have gotten someone like Michael Caine.

Is that some meme I’m not getting? Goodman is not in this movie.

I’m sure you are mistaken.

I really don’t think John Goodman is in this, as much as you might protest. But the brief camera shot that moved around the bomb shelter that the husband and little girl went to looked just like my memory of the shelter from 10 Cloverfield Lane. At least the kitchen did. And the entry shaft. I could be wrong.

From the way you guys are describing this movie, sounds like putting it on Netflix is the modern day equivalent of “straight to DVD”.

For this movie? Sure. It certainly feels that way. Of course, taking a movie that was already in production, then making the creative folks rejigger it for the Cloverfield brand is not the best strategy.

My impression was all that happened prior to Netflix picking it up. Netflix isn’t to blame for how bad this is, it just may have been poor judgement to pick it up.

But I think I just read that on Wikipedia, I may have gotten an incomplete picture of the production timeline.

This was poor. Like afternoon network television poor.

Lazy writing, weak characters and not enough John Goodman.

No, you’re correct. Bad Robot and Paramount picked this movie up when it was still God Particle and told the production that it was going to be turned into a Cloverfield joint. They literally changed the script while they started filming. Paramount then sold the movie to Netflix.