Well, this stuff has been brewing for years and it’s terrifying. We’re on the cusp of entering a world where you no longer will have any idea whether what you see online was created by a human or an AI. For that matter, it’s hard to know how media will spin, what “news” organizations will create to drive ratings, etc.
Similarly, this entire subreddit (posts and comments) is created by bots running the OpenAI GPT-2 model:
Here’s a subreddit that tries to collect some of the best safe-for-work deepfakes:
Some of this stuff is funny:
Some of it is racist:
Here you can generate your own text.
For example, I fed it text from this qt3 article:
Microsoft is relaunching the IntelliMouse as a gaming peripheral. When the first IntelliMouse appeared in 1996, PC users lauded its clean lines, ergonomics, and introduction of the scroll wheel. It quickly became the standard by which other mice were compared. In 1999, it became one of the first commercially available optical mice thanks to “IntelliEye” technology. Throughout the years, Microsoft has sold the venerable mouse to hardcore fans, but now they are offering a jazzy gaming version.
It completes the text…
In the first year, a total of 80 to 100 mice (approximately 40% of the industry) were purchased during the first quarter of this year from our dealers through our dealer online store“.“ We’ve also offered an Intellicon mouse designed for older games for the last 6 years.
“To date, we’ve sold a total of 400 different mice.“We want to emphasize that if you’re thinking “this is too pricey for me!”“,“ then this is a good opportunity to try IntelliMouse.“
We are very honored to announce that as part of our ongoing initiative to promote Intellimove, we will offer the entire IntelliMouse line, including the first IntelliMouse for older games for a discounted price.“
Here’s another example… I’ll feed it this recipe text:
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Grease and flour a Bundt pan.
- Cream 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter and 1 1/2 cups sugar until fluffy. Add eggs one at a time beating after each addition. Blend in the lemon peel.
- In a separate bowl, mix flour, salt, soda and baking powder. Add flour mixture alternately with buttermilk to creamed butter mixture. Add lemon extract and raisins.
- Bake at 325 degrees F (165 degrees C) for 50 minutes cool 5 minutes, then turn out onto serving plate. Prick hot cake with skewer or fork and pour on lemon topping.
- Combine 1/3 cup sugar, 1/3 cup butter and water in a saucepan and heat until butter melts. Add lemon juice . Spoon over hot cake.
And the continuation is:
Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C). Line a 9×9 pan with parchment paper. Place butter on parchment-lined baking pan, lined, then roll out all sides.
Bake 10 minutes, then flip to one side for second baking and allow to cool for 10 minutes to completely cool.
While the cakes are cooling, prepare filling. In a medium bowl you will combine 2/3 cup heavy whipping cream with 1 cup sugar.
Deepfakes are interesting and really just emerging into the territory of believable. It is going to be interesting to see how they are used and abused in coming month/years.