The Compleat Retro Shooter thread

Well HELLO there…

Another Cyberpunk-style FPS in the works, Turbo Overkill. The team describe it as retro, which outside of the obvious pixelated visuals I think is a bit of a stretch as it lots of stuff from contemporary shooters, but it looks like something I want to play. Coming “soon” to Steam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=varoEJiaxjo

I’ve been following the dev’s progress on the Unity powered Cultic for a while as its making a effort to recapture the dark horror ambience of Blood (1997). Doesn’t have a Steam page yet, but I imagine a boutique publisher will snap this project up.

Blade of Agony, an amazing total conversion that basically creates a new Return to Castle Wolfenstein-style experience on the Doom 2 engine, is receiving its final episode and a campaign overhaul on April 30.

That’s the Doom 2 engine? It looks nothing like it.

For sure, but it’s a project benefiting from a quarter century of community support and modifications. There’s no way someone could’ve pulled off a similar project back in 1994.

After six years of work, the super ambitious Doom 2 total conversion Blade of Agony is finally done! If you enjoyed Return to Castle Wolfenstein back in the day, then you owe it to yourself to check this out, as it’s an a love letter to that classic. Best of all it’s completely standalone. No need to fuss around with any original files, or fiddling with folder merging and source ports - just download and play!

Nice, thanks for the heads up!

7 posts were merged into an existing topic: Graven: an indie Ultima Underworld that…doesn’t go anywhere?

A new challenger enters the ring!

???

Crap, the link isn’t showing up:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1156120/DOOMBRINGER/

Also Hedon 2!

A shame because the trailer looks like a very competent Q3 mod.

I hope my uploaded consciousness will enjoy Selaco when it releases.

https://youtu.be/varoEJiaxjo

LOL @ Beyond Sunset. I love that their first look at the gameplay is a series of jumping puzzle environment. I guess iD software figured out that despite people making fun of jumping puzzles in first person shooters, people really miss it. And they’re right. Good on Beyond Sunset for realizing that too.

The rest of that trailer reminds me of Shogo-era graphics and gameplay. Well, the graphics look better than Shogo for sure, but the city in general kind of reminds me a of a higher fidelity Shogo on-foot area.

Turbo Overkill: Once again, looks like great jumping traversal inspired by Titanfall parkour and Doom 2016. I love the auto lock hooks that come out of the pistols, the shotgun looks meaty, the chaingun looks awesome, and if they have a nice heft to the physics, I think I’d love the leg blades.

Edit: Oops, I’d missed that trailer when @MrTibbs posted that upthread in April.

I missed Turbo Overkill the first time around, so glad I’m not the only one. Physics look a bit floaty but I’m 100% on board with the pistol things (maybe they’re 0% reality tasers?), and I laughed in a good way at the cyber leg chainsaws and the robot hand/arm rocket launcher - I mean that’s the cyberpunk high fantasy ridiculous augmentations I want to be seeing.

Also, I didn’t see it mentioned but Prodeus is on GamePass (Game Preview = Early Access?)

Ok, you got me to install the Game Pass version last night.

It’s pretty good. The weapons have a real oomph to them that Necromundo didn’t have. The visuals are doing something weird to be looking great one second, but looking very pixelated the next second. My brain seems to be throwing all kinds of objections in my head saying “this doesn’t look right. What is going on?” just during the normal run of play.

No real interesting enemies or level design yet though. I did eventually die on hard difficulty when killing two of those brain things meant I was ignoring all other enemies for a while, who got my health almost down to zero. And then in the next big battle where there were a ton of enemies someone got me.

I guess my final verdict is that it could be fun, but I’m not sure yet. I was really annoyed that I couldn’t find a way to exit the game, and there’s no way to save the game. After I died I hit Alt+F4 in frustration and was really surprised that worked. I had expected the game to lock me inside and never let me go for some reason.

As I type this out, I’m realizing I didn’t really have a good time yet.

esc esc esc esc

Saves are done at checkpoint gems, arguably the weakest point of Prodeus’s design

Everything else about Prodeus is damn near perfect, as long as one is blissfully happy with Brutal Doom being recreated with a 21st Century engine

I wasn’t happy that there were weapon reloads.