The Compleat Retro Shooter thread

Those are… problematic for some folks, and I can understand why, though they don’t bother me that much. I believe they’re gonna be gone when Prodeus finally “releases”.

Hmmm, I have to admit, I didn’t try this. I’ll give it one more shot I guess. I just used the Start button to go into the menu, and there were no options to even quit to the menu in the actual menu.

Staring again, it looks like there’s no saved game from checkpoints. (The only saved game is at 0% progress). So I started a new game on Very Hard this time.

And Esc Esc Esc Esc just goes to the menu, then backs out of the menu, then goes to the menu, then backs out of the menu.

I guess I’ll try going to the main menu. Nope, going to the main menu is only an option in the main menu. Once I start the game, the main menu option in the menu is gone.

So I guess Alt F4 is the only way to exit the game, and it there’s no way to continue a saved game?

Oh well, I had more fun today on Very Hard. I died earlier though, and continued from a Checkpoint before Alt-F4’d out of there.

EDIT: Oh yes, forgot to mention it, but I tied Keyboard and Mouse today. One weird thing they do with the controller is that every single shot with the pistol and shotgun and punches has a LOT of force-feedback on the controller. This is fine, it adds a lot of oomph to the weapons, but there’s a reason most games don’t do this. That’s right, because your hands get tired really fast. So anyway, obviously there’s no feedback like that on the mouse, so the weapons didn’t feel as powerful, but my hand also didn’t get tired, so it was a mixed bag.

I played the ‘prologue’, the first level and reached the second level in Prodeus. Then on the next day when I pressed ‘continue local save’ the game started again from zero. I don’t understand.

How did you quit out? Is there an option to quit the game if you finish the first level?

LOL I can’t remember.

On the Mario 64 part of the game (the level select) you press esc and there’s a save and quit option.

You guys are letting a kinda non standard UI work you over like a school bully :)

Just a reminder as we wait for the Next Big Retro Thing - UT2004 is still the greatest goddamn MP shooter ever created (and the best goddamn bot shooter, too), and it works flawlessly in Windows 10. It works even more flawlessly if you apply a patch for modern resolutions.

And it’s been almost 20 years since it was released but I think I actually heard the “wicked sick” kill streak indication for the first time today :)

Ohh nice find, gonna have to try that.

Finally got to play Blade of Agony and damn it’s good.

Well this looks lovely.

Excellent find, Brian. The team they’ve assembled is packed with top-tier FPS talent. Immediately added to my wish list.

It started like a megawad for Doom, but later it got transformed in its own game

There is a Steam sale going on of retros shooters

I think tomorrow they will have the stream of Realms Deep. Expect new stuff then.

Yeah I’m probably gonna pick a few up.

I want Selaco, Trepang2… and for Prodeus to get finished.

Lots of stuff appearing on Steam ahead of the event:

I played the Cultic demo. The level theme is nothing to write home about, but as a starting level for the game is good enough. There are a pair of paths to choose in some places, interesting secrets, some cool sequences like the zombies falling from the ceiling with the traps. The weapons feel good, the enemies still have to improve (some of the seemed stuck to the ground!). I don’t particularly like the whole super retro look, with reduced color palette, dithering, and all that, I consider it ‘nostalgia bait’.

Collection of videos
https://www.realmsdeep.game/vault/

Stream
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQVchAoOzEU

Demo for Age of Hell

Selaco video

Ok, comments (part I)

My interest in Prodeus is still low.
I already commented in Cultic, it’s good.
Kult could be good, I like the theme at least, although the real gameplay snippets were too short to judge.
Peripetea ui looks… Deus Ex as fuck. Then again that’s the clear intention. But I don’t fully trust them, as immersive sims are not an appropriate genre for super small teams.
Warcry looks very time trial based, which isn’t my thing. And I don’t like that blood splatter.
Ripout has an interesting dark scifi aesthetic. It’s a 4coop game. RIPOUT on Steam
I trust Ultrakill’s overwhelming positive steam reviews, although I don’t care for scores in games. I’m waiting until it’s out of EA.