The Countdown is over! Dragon Age: Origins released (Spoiler Free Discussion)

I have to admit, Angie, I haven’t gotten to play with the character creator yet, so when I first saw your character and saw the little bit of hair on the bridge of her nose I thought she was wearing glasses. I was disappointed when I realized she wasn’t.

That’s why Power Girl’s got such a big rack!

I’ve spent the past two hours playing the “damnit Bioware, why is my Steam DLC content not working!” game…

…it’s not been fun.

Question: Quite often, one of my characters will have a “set bonus” buff because they’re wearing matching armor. The tooltip says that wearing matching armor is giving my character a set bonus. Yay! But uh… what exactly is the bonus? +1 to armor? Stamina regeneration? A pleasant scent of lilac? There doesn’t seem to be any place to actually see what the bonus is. Or am I just missing it?

(this is on the PC version, by the way)

Take off one of the pieces of armor and note the difference in stats. :)

-Tom

I went with a sword-and-board warrior type, but all the chatter here about there being a plethora of npc warriors is giving me buyer’s remorse. Only played until I got to the king’s camp so far. Been obsessing over why the DLC doesn’t work for me.

Yay, my “Collector’s Edition” arrived from Amazon today. Installing tonight. Pretty tiny cloth map was my first impression.

I think the moon was waxing gibbous when I preordered it, do I get the Ring of Dorkulus, or is it based on the where the tide is in Halifax when it arrived?

I am saddened that I can’t bash chests open.

Yep, basically if you aren’t a rogue yourself you can pretty much kiss all of the loot in the first few dungeon goodbye since you won’t be able to open them.

out of 2 rogues in the game, only one of them knows lock picking and I ran into a few lvl 4 skill chest even at early game.

Anyone have spoiler-less thoughts concerning the origin stories?

The Dwarven Caste-less origin is amusing. I felt full of justifiable rage at my sorry lot in life…

So today I picked up this game and came down with the flu. Guess it isn’t the worst time to get sick…

So is this game good or what?

I still have Risen to finish, as well as Torchlight and Dead Space, but I was wondering.

Haha…yes we must all fear Kincaid the Black and his +1 Sword of The Monkey Curse…

So I wanna make an arcane warrior but have no idea how. Anyone have some pointers? References would be nice too. Aw hell, maybe I should just buy the damn strategy guide.

Here’s a wiki. Maybe that will help. I haven’t browsed it yet myself, so I don’t know.

This is what happens when you end a fight by casting fireball:

Summary of wiki:

-you don’t need str as your magic stat mostly replaces it for equiping gear and as a strength mod for weapons.
-don’t need cunning probably
-need magic first priority as it is your str, but also con (to live) and willpower (mana since all of your spells will cost more due to wearing armor and even more due to having combat magic up).
-you get bonuses to pretty much all warrior stats from having your combat magic buff activated (which also gives you 50 fatigue).
-you probably still need some dexterity for hitting stuff, although you get straight bonuses from your talented self buff too i believe.
-you end up getting avoidance and mana regen passively at the end of the skill line. This likely helps with your spells costing more.
-no physical attack abilities

p.s. morgann is pretty… hot in that picture.

Just finished the human noble warrior origin, and absolutely…loved it! Truth be told ,the controls on the 360 are a little rough in big battles with multiple bad guys-it’s just not very easy to pause, switch characters, select a skill, and then individually target an enemy. In particular, I wish the targeting interface was a bit more…sticky-giving you the option to lock target or something, so you could more readily see when you were changing targets. I do think that effective use of talents is going to be an extremely necessary skill to master in the console versions.

So, I had so much fun starting my dual wield warrior, and at the same time I am sorely tempted to start over with a mage origin just so I can see what a mage plays like. And yes, this is pretty much exactly how I ADD and indecisive I am when it comes to role playing games. Oh well, an extra couple hours spent now to figure things out is better than being 10 hours in and changing my mind.

What a fun game so far; wonderful voice acting, story, presentation, and satisfying combat!

So can we talk about party makeups? I won’t give names to avoid spoilers, but so far my group consists of two mages (me being one) and two fighters and I’m really enjoying it. I am sure I am missing out on looting chests, but chests don’t win battles.

you miss out some nice loot though, and nice loots win battles.

I’m running 2 mages 1 warrior 1 rogue. pretty decent, I got some nice aoe with Earthquake + inferno.

Just finished the human noble warrior origin, and absolutely…loved it! Truth be told ,the controls on the 360 are a little rough in big battles with multiple bad guys-it’s just not very easy to pause, switch characters, select a skill, and then individually target an enemy. In particular, I wish the targeting interface was a bit more…sticky-giving you the option to lock target or something, so you could more readily see when you were changing targets. I do think that effective use of talents is going to be an extremely necessary skill to master in the console versions.

big downer for 360, unable to move multiple character at same time, which mean it’s hard to setup friendly fire spells.

I was considering Arcane warrior, then I realized I probably end up as a gimpy warrior/mage, I already do plenty of damage just shooting thing with staff, you don’t do more damage with melee, but you end up having shitty spells because you won’t get any more +magic or spell bonus from wearing all the mages armor and staff.

According to the difficulty slider, friendly fire is off on normal setting. (It’s definitely off on “casual.”)