The Dark Mod, released

Whether you’re making any money off it or not doesn’t effect the fact it’s an copyright violation. Mod people do it all the time, of course - I’m highly enjoying the Mediaval II: Third Age mod right now, complete with assets from all the films - but it does risk a cease and desist at any point.

EDIT: Of course, someone else totally separately doing a mod on their mod which swaps the voices in illicitly would be the usual way around it.

KG

I can run it fine with standard ambient rendering, with my mighty ati 4890.

Of course, the same ATI doesn’t work with the bloom enabled (it’s broken for ati cards, it seems, surely a driver issue).

Oh I see, it’s the combination of bloom and standard ambient rendering that causes the slowdown for me. If I disable the former I can set the latter without any problems.

Talk about your perfect game engine for the concept.

Agree, just thinking that this was the game that the Doom 3 engine should have been meant for.

Having tried to play through the training missions, it’s apparent this one might have been created by guys who are a little too hard-core Garretts.

Maybe you’re just a softcore taffer.

Oh, bummer :(. Not only for now there are only 3 missions, they are very short.

But after playing 2 missions, it’s not as hard as i feared.

I’m very impressed the guys stuck it out… I hope that the Thief fan community adopts it and we see some good mods. However I’m slightly worried that the base of fan mission creators is going to be limited to a small group of extremely hardcore guys making maps for themeselves.

Anyway, here’s hoping Doom 3 goes open source (the way some of id’s previous engines have) and the team are able to make even more substantial alterations.

RPS about TDM.

Wow, I never thought I’d see this mod finished. Kudos to the team.

Now, if only I hadn’t given away my copy of Doom 3 long ago, thinking “I’ll never play that piece of shit again” after I finished it. Or if I’d bought it on Steam on one of those id software sales they had. (I bought the quake pack thinking “Doom 3? I’ll never play that piece of shit again”).

Imo, they “cheated” a bit to finish the mod. I followed it since three years ago, and it wasn’t until the last year when they began to say the mod was a only a toolset to make new fan missions, so it doesn’t come with a proper set of missions made by them.

But the mod isn’t “finished,” is it? Always bugs me when a long-awaited game or mod is finally released, and it’s a beta or demo or has limited content. Totally selfish of me because I know that’s a lot of hard work, but the real problem is half the time amateur developers put something out and it never goes anywhere from there. Compare that to The Nameless Mod.

Hope that doesn’t happen to this mod. I’m probably just sensitive because I’ve played a lot of freeware games lately, and those kids sadly abandon a lot of brilliant games for the next exciting idea they have.

Okay, Naeblis beat me. He’s like my foreign alter-ego.

Well, there is already a dozen of missions done by the fans, apart of the initial 3 mission pack.

http://modetwo.net/darkmod/wiki/index.php?title=Fan_Missions_for_The_Dark_Mod

By the way, the mod is already at 1.01 version, they released the new version some weeks ago http://www.thedarkmod.com/

They were saying that the mod would only be a-template-for-other-modders-to-create-missions-with since 2005. It’s 2010.

And the concept worked, there are already missions done within a few weeks.

Anyway, I really wish I still had my copy of Doom 3 installed. Actually I don’t at all, but you know what I mean.

Then i was not well informed, my apologies.

1.02 update out.

There are some new missions done in the last month, also.

How are these missions? I’m very interested in this.

Is there a list of the “best” missions to get?

Its been a while and I’m also curious if the missions are worth digging out Doom3 for. Anyone give them a go? Are they more of a novelty, or do they measure up and feel like a proper game?

Now that there is a bit of re-interest for stealth games, I will post this.

New version for Dark Mod, 1.08.
http://www.thedarkmod.com/posts/tdm-1-08-is-finally-here/

Summary

Richer audio: TDM 1.08 should provide a much more immersive sound experience. We’ve added over 200 new impact sounds, as well as two new vocal sets. Many things that used to be silent now make appropriate noises. Falling bodies now make impact sounds, arrows have sound as they whiz past you, and AI make rustling noises as they move based on what they’re wearing.

AI Improvements: The lightning-fast reactions of AI have been toned down, so that they don’t leap immediately to combat after a half-second glimpse of you down the street. AI now react to things getting thrown at them, and can be knocked out by heavy things
being dropped on their head. AI are smarter about using elevators and will use them while searching now. Several new AI character models have been added, including the Builder Acolyte and the Elite Citywatch.

Additionally: The Training Mission has been revamped by Bikerdude for 1.08, with a few new sections and beautiful improvements to the visuals. The team’s second demo mission, The Tears of St. Lucia, has also been updated for 1.08 and is now included with the mod by default.

Remember to download missions here, even only looking from 2011 onwards, there are 25 missions to try out
http://www.thedarkmod.com/missions/