The Day Before - The Division + Zombies

An engine shift, and only a single year delay? Wut?

The hot question: Is this a real game at all?

I don’t see a payoff if the game wasn’t real. It’s not like they did crowdfunding or sold cosmetic in-game items prior to launch. It hasn’t been listed for pre-sale anywhere, so no money has changed hands. There is literally no profit path if the whole thing is some kind of elaborate scam.

More likely the video above is correct, and the original “gameplay” trailers were simply scripted vertical slice set pieces designed as concept videos or cut scenes, and the actual gameplay on the new engine is quite a bit less impressive (Kardashian physics on those pants excluded). The game is most likely real, most likely nowhere near ready for release, and when it is available, will most likely not live up to the early trailers no matter how good it might be. The whole thing seems like marketing writing checks that programming can’t cash…and the delays and disappointments that follow are a tale as old as time in the game industry.

So… more Tarkov, less Division I guess.

Lol

edit: there is a bug can kill you in the literal first second of real gameplay

Hahaha. Someone posted a list of all the asset flips they found in the game on Reddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheDayBefore/comments/18ee3t9/i_present_to_you_the_asset_flip_file_dump/

The Day Before developer FNTASTIC is shutting down.

The game has been out 4 days, lol.

giphy

There’s got to be one hell of a story here. I mean, what did they expect was going to happen?

“FNTASTIC”

Hahahahaha

Holy shit, that didn’t take long.

Nice of them to list games they created which I will do everything in my power to NEVER purchase or even try for free.

I hope that actual journalists investigate this story and what happened behind the scenes. I have no personal dog in this fight, but I would like to see a more nuanced look at this game beyond kneejerk reactions calling it a fake game or scam. This is a studio that has put out several games before over a not-insignificant number of years. I had friends that played The Wild Eight incessantly years ago.

This feels less like a WarZ/Infestation: Survivor Stories style scam where a studio pumps out the same low-effort, assets-bought-from-Unreal-marketplace game on the market under new names and studio identities and more that ambition, market trends, and feature creep got in the way of making a good game.

Considering that like 7,000 game developers lost their jobs this year so far. I’m not too keen on immediately jumping to scam labeling. That’s just me.

They worked tirelessly for five years on an asset flip.

OK.

I can understand putting sweat and tears into the project, but blood? Did they sacrifice someone?

There has to be more to this story. No way does a studio fold four days after the release of a game they spent five years developing unless they expected things to get worse, not better.

Yeah, I’m not thinking scam, I’m thinking “ran out of money and nobody who looked at what they had wanted to give them any more, so they dropped it on Steam as a hail Mary attempt to keep going.”

What kind of horrific business planning would otherwise lead to a company shutting down 5 days after the game’s release due to it not meeting sales expectations? It reached top selling the day of its release so guessing there was a really high refund rate.

Unfortunately there are only five people in the world who still fit this job description and they are all busy on real world events. Games media are happy to offer you an alternative of 200 listicles about why the game sucked and summaries of X posts that make fun of the game.