The decline of Facebook and the chilling effect of social media

(deleted) -------------------------------------------_______

I say burn it down, let it serve as an object lesson in effigy to other companies that think they can spend users’ private data like currency. But I deleted my account five or so years back, I guess I have no skin in the game.

Facebook is mostly just people standing in a circle facing away from one another and shouting at the walls. Everyone wants to be heard, but no one wants to listen.

I only really use it to play Bejweled Blitz with my wife once a day in the mornings. :)

I think people will have forgotten about the whole thing inside a month. Maybe two or three tops. Facebook hasn’t been successful because their tech is good, they’re good stewards and positive societal actors, or it’s valuable to humanity, because none of those things are remotely true. They are successful because they have been very aggressive at getting people involved and now have enormous critical mass.

Hopefully they won’t.

Is there actual evidence of this? My many years of experience with MMOs causes me to have great skepticism about “omg u idots haev lost a sub”-type expressions :)

Beats me, I’ve never had a real facebook account.

I do keep a fake one to login to apps and such, but it has no personally identifiable information and I block all trackers on the web. I believe I’m listed as a Dairy Professional, which sounds vaguely sinister in a lactic sort of way. Like Léon, with a milk mustache.

Less sinister than Dairy Amateur. That really sends a shiver up your spine.

Dairy auteur.

Dairy dabbler.

Dairy indie.

Let’s milk the cheesy joke a little bit more, please. :)

https://i.imgur.com/AibkFW3.gif

IDK how much good salting the earth would do, but can we, like, magnetize all their platters and shock their silicon as a lesson to all who would follow down this thrice-accursed path.

I’m not super convinced Facebook is actually in decline in any meaningful way other than stock price, though.

As much as I believe Facebook is quasi-evil, because they are – the only thing Facebook cares about is Facebook … they were very smart to buy Whatsapp and Instagram, which the kids are fucking obsessed with. So even if Facebook declines, it doesn’t matter, because I guarantee that Whatsapp and Instagram will never be in decline over the next decade. No way.

Facebook is double edged, like all good things in life. Salting the earth… would just make salty dirt.

Whatsapp is huge, but it’s not well-monetized. Not sure how they make money on it. Instagram was an amazingly prescient purchase, though.

Is Twitter still not making money? .

Twitter reported its first profitable quarter just last month, in fact. Destroying the world has gone well for them.

You do yourself a disservice by using Facebook.

Libera te tuteme ex inferis.

If you watched today’s CA Facebook testimony you wouldn’t think that’s true anymore. They were hitting positive result clickthroughs for political ads which normal advertisers could only ever dream of. The people were listening, watching, interacting, and changing their voting behavior.

I could totally delete Facebook right now except for the fact that I need to to communicate with my cohort in regards to school related stuff. All of the shit that it is coming out about it is making me seriously depressed though about the state of social media.