The decline to moral bankruptcy of the GOP

This is the lesson of 2016.

I was going to say but that’s a Chief Justice so how bad… but then I realized it’s THAT justice, the one that was removed for being a bible fanatic who defies the federal court.

Yeah, that guy.

He’s a monster and should not be allowed anywhere near pencil and paper ever again. He shouldn’t be allowed near dirt, actually, since he may be able to write something akin to legislation and bake the dirt into clay tablets and someone may accidentally deliver the baked dirt near a courthouse, perhaps thinking that it is sod or fertilizer.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/politics/wp/2017/08/06/flake-extends-his-attacks-on-trump-and-the-gop-all-the-way-back-to-the-dawn-of-birtherism/?hpid=hp_hp-top-table-main_flake-6pm%3Ahomepage%2Fstory&utm_term=.e9099aaad3ce

Flake took his assault on Trumpism back years further — all the way to the pre-dawn of Trump’s political rise, to “when the birtherism thing was going on,” as Flake put it to host Chuck Todd.

“Some people did stand up, but not enough,” the senator said. “That was particularly ugly.”

“Did you do enough?” Todd asked.

Flake smiled. “On that, I think I did.”

Flake didn’t mention that one of the justices he voted to confirm was John Bush. Years earlier, as NPR noted, Bush had written blog posts about Obama’s ancestry in Kenya, quoting liberally from sites that peddled some of the first birther conspiracy theories.

I guess “enough” is saying something way later but never doing anything of substance at the time. Seems about right for the modern GOP.

This guy is releasing a book. He hasn’t done much at all to try and stop Trump or his fellow GOP members. If you vote with them, it’s a toothless bark.

So far, though, does it mean much to ‘vote with Trump’? I mean apart from executive orders, I got the sense that the congressional GOP is the one leading the agenda. Take repeal/replace of ACA – Trump couldn’t give a shit one way or the other.

Where I hope Flake and others in the GOP show spine is in refusing to stand for a Mueller firing, in pushing to protect us from further Russian election meddling, and drawing up articles of impeachment if a legitimate case emerges – that sort of thing.

Their agenda is still awful. They’re not going to become liberals all of a sudden. And a President Pence would in some ways probably be worse than Trump, because more competent/less dramatic – but still worth it, because of the reduced downside and harm to our core institutions.

Yeah, in reality, there hasn’t been any real opportunity to “vote with trump”. He has put forth no real legislative agenda.

In reality, the Senate has essentially voted against Trump despite being controlled by the GOP. They didn’t support his idiot wall idea. They voted to limit his ability to remove Russian sanctions. They refused to go into recess so he can’t appoint a new AG.

Trump likes winning. That means when he puts something out he wants it to pass, whether it’s good or not. If they keep helping him win, they’re not putting him in check at all.

I mean I do get your point, but until that man votes what he says and he says more without a book hitting the shelves, I simply just believe he wants headlines to sell more books and means for no change to occur.

Flake was on Meet the Press, and he pointed out that for the few months the Senate is basically a personal department, confirming judges, cabinet, and associated officials. The few other pieces of legislation that came before the senate were a a couple of pieces on rolling back regulation which Flake and other conservatives would be generally supportive of.

Judge Bush barely made the news, but upon examination it is fair to criticize Flake for voting for the confirmation after seeing his blog posts.

He criticized Trump for the birther issue and wasn’t one of the people he voted in as an appointee also a birther oh yes, yes he is…

lets find him, please hold.

William C. Bradford

With awesome Social Media that includes quotes like these:

“I think Obama was given his mission in Tehran long ago, and it suits him just fine. How else can a Kenyan creampuff get ahead,

So let’s see. Flake wants decurom to return, he thinks his GOP group should have nipped the birther nonsense in the bud and what does he do when someone shows up with horrible decurom and is a birther… absolutely nothing. A whole lot of hand-wringing in the GOP, per usual.

Over 50% of repubs polled should be locked up then, got it.

They’re the Real Patriots and Real America… which is a dictatorship where they let you keep your guns apparently.

I think the Atlantic or the WaPo pointed out how it’s actually not just the GOP who has voters slipping towards authoritarianism.

In 2016, an equally frightening percentage of democrats (higher actually… I think it was in the 60’s) said they thought it would be fine for Obama to just stay president.

Neither party has a monopoly on idiots.

Stayed president is slightly different from suspended elections. Third term Obama would be way better then 1 term of that Orange monster. Hell FDR did more then 2 terms, which is why the rule was established.

Anyway, GOP might not have a monopoly, but they certain have control of the market.

I certainly concur with this belief.

I mean, I am technically a registered democrat now, although I still don’t really identify with them ideologically.

C’mon, @Timex. . .

https://twitter.com/PubicDefender/status/895778016328069121

Oh, my parents flat out say that I’m a crazy liberal traitor now.
Cause that’s totally me. I’m hard core liberal.

That’s a pretty weak piece of bothsidesdoitism. Even if you support term limits, they’re far from being a bedrock foundational democratic norm on the level of, y’know, holding elections at all.

“Would you prefer a third Obama term over both current candidates?” is a much weaker question than “Would you support an effort to repeal the 22nd amendment to let Obama run for a third term?”, which in turn is much weaker than “Would you support Obama suspending the election and staying president?” I would bet heavily that you would see a strong dropoff in Democratic support as you progressed along that continuum.

We’ll get you yet!

On a completely unrelated note, have you had any whole grain or certified organic products in the last 6 hours? If so, please read the following sentence. If not, ignore it.

LIBERALISM IS THE PATH TO TRUTH. RESISTANCE TO LIBERALISM IS FAILURE. LET YOUR RESISTANCE SLIP AWAY. EMBRACE THE LEFT.