The decline to moral bankruptcy of the GOP

An interesting counterpoint though:

(Be like if Pelosi retired, in that regard.)

I don’t think such attacks on GOP members were ever that effective compared to the ones against folks supporting Pelosi.

So the main question a lot of folks would ask here is “Why?”

It probably isn’t because of his re-election prospects. Even though that Iron Stache guy is raising a lot of money, Ryan was likely to beat him, although in a closer race than the Speaker has had in that district in a loooong while, if ever.

But I think the main thing here is that Ryan is seeing the handwriting on the wall regarding two things:

1. The Republican House is split badly against itself, and he’s tired of fighting off the HFC, who may take control of the House leadership (whether that’s as a majority or minority party.)

2. He may be seeing the fallout from a very bad set of circumstances from the midterms coming up, and doesn’t want to be part of that fallout.

Maybe he sees that he can’t do what’s right for the country without pissing off the GOP base, and this is the first step in his opposing Trump.

HAHAHA jk.

What’s funny/sad for Ryan is that he finally, FINALLY got his big tax cut…and then within months a budget spending bill seems headed for imminent passage that will boost the deficit by a trillion in a year.

It’s like he finally won the lottery, and then just found out that they’re going to pay him in rocks.

Then again, maybe ol’ Iron Stache does have a chance.

Yowza.

FYI if it matters: Ryan’s office has officially confirmed reports that he won’t run in November now.

Ryan press conference coming at 10am EDT. Will likely make his formal announce.

He’s like the guy who saw the price of a ticket on the Titanic and decided to save a few bucks and take a standard fare.

…and then da f@#$ did i just read from magnet?

Perhaps, but I don’t think Paul Ryan ever did or could generate enough angst to motivate opposition voters. 2018 is all about Trump and the Republican direction as a whole. While individual races will center around individual issues, painting Ryan as a Pelosi-esque boogeyman probably isn’t a winning strategy for races around the US.

It isn’t for Democrats, but for potential GOP candidates who might primary sitting candidates, (the HFC/Mark Meadows wing of the party) that’s absolutely a winning strategy. Those folks hate Paul Ryan more than they hate Pelosi.

Gotcha. Yeah, it may impact the approach for the ultra-conservatives in their primaries.

I think the writing Ryan saw on the wall was about supply and demand.

If he didn’t get in line for wingnut welfare right this minute, all the good lobbyist, think tank, talking head etc. slots for Republicans would be gone, possibly for many years. The supply of Republicans looking for such jobs has increased dramatically due to retirements and resignation. Meanwhile the demand for former Never Trumpers who bent the knee like Ryan is evaporating - he’s close enough to the Trump administration to be tainted by association with it, but not close enough to actually influence it. Donnie hates his guts.

His brand, such as it is, is never going to be worth more than it is now, even if the GOP were to stay in the majority. Better to pull a Boehner.

So you’re saying that Paul Nehlen has a shot!

I don’t think so. A former Speaker will always be in demand as a media talking head or as a star client recruiter for K Street law firm. He would move right up past those who already had, or thought they had, such slots.

I dunno, you don’t really see Boehner on TV… ever. Gingrich you see rarely, but for a long time you didn’t.

I think there’s some stigma of failure associated with no longer being speaker when you used to be.

And Taniel notes this:

https://twitter.com/Taniel/status/984066642631159813