The decline to moral bankruptcy of the GOP

Fuck this made me laugh.

Don’t forget gold/silver coins, he seems like the type.

You know someone in that group’s got some sweet nazi gold.

A small reversal http://money.cnn.com/2017/07/21/media/sean-hannity-buckley-award/

same.

My suggestion- buy guns and get good at aiming. I don’t think we’re at that stage yet, but we’re close, and we’ll know exactly how close 18 months from now.

“Payable six months after a peace treaty is signed with the United States.” There’s still hope!

The problem with electing senators, from the GOP view, is that you can’t gerrymander the whole state, so they have to play on an even field, which is why the senate GOP/Dem distribution is closer to reality than the house and especially than the state legislatures. If those gerrymandered legislatures get to choose the senators, then we end up with 70+ GOP senators. That’d be pitchfork time in my book.

It’s not easy to amend the Constitution. I think they would have trouble pushing this through.

Here’s a cut and paste of what it takes:

Path 1:
o Step 1: Two-thirds of both houses of Congress pass a proposed constitutional
amendment. This sends the proposed amendment to the states for ratification.

o Step 2: Three-fourths of the states (38 states) ratify the proposed amendment,
either by their legislatures or special ratifying conventions.

 Path 2:
o Step 1: Two-thirds of state legislatures (34 states) ask for Congress to call “a
convention for proposing amendments.”

o Step 2: States send delegates to this convention, where they can propose
amendments to the Constitution.

o Step 3: Three-fourths of the states (38 states) ratify an amendment approved by
the “convention for proposing amendments,” either by their legislatures or special
ratifying conventions.

Either way you need 3/4ths of the states, either through a direct vote or through the state reps voting at a constitutional convention. There are enough sane states to block it, I think. I guess you’d need 38 states to ratify it. The Republicans are close – they control 33 state legislatures.

Ditto.

Some of the remaining 17 states are held by Republicans, including North Carolina- where it almost passed this year- the extreme right-wing nutters blocked it.

Yep, the gerrymandering makes so many state legislatures highly skewed at the moment, which could lead to constitutional changes prior to the next census/redistricting. Which would be horrific.

If this happens secession would almost be guaranteed to be attempted afterwards. California and the other blue states would probably find this to be the last straw/

I was pretty surprised to see this article from Ben Shapiro formerly of Breitbart, and now running the the Dailywire.

Ann Coulter, who I think has mostly broken with Trump, has a column on the Wire.

More and More Trump Supporters Celebrate His Character Flaws

During the campaign, conservatives said they were embracing Donald Trump despite his character. They were willing to overlook his flaws in order to achieve policy victories. Yes, he was a vulgar boor, a charlatan, a comic buffoon wandering the landscape, stepping on political land mines. But at least he would appoint the right people. Even if he didn’t, he would never be Hillary Clinton.

his was true for probably the majority of conservatives who voted for Trump: They weren’t fans of his p-word comments, but they’d rather have an imperfect Trump than a Clinton. Trump’s character represented a bug, not a feature. But for a minority of conservatives, Trump’s character was always a feature, not a bug. He fought, and even if he didn’t fight smart, he was willing to hit anyone with a glass vase at any time. He was an unpredictable force, a brutal hurricane tearing apart the old political institutions. For this group, Trump’s character recommended him rather than counted against him…

But for a minority of conservatives, Trump’s character was always a feature, not a bug. He fought, and even if he didn’t fight smart, he was willing to hit anyone with a glass vase at any time. …
That’s not to say that Trump might not end up fulfilling some of these promises. I hope and pray he does. But it’s clear that the vast majority of Republicans no longer care if he does, so long as he does one thing: keep tweeting about the fake-news media. Were Trump to fulfill every conservative pledge but stop tweeting about Mika Brzezinski’s face and CNN’s ratings, many Republicans would be less enamored of him. Trump’s visceral rage is what thrills Republicans, not his policy — and a huge number of Republicans aren’t even interested in whether the rage undercuts his policy. If Mike Pence replaced Donald Trump and implemented every jot and tittle of the conservative program, then won reelection, most Republicans would be enraged, not excited. Trump’s character is now a thoroughly accepted positive good.

To me, the best two recent example of this descent into darkness, are the Nevada GOP committee chairwoman who retweeted the Tweet about hoping McCain dies and Kelli Ward, former McCain and current opponent of Sen. Flake, who called on McCain to resign and the AZ governor to appoint her.

Generally, the most polite group in society are middle-aged women. I’d argue the middle-aged female politician are even more polite. (e…g Senator Susan Collins, and Olympia Snowe) The Republican party is truly lost when even their middle-age politicians start behaving like drunken frat boys.

Hearing that Coulter has broken with Trump actually makes me like Trump more…

It’s like Hitler and Stalin. They were both monsters even when fighting each other.

So we use Coulter to defeat Trump and then remind her we have nukes and she doesn’t afterwards?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/powerpost/republicans-are-in-full-control-of-government--but-losing-control-of-their-party/2017/07/23/b1ab6bbc-6d92-11e7-9c15-177740635e83_story.html

Six months after seizing complete control of the federal government, the Republican Party stands divided as ever — plunged into a messy war among its factions that has escalated in recent weeks to crisis levels.
[…]
Amid the discord, there are some signs of collaboration. The Republican National Committee has worked to build ties to Trump and his family. In recent weeks, Trump’s son Eric, his wife, Lara, and RNC chairwoman Ronna Romney McDaniel, among other committee officials, met at the Trump International Hotel in Washington to discuss upcoming races and strategy.

That meeting followed a similar gathering weeks earlier at the RNC where Trump family members were welcomed to share their suggestions, according two people familiar with the sessions who were not authorized to speak publicly.

Yet the friction keeps building. Among Trump’s defenders, such as VanderSloot, who said the president is “trying to move the ball forward,” there are concerns he is picking too many fights with too many people. “I think he’s trying to swat too many flies,” VanderSloot said.

I’m on the phone with Mike Conaway in a ‘town hall’. Doesn’t look like i’m going to get picked to talk.

The Trump voter is every stereotype you can imagine.

“Why can’t I retire early, i’ve been paying into social security for 50 years”
“Do you think the Deep State is being run by Obama to undermine President Trump?”
“We need a business man running the country, i have paid 30k dollars in taxes this year, and what do i have to show for it?”
“This Russia thing is stupid, why are they paying attention to this? Who is distracting from his agenda?”
“I’m 100% on board with Donald Trump”
“Obama was the worst thing that’s ever happened to this country.”

Also, he was asked by a woman not to throw the baby out with the bathwater. He responded, pretty honestly, that all the Republicans campaigned on repealing “Obamacare” and so they are stuck having to repeal it.

Of course if Killary had been elected and these allegations were about her, the narrative would be to try her for treason and execute her.

She’s already guilty, no reason to try her for anything. I think they’d just grab their guns and hit the streets.