The Elder Scrolls Online

All solo. My playstyle is really unreliable for group play small or large since I basically permacloak until I find the right target and then try and hit hard and get out quickly because I am ultra squishy. Any stand up fight I will lose.

About the lag though, are you playing NA Vivec? I came back in March or so playing here and there and I was getting my typical 120 ms and even 110ms on occasions. But now since summerset it is 140’s or weirdly 136ms at the best and mostly in the 160s to 180’s with spikes into the red 250ms+ occasionally. I’ve been watching some twitch streamers now and when you can see their latency counter it looks similiar to mine.

The big problem is that good ping is crucial in this game for pvp. I would put it before skills and your build. But who knows, it could just be me. Still getting some CTD’s that I hadn’t experienced for years so I’m suspicious. No addons running. I turned off everything and still same lag and weird CTD’s usually when using a fast travel portal.

But like I said, I bet they will get this fixed and in the mean time I have a lot of CP to catch up on. :)

That’s lot of ganking. Stamblade?

My play has been 40% Kyne, 40% Shor and 20% Vivec. I have definitely been in some gigantic blob vs gigantic blob fights on Vivec, though – those are the reasons I guest there. My pings are usually 110’s to 130’s. Not ideal, but I haven’t seen those ugly, multi-second spikes that I remember from a year+ ago.

Many are getting CTD’s since Summerset, though, including me. ZOS has acknowledged it and said they’re working on it.

Not all ganking. Lot’s of hanging around the edges of the zergs as the run back and forth between outposts and keeps.

I used to play melee magick nb. I gave up the dual wield swords finally and went destro/restro. I also just said f**k it and embraced the proc set meta. So I am running Zaans, Caluurians and Mother’s Sorrow. If there is no lag it works pretty well because I can get in somebody’s face and do a lot of damage if they aren’t impen’d to high heaven. The lag has been really bad for me lately since the new expansion. And I mean the baseline lag in off peak hours too. Can’t land a light attack from my destro staff sometimes.

The last 2 years since Dark Brotherhood I honestly haven’t played that much. I try it out every now and then for a few weeks. I skipped Morrowind. Came back recently after a 9 month break. It’s a great game when it isn’t lagging. Something went off the rails though. They were talking about server side processing improvements and using multiple cores for the new update but from my perspective things are much worse than just this last march and April when I started playing again.

If you’re a typical newish player with one or two level 50’s (or maybe none), then gathering is probably best. Gather, then sell the raw resources at a guild trader (you need to find a ‘trade guild’). Any class will do.

Grinding packs of mobs with AoE spells is the fastest way to level. However, fast leveling can be a trap if it’s your first character, as you will be bottlnecked by skillpoints. Instead, I recommend just following the primary questlines (the Coldharbour stuff, and your main faction storyline.) That is also a fast way to level, and it will give you enough skill points to avoid being crippled.

In short: Do lots of questing. Pick up every piece of wood, ore, cloth or herb you see and sell it. You’ll level fairly quickly and pile up gold.

Sounds like a plot to make you subscribe for the infinite craft mat bag!

So mid-year madness is on (double PvP rewards) and I tried battlegrounds for the first time last night. It was actually a lot of fun. Probably a good time to dip into PvP if anyone hasn’t done so. I’m not a huge fan of the PvE endgame in ESO (trials are too long and tedious IMO, though I haven’t tried any of the new ones) but PvP can be really great when there’s not too much lag.

I’ve been slowly leveling up a Magden since I got back in the game. There are a lot of complaints about how the Magden is underpowered on the official forums, and I can see how that’s true in PvE. In pre-level 50 PvP though, it’s been a blast to play and an absolute terror in battlegrounds. Most people in sub-level 50 PvP are not prepared for the amount of snares/immobilizes that a magden can put down. Running pretty suboptimal gear myself (blue training traited seducer’s + Kags) though that’s probably better than 80% of players in those BGs. I know I’m mostly picking on newbies but for once I can 1vX like people do on streams and videos.

Still playing this. Midyear madness was fun, got my magden from 0 to 2nd Sergeant. I do at least a round or two of Battlegrounds every session, it was kind of intimidating at first but from what I’ve seen people are pretty chill as you get decent rewards even if you lose. Swift jewelry is the best thing since Rapid Maneuvers and it should be on at all times unless you’re in a pve dungeon or trial.

Didn’t know about that spyware thing they pulled a while ago, was thinking about cancelling for a while (haven’t logged in since before summerset.), so that seemed like a good reason to do so. Cheers for that update earlier :)

Game is apparently free for the next 5 days as part of the Quakecon celebrations if people are interested in giving it a try (along with the Morrowind content).

Over the past two years or so I haven’t played much and am a bit puzzled as to the rebalancing that the game has gone through. Perhaps someone can give me some tips / insight?

From what I understand:
All character stats are basically scaled to the enemies, correct? Thus highlevel players just have access to more unlocked skills than entry level players, but the actual damage / health is all normalized to a certain average?

Has all progression has slowed to a trickle with percentile growth at most requiring a huge time investment to even level up, right? So for a casual player, leveling has basically become pointless?

Also my character is a veteran level 100 & my buddy is veteran level 500. These days when we hit upon a skull & bones enemy (in various regions), we get our asses handed to us, whereas that used to be doable with 2 players.

Are we just terrible at playing the game? Or has the game been rebalanced so that those enemies can only be tackled by mobs these days?

Thanks!

I just started this during the free trial and got absolutely hooked, but yeah, curious about all of the questions above. =)

I’ve been playing a lot recently and can answer these questions!

Yes, with the One Tamriel patch, everything scales. You are correct in that higher level players have access to more tools. I don’t know how they do the normalizing but it works great - you don’t have to consider at all what level a friend or associate is when you’re killing stuff with someone. And of course you can go anywhere and do anything.

Not at all. Leveling is as fast as ever. Plus, they give you daily log-in rewards which include stuff like super healing/mana/stamina potions and experience scrolls (to boost your XP gains). I just leveled a Warden to 50 and I never once thought it was taking a long time.

You’re not terrible!

There are various gradations of skull and crossbones bosses - the ones in delves (the mini-dungeons) will have around 150k hitpoints, and they can be soloed. Ones in the public dungeons will have probably 250k hitpoints, and a duo can usually kill them. Then there are the “group event” bosses in public dungeons, which a duo might be able to kill, but you probably need 3+ to do it. The guys roaming around in the open world are called World Bosses, and they’ll have 1 million + hitpoints. Two normally-geared guys probably can’t kill them. Three guys - maybe. Probably more (I would say for world bosses most groups feel uncomfortable unless you have 8+). Some of them are pretty straightforward, while others have nasty mechancs, so they vary in difficulty also.

Of course, well-geared players and experienced players can probably kill public dungeon bosses solo. I’ve seen it happen. But world bosses? No way.

In the new zone of Summerset, people are all the time forming impromptu groups to share the daily “kill this boss” quest - keep your eye on zone chat. Typically someone will announce they have the quest and will ask people to type a letter in zone chat. When you do that, you get autoinvited to the group, and they share the quest with you. You then port to a nearby wayshrine and run to the boss location. When the entire group is there, you start, and kill the boss. This doesn’t really happen in the older zones (or it’s more happenstance when it does occur.

That was very informative! Thanks very much.

Forgot to mention that two players can duo a dolmen (or geyser, as they’re called in Summerset). As with everything else, it varies depending on how annoying the final boss is. But I’ve duoed dolmens with a Sorc and my Stamina Warden before (it did include a few deaths but still, we got it done). Then again, I did a dolmen with two other players once that had a frost atronarch and the two of us who were meeling died a few times before we killed the boss.

It also turns out if you’re really good (I am not, this is not me!) you can solo the world bosses. I also found out from watching this video that there is a setting in the client somewhere to allow you to pick the color you want for the red “danger” zones.

I got a wild hair up my ass to play this again, so I’m downloading it. Do we as a community have a guild or anything I can jump into?

There is a Qt3 guild but it’s not active, maybe 3 or 4 people have logged into it over the last month. I’m frequently the only person in the guild who’s online. I’m on a fair bit though so if you need anything or have questions feel free to ping me (my handle is @Charlatan57).

The community is pretty friendly so don’t be afraid to ask questions in zone chat.

Most activity is in the new expansion zone (Summerset); I have also seen a lot of people in Davon’s Watch if Summerset is not an option for you.

My stupid question is: how do I join a guild?? Seems like my only option is to create my own.

Hi Charlatan,

Sent you a friends request in game… do you have the power to invite to the guild?

(aware it is not a very live guild, but I prefer the QT3 option in all games :)