The Elder Scrolls Online

Thanks guys! :)

If anyone else wants to join us please drop in.
It’ll be nice to have some more company.

Thanks! Free Drinks For Everyone!!

In the guild, thanks Charlatan and Jason!

Umm yeah apparently, you can’t just switch servers, you have to start with a new character…
But hey, maybe I’ll try a Khajiit then =)

Since there are a number of new players here, I thought I’d mention ESO’s addons. Just as with the single-player games, ESO has a lot of addons that improve quality of life.

First off, there is an external program used to manage addons. It’s called Minion. Discourse very nicely reminds me that @stusser talked about this back in May but there are new people around since then.

Crucial addons I use are:

• Craftstore Wolfhunter - lets you monitor your crafting research progress. Quite useful if you have multiple characters who craft
  • Dolgubon’s Lazy Writ Crafter - makes completing the daily crafting quests a one-click process
  • HarvestMap - marks on your map wherever you harvest something. Puts big floaty markers in the world when you get near too, so you can see where you’ve harvested something before.
  • Lui Extended - a UI makeover that adds a status bar, a cast bar, and lets you customize the health/mana/stamina bars for you, your group, and enemies.
  • Map Pins - puts markers on your map for everything - skyshards, lore books, dungeon bosses.
  • pChat - the one thing this does that I need is timestamps in chat. Without it, I look at my chat log and wonder “did this guy say he needed help 2 minutes ago or 20 minutes ago?”
  • Potion Maker - presents a nice interface for making potions.
  • Urich’s Skill Point Finder - shows a summary of your character indicating where they have and have not acquired skill points/skyshards per zone, dungeon, public dungeon, etc. Really useful if you’re into zone completion.
  • Votan’s Minimap - the best minimap.

I actually have more but those are the crucial ones!

Great post! :)
I’d also like to add:

• Awesome Guild Store - gives you a better guild store ui
  • Harvens Research Timers - watch your research tick down in real time ;)

One last tip before I get going in the workday: when you’re in a guild, you can port to any other online guild member without grouping or even letting them know you’re doing it. If you’re a low level player and need some waypoints, just port to another guild member and you’ll be placed in the zone at the closest waypoint to your guild mate. This is a great way to get a jumpstart on a zone you’ve never been to before.

Wow this was very nice. Too bad I’m playing on console and probably can do nothing of this… =)

Speaking of… Is this game cross-platform? ie can PC & console gamers hang out together? (assuming they agree on US or EU servers)

Uhm… probably not, since PS never allows that. Didn’t even think about that. Guess I’ll have so stink around alone after all =( Guessing not many here play ESO on PS4? =)

That’s a big no unfortunately, each platform is separate :( One of the things that has tempered my enthusiasm for jumping in after FF14’s cross-platform servers. (I still bought Morrowind anyway).

Thanks @Charlatan awesome info. I need some of those… there are some very old school/silly repetitive or pointlessly hard things about this game.

I’ll add Dustman as another critical add-on. An absolute must if you don’t have ESO plus, it automatically marks all the food and excess style/trait materials as junk so that they auto-sells next time you visit a merchant. Useful even if you have the craft bag, as it does the same for the various voidsteel/shadow junk items you can pick up from looting containers. I was able to turn on auto-loot with this addon and it actually saves a nice bit of time if you harvest/scavenge.

One addon I’m sad to see not maintained is Circonian’s BuffTracker It lets you keep track of what buffs you don’t have going, so I can remember to keep my Major Sorcery/MInor Berserk/etc. up. It still mostly works but I started getting some lua errors, so I switched over the Auramastery, which afaik is the only other addon that can do the same thing. It’s not nearly as user friendly though and not as reliable. Anyone else know of a buff tracker that can do the same thing?

I track those kinds of buffs using LUI, which has a section for “notable buffs” - you have to add the buff by name to a special list, and when the buff is there, it shows up in the list with a timer. It seems pretty reliable, though it’s probably a pain to install LUI just for that (I assume you could disable all of the other parts of LUI - the unit frames, raid frames, cast bar, etc).

Yeah, I use stendarr for that (which is really similar to LUI’s buff tracking, not sure if they come from the same code base?) to keep track of, well, notable buffs. But that’s more of a fluid list and a bit harder to read in battle, currently on my magblade I have 4 giant static icons that pops up if I don’t have minor berserk/major sorcery/mutagen/major ward up through Auramastery, but I’m finding that sometimes that stays even if I have the buff. Bufftracker was more reliable.

As someone who reads the books I highly recommend Librarian, which saves every book you’ve opened and lets you revisit them at your leisure. Particularly helpful in group dungeons where your party members will for sure not wait for you to actually read any notes, lore books, etc.

Thoughts on the membership price for the “extra DLC”?

If you sub to ESO plus you get access to all of the non main expansion DLC (so no Morrowind or Summerset). It is a tremendous value because the DLC is all pretty great, especially Orsinium and The Dark Brotherhood.

So started my first character and it sets me up in Morrowind automatically.

If I wanted to start out in the “Nord” starting location. Would that be possible? Can I start the Main Quest there?

Yeah, if I recall correctly you start with some sort of quest, something about a benefactor. Follow that and you’ll end up following the typical Ebonheart Pact storyline (same starting route for Dunmer/Argonian/Nord.) But there’s nothing to stop you from going over to the other alliances’ starting islands and doing those quests first.

ESO is pretty good at recognizing your race and prior actions (for a MMO anyway) though it’s just flavor.