The Elder Scrolls Online

Short answer: you might be able to port to Bleakrock Village on Bleakrock Isle (NW of Vvardenfell) or Davon’s Watch in Stonefalls (directly south of Vvardenfell) … I think you start with a waypoint there.

Longer answer: First a little background…

The start process for ESO is sort of jacked up now. Used to be you started out with a moderately long tutorial instance that set up the storyline. Then you were dumped on newbie island. After doing a questchain, you transitioned to the starter zone for your faction.

People complained that it was too long. They shortened it. People complained that it was too boring. They made it optional. Especially for second and third (etc) characters - they explicitly tell you that you can skip the tutorial.

That process changed with the expansions: now you start in the newest expansion you own. So if you started in Morrowind, that means you don’t have Summerset!

Now to answer your question…

You should be able to port from Morrowind to the Ebonheart Pact starting area, which is Bleakrock Isle (that’s the so-called “newbie island” which only has a few quests and is very small). The EP first zone is Stonefalls and the town would be Davon’s Watch.

Bleakrock Isle is a teeny island directly NW of Vvardenfell, and Davon’s Watch is due south.

There is a boatmaster (Dastas Arenim) who can take you between Vvardenfell and Bleakrock Village, which is the start point for Bleakrock Isle.

However…

Once you hit Davon’s Watch you will get a quest that asks you to talk to a “Mysterious Benefactor” - you will go into a house and you will end up experiencing most of the starting tutorial. It’s been shortened tremendously (it’s now like 10 minutes long at most) and when you’re done you get dumped back where you started (I think…). Once you do this, I think the main questline starts up.

Except for the fact that the tutorial features the voice acting of John Cleese, it’s pretty bleak. But his acting makes up for it (and you do meet the character more than once again!).

Yeah, I always listen through Cadwell’s dialogue - even if he isn’t directly part of a quest, I always speak with him. ESO has pretty good voice acting overall and decent writing for a MMO but Cadwell is a definitely a highlight.

I’m away from my computer right now so I can’t verify the name accuracy BUT:

I finished the starter quest In Morrowind and got off at the town there. I use the shrine to port over to Bleak Isle (I think). It’s a small snow looking zone. I immediately got a quest to help a lady and her friends who were turned into skeevers. I also wandered around a bit and got another request near a bandit camp that has Daedra worshipers in a mine. I walked over to town to see if I could start the main quest – and I could not seem to get “A Mysterious Benefactor” to start.

There were a few NPCs that acted like I had actually started in that town. That I had been pulled out of the water blah blah. I talked to the dark elf captain of the guard and she says she needs my help for a quest with a ship in the harbor – but there is no option to actually start the quest.

I decided to open some crates and got really lucky with an apex frost wolf :)

The Mysterious Benefactor quest starts in Davon’s Watch, so not until after you leave Bleakrock Isle. The conversation on Bleakrock Isle assumes the original start (i.e., you created your character, ended up in Coldharbour, escaped and were dumped out on Bleakrock Isle).

Like I said, it’s all messed up!

Thanks! I think it’s working out. I saved everyone and escaped Bleak Isle. Ending up in Bal Foyen with the implication that I will be headed to the big city soon!

There are a lot of unintuitive jumps you have to make on some of the quest strings. There were a couple of them that had me wandering around for a while before I figured out where/what I was suppose to do. There’s also some ‘you have to trigger this before you can continue that’ sort of stuff with the main questline, it can get a bit frustrating at times until you go through it once.

There’s a main questline?!??

There are two :) Or even more than that in this category.

The Cold Harbour quests are the core storyline of the base game. Those start with talking to the “benefactor” at some point and then meeting the Prophet. They are very rewarding in terms of XP and skill points.

The three factions each have their own major questline, too. Those begin on the old 'starter islands" of Stros M’kai (Daggerfall), Bleakrock (Ebonheart) or Khenarthi’s Roost (Aldmeri), and they involve contact with your primary handler. Eventually, they have you work for your faction ruler, and they take you through every zone in that faction’s territory. These quests, too, are quite rewarding in XP and skill points.

Finally, each DLC and expansion has its own primary questline. All of these have significant rewards.

These ‘main quests’ are distinct from the seventy-billion sidequests you bump into as you explore. Those are often quite well done, even shockingly well done, but tend to have poor material rewards.

Wow, thanks! I just went straight into Vvardenfell when I started so I didn’t bother much about quests outside of that area, but I took up the benefactor quest line now and a quest line with Razum-dar and it’s so much more fun =)

Razum-dar is great. I like that cat a lot!

@witajcie, if you’re asking how difficult it is to get to endgame… it’s not terribly difficult to get started. Getting all the gear you need is a much longer journey though. The steps as I see them are:

• level to 50 while leveling your skill lines: pretty easy. The only challenging part is leveling all your skill lines (many of the current meta builds use Caltrops, which is at 6 in the Assault line, so be prepared to do a fair bit of PvP for that). Many builds need maxed out Fighter or Mage guild lines. Or the Psijic line. Or the Undaunted line. So level up all those strange guild lines!

• Once you hit 50, get to 160 champion points: this is the start of your endgame experience. Once you hit 160 CP you can wear any gear in the game. So yay you!

• Set yourself up with a newbie level 50 set of gear: not difficult, since this set is probably crafted. You can either purchase your gear from a guild store or make it yourself. If making it yourself you will probably need acccess to level 50 6-tier crafters for armor (Clothing or Blacksmithing), weapons (Blacksmithing), enchants (Enchanting). Most starting level 50 gear sets specify “PvP jewelery” which is stuff you purchase from a vendor in (I think) Cyrodil - you can easily purchase this stuff from guild stores. I say 6-tier crafters because many of the sets are things like Hunding’s Rage or Night Mother’s Gaze or Law of Julianos, all of which require 6 traits to be researched before you can craft the set pieces. My specific outfitting experience is below as an example:

As an example of outfitting a new 50 I created armor for my new Warden - except the chest piece (it’s level 50 and a Heavy piece, I’m still leveling my blacksmith so that he can create it). CP 160 gear takes a ton of materials - my 5 pieces of leather armor took 800 Rubedo leather (about 8k to purchase off guild stores). I purchased two blue bows from the set I wanted (around 4k total) and improved one to yellow and one to purple (had to purchase one ingredient for 2.5k for the yellow bow). I purchased a blue axe and dagger from the set I wanted and improved them to purple (around 2k). I purchased two purple rings and one purple necklace from the set I wanted (around 8k). Total cost to purchase the pieces I needed was around 25k then - not including the cost of the upgrade materials I used to improve the items from blue to purple, since I already had them.

• once you have your starter 50 gear, you start improving it: the next tier of gear will be a mix of crafted and dungeon drops (depends on your spec). You will be running dungeons a while, including running Undaunted pledges to get keys for the chests which is where you get shoulder pieces. My warden is going to have to get 5 pieces of armor/jewelry from one dungeon and helmet/shoulder from either the Selene or Stormfist sets. So look for me in Blackheart Haven, Selene’s Web or Tempest Island!

• once you’ve got the upgraded set of gear, your final upgrade will mostly come from 12 man trials. So you will need to either find a good group of people or hope you can find random strangers to help you! For many classes, one of the weapons you need comes from the Veteran Maelstrom Arena, which is a solo instance where you have to survive a grueling nine-stage fight with bunches of bad guys. If you survive, you get a high-end yellow weapon. You just have to hope it’s the type of weapon you want!

See? It’s easy!

Great post!

I’d also like to add a possible alternate route. I play almost entirely solo and questing is my bag. I enjoy playing ESO like an online Skyrim. Once you finish the main quest you are automatically awarded access to the other factions quest lines. So I’m currently half-way through the 2nd faction.

Here is a useful guide if you’re a quest-ie like me :)

You do make it sound pretty easy! But all I can think is that whole process took me at least 6 months… Guess its better if you don’t have other stuff going on in your life, like a job or friends or other games!

WOW so stuck at a mission where I’m supposed to kill the leaders of the Veiled Heritance, and they just keep practically one hit killing me. Went at it 7 different times trying out different tactics and none of them worked, so now I’m annoyed enough to just throw the entire game away.
I mean, aren’t the missions levelled to yourself constantly? Or is there some secret level of missions I’m missing somewhere?

Quests are scaled to your level automatically but I remember that fight being particularly tough. Perhaps try stocking up on potions (for an emergency button) and food/drink (for buffs). What race/class are you? :)

Yeah, food/drink is key. Even if you just grab some green food off a table it’ll give you a healthy buffer to your health.

Enemies do scale but some encounters have a tougher setup than others. You might just need to unlock more skills before tackling them (for example, if you’re running stamina you might not have a good heal until later down the skill tree)

I have some purple potion slotted but I only get the chance to use it once before they kill me (cool down is a bit long).
I’m a Wood Elf Nightblade, and I’ve basically just levelled health, stamina and magick equally, but I guess that was stupid… heh. I´ll just leave this mission for a while and get better gear and equipment and health and skills… and everything. =(

I think it’s much more efficient to specialize in a particular area. For example I’m a high elf sorc and my stats are 64 magicka, 0 health, 0 stamina. For a nightblade you could choose to go all in on either magicka or stamina depending on your playstyle :)

EDIT: You can respec for a small gold fee at respec shrines and I believe there is a promotion running right now where the cost has been reduced to 1 gold.

Yeah, in the long run you’ll want to specialize, but while you’re levelling up balanced stats isn’t bad. Plus you’ll get a free respec somewhere along the way to lvl 50.

(Not sure if the free respec currently apply to attriibutes, but it’s not expensive at early levels anyway.)

In addition to potions, there are long lasting (30 minutes to 2 hrs) food/drink buffs that add say 5k to one or more of your stats. Just go to any town and steal some bread, or level provisioning.

Ah well, I might have to do that then. I’m at level 22 now so I guess I have a bit to gain by at least not use points on magic. Hm.
Now, though, I have this stupid problem that I’m “disguised” as a butt ugly veiled recruit since I just dropped the quest and I don’t know how to make her look normal again :´(