The Elder Scrolls Online

I was trying to help. Anyone wanting to play open-world warfare can jump to it, like now. Don’t have to wait for a game to be developed (that will be like having hunger and waiting for the wheat to grown…). It was a comment after stusser post.

I have heard that Fallen Earth is free to play, so there’s no economical barrier :D

oh - I didn’t understand that. Thanks for clarifying.

MMOs are to game companies what a McDonald’s franchise is to a start-up entrepreneur. The key to big riches.

It doesn’t matter that a lot of them fail. The potential payday for the ones that work is enormous.

Which are the ones that have had the enormous pay-day since WoW launched?

KotOR Online seems to be doing very well. I think LOTRO has done just fine. And I was under the impression that Rift sold in pretty large quantities…retention may have been a problem (I know I bought the Collector’s Edition, got my free month, subbed for one more month and quit.)

MMOs are all about retention, not box sales. The big payday is the recurring monthly fee for years if they are lucky. Since when is KoTOR doing well? They are handing out free play time like crazy and people are reporting how empty the servers are.

LOTRO is free to play which again, when people are making MMOs for the “enormous” pay-day, free to play isn’t what they are going for. You are correct about Rift tanking after a few months. So none of these have satisfied the whole enormous pay-day criteria.

Look at the success of the MMOs that came out before WoW and compare them to the ones that have come out since WoW. Most of them had long-term very healthy subscription numbers going on for years, not months. After WoW even the so-called mediocre successes of the pre-WoW MMOS would be considered amazingly successful in today’s market.

Rift and TOR are both maintaining. Neither one is a runaway success.

Trion anticipated this, and I imagine they’re pretty satisfied. EA, on the other hand, I imagine is very tense.

After feeling kinda “burned” by TOR, a multiplayer ES isn’t going to be a day-one purchase for me.

EQ, DAoC, and WoW were all successes for me personally. Since that time, I haven’t found an MMO that holds my attention for longer than 2 - 3 months. Rifts was very close. TOR worked until I finished the storylines.

The wish-list for MMOs, for me:

1. Something to do that isn’t leveling. Node harvesting, faction grinding, item farming… just something to do in the game when I’m not in the mood to level. TOR failed miserably here for me.

2. Compelling reasons to group and form in-game bonds. I like the “multiplayer” part of the MMO title, and not just for PvP. Rifts world-events nailed this. WoW instances/raids are solid for compelling grouping reasons as well. Striking that balance between allowing soloing and giving a reason to group is difficult.

3. Fun and optional PvP. No one has beaten DAoC at this, which is odd considering how long it’s been around.

4. A full-fledged crafting system that provides useful items but also requires some effort to take full advantage of.

Since it’s been 7 years since an MMO has come out that “grabs” me, I’m just laying off of MMO purchases until the next-big-thing is verified.

It is more than Matt Firor with a DAoC heritage here.

Many of the best and brightest from Mythic landed with Zenimax.

Here’s hoping nothing but success for them.

I agree with the principle that this won’t affect Bethesda but with Bioware talented people like James Ohlen were moved from the original Bioware to Austin, which probably has had an affect on the Edmonton studio games.

Yeah, I suspect a brain drain would have happened at BGS already if it were going to happen. Zenimax Online started all of this back in 2007.

talking to my buddy about Elder scroll MMO, and the first thing he said is

Im sure whatever it is, it will have bad animations

so true…

Is that a comment about ALL MMO animations, or just a snarky comment regarding Bethesda’s RPGs? Bethesda isn’t creating this and ZeniMax online is using HeroEngine.

And it’s making more cash as F2P then it did as P2P. DDO revived strongly under F2P. To the degree it’s got a full xpack.

Subscriptions are not the be-all and end-all.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

poot

I think he was referring to all the Elder Scroll Game animation…

Ironic that after years spent playing MMOs, Skyrim reminded me what it felt like to actually have fun in a game.

Some people have captured screenshots of the article in Gameinformer Digital.

looks screenshots

Looks like a mix of Dungeon Age, some D&D mmorpg game and… Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning?.

Massive meh.

Ever heard of a link?