The Empires in Arms Play By Forum Pre-Game Discussion Thread

Okay, my preferences would be:

1. 1740

Ooh, I vote 1740, too, actually.

Ok, that is two votes for 1740. @Panzeh? @MiquelRamirez? @Juan_Raigada? @Mark_Weston does this glue you in? Maybe @Brooski?

I’d rather do the standard game. The game will have to be modded anyway, and I already bought a book for this :P

I already own it ! :). Regardless of outcome, every Grog needs one of those. 🤓

Having said that, 1740 is a lot friendlier to España than 1805 is. ;)

Ok, 2 for 1740, one for 1805.

I don’t really care about playing Spain here

I figured, I was teasing. :)

I actually really like playing Spain.

Yes, how are we going to choose nations?

The best method is VP bidding, but since most of us have not played before, I guess either polite discussion or randomly?

I think any of those would work. A bidded amount is kind of baked into the Victory Conditions, so as an experienced player and your moderator, I’d be happy to indicate “fair value” amounts if you choose polite discussion or randomness, or even as an advisement before you bid. I think bidding should be the default, unless everyone is unanimously happy with another selection method.

I’ve got no preference as to a start point because I don’t know enough about the game to really say.

Then vote based on historical preference. Or I’ll assume 1805 as a default. :)

Awesome book. I’ve always wanted to get Nosworthy’s With Musket, Cannon, and Sword as well.

I prefer 1805 too.

Having had a day to convince myself, I’m definitely in. What could possibly go wrong?

Having never found the chance to play though, my first choice is 1805.

1805 it is. Friedrich der Große can wait for another year.

Or decade, given the length of the game

I just read through these, and they are superlative. I highly recommend we use them, and their recommendations on optional/alternate rules, wholesale. Do you gentlemen want me to do an item by item of the optional rules?

I see two kinds of optional rules in there:

1- the ones they wrote directly into the rules (in red)

2- the many crazy options at the end of the rulebook.

You are going to be moderating and the amount of special rules of the second kind seems crazy to keep track of. Since you are going to do the work, I’m fine with whatever you decide.

But I do think we need to explicitly say what goes in, because otherwise we’ll go mad. I’d go as far as to take the rule document and editing it to a “Qt3” approved state and using that as a single reference point.

I’ll go through it swath by swath, beginning tonight. If anyone has any objection, requests clarification or desires elaboration, I’m more than happy to oblige.

When done I’ll create a Medecine Politique copy.