The Expanse (SyFy)

I read most of the books, but honestly I’ve forgotten the details. The show and actors have stood out much more for me.

I do remember that the Amos scenes in the books felt more polished than the other characters. I’m happy they found such a good fit for him.

Man partway through season 3 and it’s fantastic so far. This really should get more love as a top notch sci-fi series.

It’s a great series, but when the heck is S4 coming out on Prime Video?

Rumor has it October. They should be announcing the date at Comicon.

I think December is more likely. But yes, sometime this Autumn. It has been announced for 2019, but beyond that – Amazon has been silent on the release date.

Wow, that’s amazing. I love how almost entirely wordless it is.

Yup, I can’t wait. Although I wonder what “New Terra” used to be. Can’t be Mars because they appeared to be in a 1 G environment, not a 1/3 G one. Terraforming doesn’t add THAT much mass to a planet.

Looks like Amazon is letting Avasarala swear.

And man, that looks exactly like what Murtry looked like in my imagination.

I love that actor. He was in Turn: Washington’s Spies, and often plays bad guys.

Season 4 is based on the 4th Expanse novel, Cibola Burn. The planet in the trailer is an entirely alien world, New Terra, one of 1300+ new worlds which can be reached through the Protomolecule Gates that opened in Season 3.

Gravity on New Terra is a little lighter than Earth’s but heavier than Mars. And yes, this causes a lot of problems for those not born on a gravity well - such as Naomi.

The villainous dude is Burn Gorman. Yes, he was in Turn and in Torchwood. He also appeared in Game of Thrones Season 4 as Karl Tanner, a member of the Night’s Watch who mutinied against Commander Mormont at Craster’s Keep, north of the Wall.

Season 4 drops on Amazon Prime Video on December 13, 2019.

I’m a bit confused. I thought at the end of the last season they were one of the first to go through one of the gates. Yet they land on a planet that is already colonized by humans?

And he played a totally different sort in Torchwood.

@Matt_W I was watching that trailer and thinking how different it looked from the first three seasons, then Chrisjen came on and said one line and it was like, well, some things never change.

There’s a bit of a time skip. This is a colonized world that Holden’s crew is sent in specifically to deal with a situation.

I hope the show improves the book here, because I kind of fell off the books halfway through this one. I suppose I should try and finish it and the book series some day.

I do hope they do a decent lead in for this because there is a jump from where the TV series left off and most of the stuff the previews show.
As far as the book, Cibola Burn threw a lot of people because the series shifted focus from being primarily space bound to being planet bound for most of the book. Myself I liked it and enjoyed the shift.

Huh. Of the five I’ve read, this one is my favorite.

This book also introduced a new major character,Elvi, who makes an encore appearance in the most recent book, many years/books later. I wonder whom they will get to play her?

They’ve cast Lyndie Greenwood as Elvi Okoye

Cibols Burn is where I kinda lost the thread, too. But the first books (and the 3 season’s of the show) were so good that I didn’t feel at all sore about it.