The Fall of Harvey Weinstein

Not all of us!

https://thezreview.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/Grumpy-old-man-shakes-his-cane-and-frowns-134394694_2122x1415.jpeg

I mean I’m close in age, but didn’t have cable growing up, so I have no idea what any of those shows are.

You didn’t grow up dreaming of sliding through chocolate syrup and thinking a bucket of slime dropped on top of you would be the coolest thing ever?

A truly deprived existence for @CraigM.

Then again, he also didn’t grow up screaming at the idiot kids on The Hidden Temple to fucking put the monkey together in the only fucking order a goddamn monkey made in three parts could possibly be put together holy fuck you worthless shitbags.

I thought the doctor one was a myth.

What do you mean? I can’t jam the head into the base? This is too confusing, let me turn it around so I can figure this out.

I grew up in a house where, when I was about 7, my parents flipped out and threw away my Ecto One and all the Ghostbusters toys because they literally thought it was leading to a demon invasion of the house.

So, no?

I had a friend who couldn’t watch Care Bears because magic was demonic, and she couldn’t do Rainbow Brite for the same reason. She was allowed to do Halloween but only as human things that didn’t involve magic, oh and another friend’s mom watched us play Magic and DnD and was shocked we didn’t chant or summon demons at whole time. I remember just looking at her saying, yeah we mostly roll dice.

Interesting times.

But only mostly, the animal sacrifice doesn’t happen until new moon.

I was the third of three boys. My mom burned my older brother’s comic book collection when he was a kid and wouldn’t let him watch The Herculoids because he had nightmares. By the time I came along, she realized that was pretty dumb so I had no issues like that, until she gave away all my Star Wars toys and our original G.I. Joe stuff. 🙄

I have a vision of 10-year-old Armando screaming this at the television and it explains soooo much. ;-)

Jesus, some of you guys had some strict parents! My two best friends and I all had divorced parents who worked odd hours or a lot of extra hours, so we literally could have summoned demons, dabbled in arcane rights or committed ritual sacrifice and nobody would have been the wiser. Instead we just played a crapton of video games and backyard baseball/football/basketball, rode bikes all over the place, watched MTV (back in the 80’s, when it actually had MUSIC videos) and played D&D, Dark Tower, Dungeon and a bunch of other games.

If I was a kid today, I wonder if I’d even have real friends, or if I would be attached to my Xbox and/or PC 24/7? Thankfully, my own kids seem to have managed to balance their lives, so they must not have inherited the total geek stuff immersion gene that I possess. =)

I legit laughed out loud.

That’s sad. I got the kids the Ghostbusters stuff and we loved the cartoon. We were ready for the demons. We would have kicked their asses.

Our parents threw out our comic books, and this was stuff from the 1960s. Early Marvel. We had Avengers #1. Now, no way it was mint, but it would still be cool to have it.

I was lucky with my baseball cards. I had them stashed away in a closet so they were somehow overlooked during the purges. I had a ton of 1967 Topps and ended up selling them as a young adult for about $1000. I could have made more by holding onto them, I’m sure, but I know that $1000 helped me out in some way.

My folks were fairly strict, but dad was a big technology geek, so there was always this war between wanting to have the family PC be a sick, modern rig (so, I mean, games seem necessary) and not wanting my brain to be corrupted by sin. I distinctly remember this hour-long argument with my parents before I could buy Diablo 2, trying to convince them it was a game about killing the Devil himsef and what could be more Christian than that?

But yeah, no Simpsons, South Park, Futurama, Ren & Stimpy (well, while mom was home; dad secretly loved that one), or other such grown-up shows for me until into adolescence, and hell, as recently as a few years ago, dad returned a CD I’d asked for for Christmas when he read the blurb on the front of the case and realized it was called “pagan metal.”

My parents were not really strict. No limitation on reading. No toys thrown away. No limitation on video games, and they were not forward thinking enough to police the internet.

They did restrict R movies though, and when I finally got around to watching Basic Instinct and Fatal Attraction… boring.

The crazy magic, Christian, whatever stuff came from other parents, and I just complied with whatever that was so I could play with my friends. It was easy enough to do, like showing them we don’t rehearse a page of jibberish to cast a spelll in DND, just dice.

Damn, if watching Nickleodeon as you grow up turns you into such a foul mouthed hater maybe it’s best if they go another direction.

I know the Nickelodeon stuff because my kids grew up watching that stuff, and whatever was on Disney, Sad to hear about the Spongebob guy.

There is a Ren & Stimpy episode where Ren meets the tooth beaver. That episode was enough to get my daughter to brush her teeth every day. :)

When I moved out of the house at 19 I threw out my baseball cards. I do regret doing that. I think I had 2-3 cards that I found out years later would have been worth money.

I still wish I could have some delicious Powdered Toast :(