The Fall of Harvey Weinstein

Harvey has a friend in the wilderness:

Lohan added of Weinstein: “He’s never harmed me or did anything to me – we’ve done several movies together.I think everyone needs to stop – I think it’s wrong. So stand up.”

Can’t go wrong with the Ditka defense.

This video is also about Lindsey Lohan.

Nice segue! That guy’s a riot.

Zach Anner is absolutely fucking amazing.

Too late now! His name got dragged into this. Many people won’t see the correction.

So far only Weinstein and Affleck look really bad.

I don’t think it’s too late.

I think that’s the key thing. Many men pressure women (hell I suspect most of us have begged when we were teenagers) to have sex with them. Some men threaten women, and small number outright rape them. Because the guys in the later group are often sexual predators and do this to a lot of women. Women experience a lot of Weinstein in their life. Very attractive women even more than others.

However, most people lie at times and even a larger number spread gossip. Most of the time the gossiping is just fun human nature, but it is also often a calculated move to hurt a rival. Accusing the record producer of being gay (I’m guessing this was 20+ years ago) and preying on young men is about as scandalous accusation as you can imagine.
Even if you hear the same allegation from multiple people it doesn’t necessarily make it true. It could just be an effective rumor-monger.

Years ago, my friend and I started a game company and our first game was about office politics. The key mechanic in the game was spreading gossip about your boss and your co workers to get him fired and to prevent them from getting promoted. We never really got the mechanics right, in part cause we spent our careers in tech and not entertainment.

CNN: How NBC gave up Ronan Farrow’s explosive Harvey Weinstein scoop

Now NBC is under scrutiny for another missed opportunity. Reporter and NBC contributor Ronan Farrow pursued leads about Harvey Weinstein’s misconduct for months, but NBC passed on the chance to publish his story.

“Ronan was basically told to stop working on this,” according to a source, who called the network’s decision “indefensible.”

More at the link.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fbfLFJ9AX4k

Maybe we all didn’t know about Ben Affleck, but anyone who watched this crappy 2000s-era VH1 (?) behind the scenes video did!

The world was a different place before social media.

[EDIT] Oh, that’s cute. Viacom has made a copyright claim on all these videos. Hmmm…

A couple hours later…

https://twitter.com/amtendler/status/918209320977911808

That Viacom copyright claim thing is some bullshit. Is that available anywhere else? That makes them look absolutely terrible, like they are suppressing evidence.

I didn’t care before and now I want to see it.

Some girls like a little tweakage here and there.

I’ve always thought Ben Affleck is creepy.

Anyway, this whole story is kind of mind-blowing, considering the number of famous people who, however much regretting it now, protected Weinstein.

Who are those people, specifically, who knowingly protected Weinstein?

I don’t understand. They protected him with their silence. Reading up in the thread, it would be Matt Damon, Russel Crowe, Ben Affleck, Brad Pitt (sort of).

This is absoutely commonplace in Hollywood. When I was working at LucasArts I had occasion to speak with people in ILM from time to time and they told horrific stories of various movie-type people they’d worked with over the years.

When you control the purse strings, you can do a lot of dirty stuff. Everyone is afraid of rocking the boat.

Looks like Tim James was right. People don’t read.

Too late now! His name got dragged into this. Many people won’t see the correction.
So far only Weinstein and Affleck look really bad.

You didn’t read up-thread. You skimmed. And so you apparently missed that Brad Pitt confronted and threatened Weinstein, and that the “Damon killed the NYT story” thing has been revealed to be erroneous.

So far, it looks like definitely Affleck, maybe Crowe. That’s more like a “couple” rather than a “number”, unless that number is “two”.

Blaming celebrities for this just seems like an easy, lazy exercise to me. Blaming Miramax and Weinstein Company executives and Weinstein assistants and lackeys is probably a much better placement of culpability at this point, until we learn more without dragging reputations without need.

Sadly, he sure was. Gives some credence to that study that showed people remember what they read first, not the things that follow.

While it sure seems like a lot of famous folks knew at least some of the horrific shit Weinstein was up to over the years, and some appear to have tried to confront him privately to get him to stop, it really isn’t the job of actors and actresses to police Hollywood, even the most famous ones.

The truth is, Miramax and later Weinstein’s own company should have cracked down on his shit long ago. They are responsible for letting it continue. You cannot tell me with a straight face that all those supposed settlements weren’t showing up in his financials somewhere, and that in turn, Miramax and the Weinstein Group were unaware that the financial situation of one of their top owner/investors included money being paid out to settle lawsuits, and what those lawsuits were rumored to be about. You can’t tell me that HR for either company didn’t have any idea this shit was happening. Nope, this was covered up because it was Harvey fucking Weinstein and he was making people shittons of money with his films…and hey, getting sexy aspiring starlets and underlings to do naughty things with you is what corporate Hollywood was founded on, right?

The focus on the stars is misguided. This starts and ends with the business side of Hollywood, and until they start paying a very high financial and personal price, this kind of shit will continue to be the norm behind closed studio doors.