The Fall of Harvey Weinstein

That’s not what I meant by my original post. My original post was not also as specific as it seems. That question comes out a lot. Why didn’t they speak out sooner? Why did they wait so long? They is not two women. They is many women, most these women, who are part of MeToo. Part of that answer is fear. Fear of people not believing them. Fear of being pushed away from their careers for ever. Fear of being blacklisted. These women refused, didn’t really speak out, and they were still blacklisted.

I’m trying to show people what happens when you speak out, and you have no real backing. Outside the military examples, and the actual lawsuits, this is probably one of the best examples of what efforts some of these men took to ruin the women they targeted.

Now we have the owner of the NFL Carolina Panthers accused of multiple acts of harassment, with the team allegedly making a number of payoffs. The NFL has taken over the investigation which makes sense because the organization has been complicit in the coverup. At a mimumum he’s going to be banned from any active role with the team, and I guess he might be forced to sell it:

Sad to see his legacy tarnished.

Well, that was quick:

http://m.panthers.com/news/article-2/Jerry-Richardson-will-put-Carolina-Panthers-up-for-sale/b4b0e583-fe21-4935-9a3a-242005729697

I’m curious to see the list of NFL owners (sole, majority, minority, etc) that haven’t actually sexually harassed anyone. I can’t imagine it’s a terribly long one.

I’m sure the NBA is better. That ancient Clippers owner who had the young black mistress but didn’t want any of her friends attending games seems like a stand up guy.

I’m curious to see the list of [Wealthy/Powerful/Influential] men that haven’t actually sexually harassed anyone. I can’t imagine it’s a terribly long one.

Yeah, that’s more or less what I was going for. Power corrupts!

Poor people always treat members of the opposite sex as they would want to be treated. There have never been poor people who sexually or physically harassed another person. Because they are poor.

No, but there are a lot of studies that show success can cause people to disregard the rules or start believing that the rules don’t apply to them.

No, but power and wealth tend to get away with it, which tends to breed a culture that tacitly accepts or encourages such behavior. It’s not that they are rich that causes them to act such a way, it’s that because they are rich they feel emboldened to do so when they may not have otherwise.

So obviously all rich people are slime.

Glad we settled that.

You’re the only person here saying that. But you don’t provide any evidence to support your position.

I love when we agree, Scuzz.

A list of all the non-owners that have sexually assaulted or harassed people and gotten away with it so far would be pretty boring since we don’t know 99.9% of the folks on it.

I guess we should stereotype the rich because it’s unfair to stereotype the poor :)

When poor people rape and assault people, they often show up in jail, with mugshots. When rich people do it, they continue doing it for decades, hiding behind lawyers and teams that go out of their way to destroy the women involved and their careers and throw tons of money towards anyone to make everyone around them complicit. If you need sources for this… read this topic.

^^^^ YES. This exactly. Well said @Nesrie.

I would only say that this isn’t entirely about rape and assault though. It’s about the way people treat other people, in this case women. Women can be abused and sexually mistreated by many people in their lives who are not rich but who are simply in positions to do what they want with them.

Sure, everything in the news now is about the rich and powerful, but that type of behavior isn’t limited to them and it isn’t an automatic jail sentence to do it if you aren’t rich.

The problem of men believing they are more important than women isn’t limited to the rich.

Except that’s not what was said and that some of us are responding to:

“I’m curious to see the list of [Wealthy/Powerful/Influential] men that haven’t actually sexually harassed anyone. I can’t imagine it’s a terribly long one.”

Perhaps you should read this topic too :)

I’d be a little surprised if Bill Gates wasn’t on that list.