The final countdown... TETRIS

— Alan

The story of Tetris and the tangled snarl over the rights is pretty fascinating, but I wonder how much “dramatization” they’ll add to boost the tale.

How does this trailer not use the Ozma cover of the Tetris theme song?

This makes me want to subscribe to Apple TV+ ngl

How does it not use this

Well this looks terrific.

I clicked on this assuming it would be something stupid. Now I want to see it.

If they don’t find a way to include Boom Tetris for Jeff I’ll be disappointed.

Best Final Countdown remix i’ve heard.
Anyone know if it’s released or were made for this trailer only ?

I’d like to find it and you seem have wide knowledge .Might could help me

God I loved Ozma back in the day. Thanks for the reminder this exists :)

Kind of looks awful IMO. The story around Tetris and it’s export outside of the USSR is fascinating and has all kinds of moments which are plenty dramatic on their own, but this trailer looked almost like a comedy skit version of it.

I guess I’m a media pleb, but I like gussied up historical drama (like “Midway”).

After giving some space between watching the trailer, I’m warming on it a little bit. But I guarantee I’ll be rolling my eyes so hard it’ll hurt whenever an action set piece shows up. Tetris is all about the cerebral, hollywood, and that includes its birth!

I hear that.

Kermode quite liked it, though it does seem as the trailer suggests that it’s needlessly action-ified.

It’s not “needlessly actionified.” It’s fucking brilliant. All of it. We just watched it and I think it’s one of the best films I’ve seen in years. The casting, direction, script, and acting are excellent, and the movie runs the fine line between too much and too little extremely well.

I lived in Berlin in that time period, when the Wall came down, and was pretty much every day looking over at Russians and their buddies. Got to see them come on the duty train and do their little inspections and attempts at intimidation. Drove through their checkpoints eventually. The movie nails the KGB types at the end of the USSR’s reign, the thugs who would eventually end up as Putin’s retinue.

Is it amped up a bit over dry historical documentary? Sure. Would be, well, a documentary if it wasn’t. But it is a damn well done film and thoroughly entertaining from start to finish.

I thought the movie was well done, though as with almost all movies these days it’s about 20-30 minutes too long for my taste. I dunno how close the story is to the real history, but it’s well written and executed, even if I could have done without some of the 8-bit graphic interludes. I thought all the actors did a fine job, including Egerton in the lead. They did the end-of-Cold-War feel of the USSR portion well, though the tail end of the movie certainly qualified as “actionified” in my book. Whether it’s needless or not is I suppose in the eye of the viewer.

I did think that most all the business people were jerks, even Hank - maybe especially Hank, taking big risks with his finances without doing due diligence and making handshake deals that allowed others to screw him over later. I found myself wishing that he’d lose his shirt over the deal, he deserved to. But such is capitalist life, I suppose, sometimes it all works out.

I agree that “wisdom” was not a word that came to mind regarding any of the business dealings in the film. But, if you were around in the late 80s, the video game space in particular was rife with fly by the seat of your pants cowboy mentalities. Hell, so was Wall Street.

It’s Henk, not Hank.

I’m looking forward to seeing it. It’s pretty crazy seeing Hiroshi Yamauchi portrayed on screen in a major motion picture!

I just want to say thank you for your unabashed enthusiasm of this movie. That’s what it takes for me fit in a movie into my schedule somehow these days. After reading your post, I used every spare minute this weekend to watch this movie, and I just finished it this morning. I just want to echo your sentiments. I loved it. I had a great time. And in the last few scenes, starting in Tokyo, when they start playing the melody for Opportunities By Pet Shop Boys, I was ecstatic. Perfect way to end the movie. I always felt like that song was written for a movie, and now here’s that movie finally! :)